Author Topic: Donny Marshall says that The C's are in 3rd place for Grant Hill  (Read 8060 times)

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
CSN 6:32

Behind Suns (money)
and Knicks

Tanguay and Marshall both see Baby still going to the magic despite Otis Smith denials

Re: Donny Marshall says that The C's are in 3rd place for Grant Hill
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 06:41:47 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Well more power to Hill if that's the case.

I can see Orlando offering Baby a close to MLE deal. Sounds like they're striking out on FA's pretty bad. If Bass doesn't go there, well, they need to get somebody right?

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Hrm.

So what's our game plan if we miss out on both BBD and Hill?

Even with Sheed that doesn't put us in a great position.  We really need a really solid backup for Pierce.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 06:44:30 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
Marshall (and Tanguay) saying its all about the wives. Marshall says the C's have to convince Tamia that it's not too cold in Boston. lol.

I think that's it for the C's news today on CSN

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 06:45:09 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If that's true, there's not much we can do about it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 06:45:16 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
LOL. I guess NY is a tropical paradise..

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 06:45:52 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Phoenix, where I live, is miserable right now. Give me Boston!

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 06:47:18 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
I read of a possible sign and trade of David Lee to Portland for Outlaw/Blake. I think a BBD for Outlaw trade should be #1 on Ainge's to do list.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 06:49:44 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Donny looks so ill with that beard.

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 06:50:39 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
move on and find a wing and a PF...simple as that...i think a trade is coming if they miss out

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 06:52:41 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I read of a possible sign and trade of David Lee to Portland for Outlaw/Blake. I think a BBD for Outlaw trade should be #1 on Ainge's to do list.

FROM ~ROY HOBBS' SALARY CAP FAQ~

14) If it looks like we're going to lose BBD as a free agent, could we sign and trade him to another team?

Nothing prevents us from signing and trading BBD using the Early Bird exception.  However, Base Year Compensation rules (as explained in Question 13) make it pretty tough to pull off such a trade.  For instance, if BBD signs for $4.0 million in his first year, there is *no* 1-for-1 trade that could be made for him under BYC rules.  There may be some wiggle room by including a minimum salary player, but there's not much.

By example:

Let's say BBD signs for $4 million in the first year, and we want to trade him to Team X.

For BYC purposes, BBD's salary counts as a $2 million salary outgoing from Boston.   To fit within trade rules, the most salary we can take back from another team (Team X) is 125% of that amount, plus $100k.  That amounts to $2.6 million.

Does that mean we can acquire a player making $2.6 million, then?  No.  The trade has to work from Team X's end, too, and from their end, they have to count BBD's entire $4 million salary.  The absolute least amount they could send out in a trade of a $4 million salary is $3.12 million.  As you see, that's still more than the $2.6 million Boston can take back.

Now, one way around this would be to include a minimum salary player in the team (going from Team X to Boston), because minimum salary players don't have to be counted as incoming salary in a trade.  For instance, let's say we want to trade BBD's $4 million salary for a player making $2.5 million and a minimum salary player, making around $800k.  Can we do that?  Yes.

As noted above, Boston can trade BBD's hypothetical $4 million salary for a player making up to $2.6 million.  In this case, the $2.5 million player fits under this restriction.  Because minimum salary players can be included in a trade at any time without counting against outgoing salary, from Team X's end, it is only sending out $2.5 million in salary (when, in actuality, the real number it is trading is $3.3 million).  On the other hand, remember that Boston has to take back at least $3.12 million in salary.  Does it meet this requirement?  Yes, because Boston can elect to include the actual amount of salaries it is taking back, or in this case, $3.3 million.

The lesson to learn here is that a sign-and-trade with BBD is possible, but it's not probable, due to the small margin of error with which the Celts have to work in terms of matching salaries.

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 06:54:56 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
CSN 6:32

Behind Suns (money)
and Knicks

Tanguay and Marshall both see Baby still going to the magic despite Otis Smith denials

If he stays in Phoenix, fine. He's comfortable and could become well paid there. But.... to choose New York? Why? That team isn't going anywhere next year. That would be a strange move.

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 06:56:06 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Marshall (and Tanguay) saying its all about the wives. Marshall says the C's have to convince Tamia that it's not too cold in Boston. lol.

I think that's it for the C's news today on CSN

When did Grant Hill become Doug Christie?  :o

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 07:25:21 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31

Totally agree. We need Outlaw. he could play 3/4 with his size. Get Oberto or someone for the LLE as the other big. Wait until trade deadline and trade expiring contracts for a PG.

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 07:25:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
LOL. I guess NY is a tropical paradise..

LOL! exactly. TP for that one