Author Topic: Reddit: Danny Ainge strolling downtown - Switching over to plant based diet  (Read 8435 times)

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Red meat is generally safe to eat; in moderation.

I do know that red meat is the leading cause of pollution, and wasteful resources. It generally puts a strain on the environment to process red meat.

Researchers have identified another reason to limit red meat consumption: high levels of a gut-generated chemical called trimethylamine N-oxide (TMAO), that also is linked to heart disease. Scientists found that people who eat a diet rich in red meat have triple the TMAO levels of those who eat a diet rich in either white meat or mostly plant-based proteins, but discontinuation of red meat eventually lowers those TMAO levels.

TMAO is a dietary byproduct that is formed by gut bacteria during digestion and is derived in part from nutrients that are abundant in red meat. While high saturated fat levels in red meat have long been known to contribute to heart disease—the leading cause of death in the United States—a growing number of studies have identified TMAO as another culprit. Until now, researchers knew little about how typical dietary patterns influence TMAO production or elimination.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/study-links-frequent-red-meat-consumption-high-levels-chemical-associated-heart-disease

I mean to be honest we could sit here and talk about just about any food you could eat besides raw green vegetables and find something wrong with them. Plant-based diet what do you end up eating gluten? soy?

Outside of sugar though you can find a way to make just about any whole food fit in a diet and be really healthy. I just hate seeing people blindly demonizing meat based on propaganda that has been put out by lobbying groups. I have seen similar things, but will watch this king corn documentary. Suggest others do. Its important to know the history on this stuff and not just blindly start giving nutrition advice to others.

There's propaganda everywhere, unfortunately.  Meat and dairy industries (national cattlemen's beef association, national pork producers council, etc) have their fingerprints all over past federal nutrition guidelines.  Sugar is indeed a huge issue.  Industry is relentless - they spend millions to influence not just legislators, but also professional associations such as the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, which has partnered with McDonald's, Pepsi, and other big name brands.  Even the American Medical Association accepts this (they were also once in cahoots with the tobacco industry.

It's no surprise why people are confused on what they should be eating. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:26:13 PM by SCeltic34 »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Long distance cyclist here, with osteoarthritis in both knees. No strong feelings about meat.

When I switched to a vegetarian diet, a couple of things happened. The amount of inflamation in my knees decreased dramatically. Also, my recovery time after a long ride shrunk.

I'm not a good vegan because I gotta have dairy in my cappuccino. Also I don't want to live in a world where I can't put Parmigiano-Reggiano on my pasta.

I've been running 2 miles every other day for 35 years. Rub some Penetrex cream on your knees at night and before racing. I also use cho-pats knee pads to reduce compression. Pasta is good for runners, with or w/o cheese. :) The less meat the better when you get older. I have a whey protein shake for breakfast, with a bunch of vitamins.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Danny can still eat beyond and  impossible burgers ;D

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

lol

thank god for these. And also Worthington plant based burgers

the other ones I have tried are brutal

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

lol

Yeah, most are not really burgers, but plant-based something formed into patties. I think once you realize that what you are eating is not a burger, these 'burgers' become a lot more enjoyable (even more so since they are generally healthy). I still add tomatoes, pickles, ketchup, mustard, etc and enjoy these all the same. As far as chicken patties go, Gardein has by far the best option with their chicken cutlets; they are simply delectable. But I also genuinely enjoy Boca's chicken patty and liken it to the McChicken from McDonalds. I'll have to try Worthington's.

I generally eat a lot of whole grain rice/pasta dishes with meatless ground beef or Quorn 'chicken' and I don't miss the beef or chicken at all.

Also, big TP to SCeltic34 for his professional contribution to this thread. That was some very helpful information!

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

lol

Yeah, most are not really burgers, but plant-based something formed into patties. I think once you realize that what you are eating is not a burger, these 'burgers' become a lot more enjoyable (even more so since they are generally healthy). I still add tomatoes, pickles, ketchup, mustard, etc and enjoy these all the same. As far as chicken patties go, Gardein has by far the best option with their chicken cutlets; they are simply delectable. But I also genuinely enjoy Boca's chicken patty and liken it to the McChicken from McDonalds. I'll have to try Worthington's.

I generally eat a lot of whole grain rice/pasta dishes with meatless ground beef or Quorn 'chicken' and I don't miss the beef or chicken at all.

Also, big TP to SCeltic34 for his professional contribution to this thread. That was some very helpful information!

Gardein is nice... I like the meatless meatball. Haven't really tried the chicken stuff

haha we plant based folks know the good stuff by now

I will check out quorn...thx

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
There are so many pseudoexperts, and so much misinformation out there on nutrition - including in this thread.  I am a professional (registered) nutritionist with an advanced degree, have worked in hospitals for many years and have seen thousands of people with all types of ailments, from heart disease to gastrointestinal cancers to eating disorders, and have read thousands of studies over the course of my education and professional work.  It's unfortunately difficult to change peoples' perceptions on certain foods as food choices are a deeply personal decision, and I hate debating nutrition on the internet because of this.  But here goes.

I never recommend the ketogenic diet.  Ever.  There's multiple reasons for this.  First and foremost it cuts out the healthiest foods that you can put in your body - beans, lentils, fruits, certain vegetables, some nuts (depending on how you plan things out) and nutritious grains such as quinoa.  Second, it is has not been shown to be superior if the long-run - which is what matters - than other "diets" for weight loss.  Third, it's often inadequate in certain micronutrients (such as potassium, which is actually vastly underappreciated, and others such as folate and magnesium) and inadequate in fiber (not technically a nutrient, but also vastly underappreciated in its role in human health).  Fourth, from biochemical and physiological standpoints, combined with observation data, the ketogenic diet stands on shaky ground.  It's not just heart disease that is of concern, but increased risk of other ailments such as colorectal cancer.  Fifth, few people are knowledgeable enough, or dedicated enough, to actually tailor their daily diet to reach and maintain a true state of ketosis.  Sixth, weight loss is great, but it by itself is not a panacea, and you are still at risk for developing medical problems if your overall diet is unhealthy, especially if compounded by other factors (stress, lack of sleep, smoking, etc).  If your weight rebounds because you couldn't maintain the diet, then you're actually worse of than when you started since large scale weight fluctuations have a negative impact on your health.  Seventh, the potential benefits do not outweigh risks or the effort involved to follow the diet.  You can achieve the same weight loss goals while including all foods. There are more reasons but that should suffice.  A ketogenic diet is medically indicated is for epilepsy or perhaps other neurological conditions but otherwise it's not a good idea.

A nutrition pattern (I hate the word diet) that is predominantly - or exclusively - plant-based is far superior.  There's not only growing scientific evidence of this from observational and clinical data, but it makes sense from physiological and biochemical theory as well.  Of course you don't have to be a vegetarian/vegan to be healthy, but if you want to offer your body the best chance of remaining healthy (nothing in health or medicine is certain), or reversing/managing certain chronic diseases, then a plant-based diet is the way to go.  I'd bet my entire bank account - hell, I'd bet my life - that if every American adopted a plant-based diet overnight and stuck with it, that you would see the prevalence of the top killers of Americans - heart disease, cancer, obesity-related conditions such as diabetes - plummet dramatically.  Flexitarian can work, and the Mediterranean pattern is very good too.  Just like any nutrition pattern, your food choices need to be balanced.  And ultimately, just do what works best for your body.  A co-worker of mine is vegetarian, she tried being vegan for a while but for some reason felt low on energy without some dairy.  So she's lactovegetarian and does just fine this way.

It's also a bit sad that some people still think that you have to eat tofu (or some other generally unpopular item) or you're out of luck.  True, there was a dearth of convenience vegetarian/vegan items not long ago, but today there are tons of options - plant-based yogurts, ice cream, cheeses, protein bars, meat substitutes - along with the true staples of a healthy eating pattern (vegetables, legumes, etc).  There's also an abundance of websites dedicated to plant-based cooking with incredible recipes.  I don't even need to list them because google will help with that (but I certainly can if needed).

With regard to Danny, I believe I read somewhere that his hypercholesterolemia is genetic.  Some people cannot achieve normal cholesterol numbers even with a good diet, exercise, and other lifestyle changes.  But what he is doing cannot hurt.  Good luck Danny.

I mean I could sit here and tout my mph and that I work for one of the biggest healthcare companies and the country and tell you there are plenty of top doctors that vouch for a keto deto and it’s positive impact on biomarkers. I’m willing to believe and admit there are certainly some people’s bodies that will respond better to a plant based diet than they will a keto one. But you can leave this holier than though stuff at the door

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
There are so many pseudoexperts, and so much misinformation out there on nutrition - including in this thread.  I am a professional (registered) nutritionist with an advanced degree, have worked in hospitals for many years and have seen thousands of people with all types of ailments, from heart disease to gastrointestinal cancers to eating disorders, and have read thousands of studies over the course of my education and professional work.  It's unfortunately difficult to change peoples' perceptions on certain foods as food choices are a deeply personal decision, and I hate debating nutrition on the internet because of this.  But here goes.

I never recommend the ketogenic diet.  Ever.  There's multiple reasons for this.  First and foremost it cuts out the healthiest foods that you can put in your body - beans, lentils, fruits, certain vegetables, some nuts (depending on how you plan things out) and nutritious grains such as quinoa.  Second, it is has not been shown to be superior if the long-run - which is what matters - than other "diets" for weight loss.  Third, it's often inadequate in certain micronutrients (such as potassium, which is actually vastly underappreciated, and others such as folate and magnesium) and inadequate in fiber (not technically a nutrient, but also vastly underappreciated in its role in human health).  Fourth, from biochemical and physiological standpoints, combined with observation data, the ketogenic diet stands on shaky ground.  It's not just heart disease that is of concern, but increased risk of other ailments such as colorectal cancer.  Fifth, few people are knowledgeable enough, or dedicated enough, to actually tailor their daily diet to reach and maintain a true state of ketosis.  Sixth, weight loss is great, but it by itself is not a panacea, and you are still at risk for developing medical problems if your overall diet is unhealthy, especially if compounded by other factors (stress, lack of sleep, smoking, etc).  If your weight rebounds because you couldn't maintain the diet, then you're actually worse of than when you started since large scale weight fluctuations have a negative impact on your health.  Seventh, the potential benefits do not outweigh risks or the effort involved to follow the diet.  You can achieve the same weight loss goals while including all foods. There are more reasons but that should suffice.  A ketogenic diet is medically indicated is for epilepsy or perhaps other neurological conditions but otherwise it's not a good idea.

A nutrition pattern (I hate the word diet) that is predominantly - or exclusively - plant-based is far superior.  There's not only growing scientific evidence of this from observational and clinical data, but it makes sense from physiological and biochemical theory as well.  Of course you don't have to be a vegetarian/vegan to be healthy, but if you want to offer your body the best chance of remaining healthy (nothing in health or medicine is certain), or reversing/managing certain chronic diseases, then a plant-based diet is the way to go.  I'd bet my entire bank account - hell, I'd bet my life - that if every American adopted a plant-based diet overnight and stuck with it, that you would see the prevalence of the top killers of Americans - heart disease, cancer, obesity-related conditions such as diabetes - plummet dramatically.  Flexitarian can work, and the Mediterranean pattern is very good too.  Just like any nutrition pattern, your food choices need to be balanced.  And ultimately, just do what works best for your body.  A co-worker of mine is vegetarian, she tried being vegan for a while but for some reason felt low on energy without some dairy.  So she's lactovegetarian and does just fine this way.

It's also a bit sad that some people still think that you have to eat tofu (or some other generally unpopular item) or you're out of luck.  True, there was a dearth of convenience vegetarian/vegan items not long ago, but today there are tons of options - plant-based yogurts, ice cream, cheeses, protein bars, meat substitutes - along with the true staples of a healthy eating pattern (vegetables, legumes, etc).  There's also an abundance of websites dedicated to plant-based cooking with incredible recipes.  I don't even need to list them because google will help with that (but I certainly can if needed).

With regard to Danny, I believe I read somewhere that his hypercholesterolemia is genetic.  Some people cannot achieve normal cholesterol numbers even with a good diet, exercise, and other lifestyle changes.  But what he is doing cannot hurt.  Good luck Danny.

I mean I could sit here and tout my mph and that I work for one of the biggest healthcare companies and the country and tell you there are plenty of top doctors that vouch for a keto deto and it’s positive impact on biomarkers. I’m willing to believe and admit there are certainly some people’s bodies that will respond better to a plant based diet than they will a keto one. But you can leave this holier than though stuff at the door

It's not holier than thou, nor is it meant to come off as if I know it all.  I did not intend for it to come off this way.  Nutrition is a very imprecise science, and it's just that if you really think about it, a keto diet makes very little sense.  Biomarkers are one thing.  I'd rather take everything into account.

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Gardein is nice... I like the meatless meatball. Haven't really tried the chicken stuff

I like the Gardein fake fish. I add seaweed and ume plum vinegar to my tartar sauce to give it a pretty fishy taste.

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Long distance cyclist here, with osteoarthritis in both knees. No strong feelings about meat.

When I switched to a vegetarian diet, a couple of things happened. The amount of inflamation in my knees decreased dramatically. Also, my recovery time after a long ride shrunk.

I'm not a good vegan because I gotta have dairy in my cappuccino. Also I don't want to live in a world where I can't put Parmigiano-Reggiano on my pasta.

I've been running 2 miles every other day for 35 years. Rub some Penetrex cream on your knees at night and before racing. I also use cho-pats knee pads to reduce compression. Pasta is good for runners, with or w/o cheese. :) The less meat the better when you get older. I have a whey protein shake for breakfast, with a bunch of vitamins.

Thanks Dude I'll try it out.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

It's not holier than thou, nor is it meant to come off as if I know it all.  I did not intend for it to come off this way.  Nutrition is a very imprecise science, and it's just that if you really think about it, a keto diet makes very little sense.  Biomarkers are one thing.  I'd rather take everything into account.

Please explain why it makes “very little sense”. If someone is eating fish and veggies with some olive oil, nuts, green veggies, grass fed meat. How is that crazy or unhealthy? Yeah if people start eating bacon and cheese and sausage it will go downhill very quick, but it is completely nutritionally sound and has positive impacts on brain health, diabetes, cardiovascular risk just to name a few. For someone stating how knowledgeable you are, the way you are dismissing this is incredibly ignorant

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
It's not difficult to cure hypercholesterolemia for Chinese medicine, only if the patient want to try it :angel:

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Keto has a lot of medical evidence for both weight loss and including the bodies biomarkers. That diet has a ton of meat. There are many ways of being healthy, and it really does bother me when people imply that meat eating is responsible for excess weight or bad biomarker readings. I don't bash people for doing the plant-based thing and believe you can be tremendously healthy with that also.

Glad to see you bring up the Ketogenic diet.  I've been at a normal weight for quite a while but I definitely had some issues with insulin resistance.  Food coma's and brain fog were a problem after high carb meals.

I went on a strict Ketogenic diet for roughly 6 months.  Intermittent fasting on an 18/6 window was also part of the plan.  The difference in mental clarity and focus was nothing short of amazing.  As you mentioned, there is plenty of evidence showing that the Keto diet can help with anti-inflammatory markers.  I had blood work done after and my results were excellent across the board.  In fairness, I didn't get my work done prior to going on a Keto diet.

Currently I'm on more of a balanced diet and I don't restrict any macro nutrient group.  I just make sure not to overindulge on fats and carbs at the same time.  Anyways, I've noticed that I have zero issues with energy levels after a high carb meal.   

My general opinion is that the majority of people can maintain good health on a number of different diets.  Keto just happens to be an excellent way for people to fix their bodies from years of sugar and high inflammatory foods.  The high carb high fat combo is also a recipe for disaster. 

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 09:05:24 AM by Green-18 »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Please explain why it makes “very little sense”. If someone is eating fish and veggies with some olive oil, nuts, green veggies, grass fed meat. How is that crazy or unhealthy? Yeah if people start eating bacon and cheese and sausage it will go downhill very quick, but it is completely nutritionally sound and has positive impacts on brain health, diabetes, cardiovascular risk just to name a few. For someone stating how knowledgeable you are, the way you are dismissing this is incredibly ignorant

Now, I am in no way an expert and what I am saying might just sound dumb, but I remember reading one time that humans were different than other 'carnivores' in that we need to cook our meat in order to avoid getting sick. Of course this doesn't happen every time, but the odds are much greater. The exception to this rule is fish.

So, yes, nuts, beans, olive oil, chia seeds, avocados, even fish are good examples of fatty foods that are healthy (in moderation). I am sure extremely lean and unprocessed meats are probably fine on occasion  (not my thing), but that is generally not what we are talking about in the American diet. I think there is a slippery slope with the quality and quantity of meats people generally eat. Honestly, I think people would be surprised how little they miss steak if they just stopped eating it for a while. I am not sure how to get people off of the bacon craze, though - it's so trendy right now.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:35:08 AM by jambr380 »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White

For all the reasons I previously listed, and more.  You can achieve the similar results with more food options.