Author Topic: Ainge: "idea of Celtics better without Kyrie makes no sense"  (Read 3422 times)

Ainge: "idea of Celtics better without Kyrie makes no sense"
« on: February 18, 2019, 06:34:46 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
 Ainge: Idea of Celtics Being Better Without Kyrie Irving Makes No Sense
https://985thesportshub.com/2019/02/14/kyrie-irving-all-star-game-danny-ainge/

"It's completely illogical. It makes no sense," Ainge said Friday on the Toucher & Rich Show (h/t John Karalis of masslive.com).

"If you just look at the data over the past two years our team has been so much better. It wasn't but a month ago that we were trying to figure out ‘how in the world are we going to score without Kyrie on the court' [...]

Kyrie is by far our most efficient offensive player, without question. And our team, when Kyrie is on the court over the past two years, is by far more efficient with Kyrie playing than when he's not. So no, I think it's ridiculous to think."
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/02/danny-ainge-blows-off-better-without-kyrie-irving-talk-its-completely-illogical.html

Re: Ainge: "idea of Celtics better without Kyrie makes no sense"
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 06:49:57 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Anyone willing to get over the fact that we traded IT for Kyrie can see that. I think most of the vitriol and irrational hatred he gets is based on leftover hurt feelings from the IT trade.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 07:01:41 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Anyone willing to get over the fact that we traded IT for Kyrie can see that. I think most of the vitriol and irrational hatred he gets is based on leftover hurt feelings from the IT trade.
Really?  I think by now 90% of the fan base forgot IT was on the team.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 07:33:50 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

IT is too ball dominant threads were the name of the game back then. I think people just forget how things are in the playoffs. You gotta have someone that can get you buckets when the offense bogs down. Offensive droughts will catch up to you.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 07:38:18 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Both Kyrie and IT4 are terrible at defense.  Kyrie is just less terrible.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 07:41:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This isn’t true of this season though. Kyrie has been at worst average this season.

Good steals, deflections and loose ball gathers, and average man defence. It’s when he gets switched onto wings and bigs that he gets in trouble, but he’s way better at picking their pocket when they try to post him up compared to last season.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 07:41:35 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Since Kyrie joined the team last year there has been a few versions of Kyrie. The Kyrie that opened up last season after Hayward was injured was determined to get everyone involved, moving the ball around and showing everyone he could lead. His scoring average hovered around 20.0 a game. His assists weren't terribly high, but sometimes that stat can be deceiving. The Celtics went on a nice winning streak, everything was fine until he got hurt.

Then there was the Kyrie that opened this season, he was interested in more total control, he looked to up his scoring average and also his personal assists. His average is presently hanging around 24.0 a game. He refuses to allow anyone to close out a close game but him. The team has been up and down throughout the season, players are arguing among each other. Not good.

There is a version of Kyrie that can get this team and make it the best it can be. I'm not sure which Kyrie he actually has the desire to be sometimes. That's the problem I have with him. His overall talent is undeniable.   

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 08:33:31 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
This entire post is spot on...he refuses to let anyone close out a game. I'm still not sure he makes the team better. When it comes down to making the right basketball play at the end if the game will he pass it if that's the right play to make?

I'm still trying to figure him out. I'm not feeling the mix of Kyrie and AD. Just too many games missed between the two when I see Tatum, Rozier and Brown rarely missing games.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 08:44:08 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
This entire post is spot on...he refuses to let anyone close out a game. I'm still not sure he makes the team better. When it comes down to making the right basketball play at the end if the game will he pass it if that's the right play to make?

I'm still trying to figure him out. I'm not feeling the mix of Kyrie and AD. Just too many games missed between the two when I see Tatum, Rozier and Brown rarely missing games.

We've literally seen him do this. This season. Immediately the Phoenix game comes to mind. Kyrie draws a double team and passes it out to Marcus Morris for a 3 to force overtime.

But yeah. That doesn't matter. Doesn't fit the narrative.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 08:49:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
AD ad KI. are like Ferrari s, high strung ,  easily boken ,   high maintenance players .....very high.....but if your in the sport to finish FIRST ....not just place good .We need these two to WIN the finals not just show up with a 10 % chance .

Yes they are high maintenance..... CBS and DA need to special care of them.   Here is where Doc excelled .  Handling these types of players .

My big issue is how the team will play defense without Smart .

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 09:13:14 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

I thought that too but I've come to the conclusion that the people who hate Kyrie a) hate him because of his reputation at the Cavs as being selfish, aloof and rebellious; and/or b) just don't like him as a person. Because it doesn't matter with some people that his attitude with the Celtics has been all about team, growth, learning and support for his teammates, he carries his past baggage with him forever.

Wouldn't it suck if in our lives people still held us responsible for things we did when we were young, even if we've made an effort and taken steps to change. Makes redemption stories impossible really.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 09:57:04 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
This isn’t true of this season though. Kyrie has been at worst average this season.

Good steals, deflections and loose ball gathers, and average man defence. It’s when he gets switched onto wings and bigs that he gets in trouble, but he’s way better at picking their pocket when they try to post him up compared to last season.
He's improving but was terrible in that Lakers game.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 10:51:49 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Your first point is the opposite of spot on. I love Kyrie's ability to get to the rim at the end of a game. He can take over. There are not many guys in the league that have someone like that. We should be appreciative.

I completely agree with you about Kyrie and AD. They've consistently had injuries through their careers. AD looks like he just gets dinged up all of the time, while Kyrie was dealing with the knee issue for years. Hopefully that is behind him.

The combo of Kyrie + AD is too enticing to worry about potential injuries. Danny would need to provide depth and Coach Stevens would need to manage minutes.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:14:44 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 10:55:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He's improving but was terrible in that Lakers game.
Sadly he was not alone. Our perimeter defence in that game was abysmal
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 11:06:31 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125

We've literally seen him do this. This season. Immediately the Phoenix game comes to mind. Kyrie draws a double team and passes it out to Marcus Morris for a 3 to force overtime.

But yeah. That doesn't matter. Doesn't fit the narrative.

So you pick one game and that makes it so. What about the Orlando game when he didn't get it and pouted? Why did we even need a clutch shot vs the Suns?