Author Topic: Excellent "Summer Notes" article on CelticsBlog  (Read 5330 times)

Re: Excellent "Summer Notes" article on CelticsBlog
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 05:19:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Amused by those comments about Tacko.

About how those NBA types would go right through him.

Well, I saw Zion against him, and Zion did not go right through him.

If Ainge makes something of him, some NBA scouts and GMs will look bad.
Zion wasn't an NBA player.  Ainge didn't draft Tacko just like all the other GMs.

Zion wasn't an NBA player.?

He's the best prospect since LeBron.

Get out of here with that weak stuff.  Hating on Tacko. You fought the Fall and the Fall won.
In a mostly positive fluff piece before next season starts, a team executive said Tacko needed at least one to two years of NBAGL work to build a game. He also said Tacko had a long way to go to be an NBA player.

The article was almost overwhelming positive about everything and the most positive thing they could find on Tacko was that he isn't an NBA player and us going to take years of work in the G League, if it is to happen?

This isn't weak stuff hating on Tacko. It's what a team executive said about Fall. He is easily movable and the NBA guys will just power through him. It's very fair and realistic criticism of the current state of Tacko as a player. Tacko just might be a couple years away from being a couple years away from being anything in this league....just like that Toronto draftee that, I guess, never did get to be even that.

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 05:39:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Zion wasn't an NBA player.  Ainge didn't draft Tacko just like all the other GMs.

Get out of here with that weak stuff.  Hating on Tacko. You fought the Fall and the Fall won.
In a mostly positive fluff piece before next season starts, a team executive said Tacko needed at least one to two years of NBAGL work to build a game. He also said Tacko had a long way to go to be an NBA player.

The article was almost overwhelming positive about everything and the most positive thing they could find on Tacko was that he isn't an NBA player and us going to take years of work in the G League, if it is to happen?

This isn't weak stuff hating on Tacko. It's what a team executive said about Fall. He is easily movable and the NBA guys will just power through him. It's very fair and realistic criticism of the current state of Tacko as a player. Tacko just might be a couple years away from being a couple years away from being anything in this league....just like that Toronto draftee that, I guess, never did get to be even that.

Bruno Caboclo. Actually the guy is finally playing decent ball. He played very well for Grizzlies in Summer League.  Several articles about him being very suitable in today's game.

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 05:47:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What's everybody's guess as to who was quoted in this piece?

Team Executive -- Zarren?

Coach -- Larranaga?

Opposing Executive -- ?

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2019, 06:08:22 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
It is great to see opinions of Celtics players coming from the front office and coaching staff.

Sounds like Robert Williams could start the season as the 5th big.

I'm excited to see how the offense changes without Horford as an offensive hub and how they end up playing defense.

I noticed how they said they wouldn't give away Hayward, but they didn't say he wouldn't be moved if the value was right. If he plays well enough that he might pick up his option I think they trade him as he will suddenly become a valuable asset.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 06:28:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I noticed how they said they wouldn't give away Hayward, but they didn't say he wouldn't be moved if the value was right. If he plays well enough that he might pick up his option I think they trade him as he will suddenly become a valuable asset.

This would present an interesting situation.

As they pointed out, Hayward came to Boston to win a title .... well, that's probably not happening before Hayward hits age 30-31+.

If Hayward plays at or near an All-Star level this year, you have to think he'd look to cash in next season in what will be a very weak FA market.

You also have to imagine the team would have a difficult time bringing him back since they'll have to pay Jaylen Brown as well and Hayward plays the same position (effectively) as both Jaylen and Jayson.

I also found it interesting that the team exec. seems to think Rob Williams will once again be on the outside of the rotation.  Not a surprise, but I think that will possibly surprise (maybe annoy) some fans, including some posters here.  Timelord has a lot of potential but he's still a long way off.  Kanter, Poirier, and Theis are all seasoned professionals with proven skills. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2019, 06:46:54 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

This would present an interesting situation.

As they pointed out, Hayward came to Boston to win a title .... well, that's probably not happening before Hayward hits age 30-31+.

If Hayward plays at or near an All-Star level this year, you have to think he'd look to cash in next season in what will be a very weak FA market.

You also have to imagine the team would have a difficult time bringing him back since they'll have to pay Jaylen Brown as well and Hayward plays the same position (effectively) as both Jaylen and Jayson.

I also found it interesting that the team exec. seems to think Rob Williams will once again be on the outside of the rotation.  Not a surprise, but I think that will possibly surprise (maybe annoy) some fans, including some posters here.  Timelord has a lot of potential but he's still a long way off.  Kanter, Poirier, and Theis are all seasoned professionals with proven skills.
Hayward for Turner would be my preference but Hayward would need to play lights out to make that a reasonable deal.

LaMarcus Aldridge for Hayward would work if Aldridge let San Antonio know that he might not stay in free agency next year.

Hayward for Drummond could work, it would balance out our roster and make Detroit better right away.

Maybe a 3 team deal where a team looking to improve at the wing gives up picks and we get Steven Adams out of that deal.

Poirier is the one that really interests me. I can picture Kanter and Theis succeeding but I'm not sure Poirier has the lateral quickness to defend in the modern nba. I reserve the right to change my mind after watching him in the world cup.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 06:52:39 PM by Evantime34 »
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2019, 06:54:26 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
While there were a lot of interesting quotes about players, here's the one that stood out to me as the most exciting:

"But I do know, we’ll be a team that fans feel good about rooting for again.”

Mike

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 06:59:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I have to agree. As I stated above, this sure seemed like a feel good, positive puff piece on the Celtics and two of the most unpositive things said seemed to be about Robert Williams and Tacko Fall

This article sure is hinting strongly that those in the Celtics front office and on the coaching staff felt Tacko wasn't an NBA player currently and would need, possibly years in the G League to build him into being any type of NBA player and that Williams was still a major project and outside of the rotation. Now, we know on this site those two players have a set of fans that are quite vocal and are convinced both Timelord and Tacko are awesome and will be huge parts of the team this year. Bet that group of fans won't agree with this assessment of our young big men from people in the Celtics organization.

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 07:04:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
While there were a lot of interesting quotes about players, here's the one that stood out to me as the most exciting:

"But I do know, we’ll be a team that fans feel good about rooting for again.”

Mike
Goes along with recent quotes from ownership and management about this coming team being a great group of guys and we were adding all high character, high quality people that want to be here.

Are you listening Kyrie, Terry, Mook, Al? Pretty sure that is all directed at you guys.

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2019, 07:09:44 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

With all do respect to the NBA executive. I think that statement is completely preposterous.

Tell me he can't shoot beyond 8 feet. Which is true. Tell me he's a 35% free throw shooter which is true.

Tell me he's not strong enough when he's six tacos away from 300 pounds. He's built preportionally.

Zion Williamson one of the strongest prospects in the history of basketball bounced off him in the Tournament.

That's just a ridiculous stance to take IMO.

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2019, 10:07:32 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
[quote author=Evantime34
Poirier is the one that really interests me. I can picture Kanter and Theis succeeding but I'm not sure Poirier has the lateral quickness to defend in the modern nba. I reserve the right to change my mind after watching him in the world cup.
[/quote]

Same. I'm not expecting him to be quick enough to earn starter minutes, but I'd love to be wrong. He does look like he's built like a truck, though, and at least in the highlights he doesn't shy away from contact or contests. Be interesting to see if he understands verticality the way Baynes did, if he can bang with the Joel Embiids and Robin Lopezes of the world at least enough to bother them.

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 10:41:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

With all do respect to the NBA executive. I think that statement is completely preposterous.

Tell me he can't shoot beyond 8 feet. Which is true. Tell me he's a 35% free throw shooter which is true.

Tell me he's not strong enough when he's six tacos away from 300 pounds. He's built preportionally.

Zion Williamson one of the strongest prospects in the history of basketball bounced off him in the Tournament.

That's just a ridiculous stance to take IMO.
Saying things like this make me question whether you watched Duke v UCF.

Also, Zion hasn’t gone through any NBA strength training. Guys like Embiid, Drummond and Giannis are all currently stronger than Zion, even if they’re lighter.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2019, 10:42:58 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

I think the issue is that Tacko is such an extreme case, all of these things can be true at once. He has some very clear deficiencies that could be exploitable deal breakers, but he's also literally the longest guy in the history of the league, healthy, and was very effective in college. If he develops at all, that's good enough for a bench player. Maybe better. If he doesn't? Out of the league. Nobody can really say.

My assessment is he's definitely worth a final roster spot. It doesn't guarantee an ounce of success, but his upside is clearly high enough to roll the dice.

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2019, 12:21:54 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

I think the issue is that Tacko is such an extreme case, all of these things can be true at once. He has some very clear deficiencies that could be exploitable deal breakers, but he's also literally the longest guy in the history of the league, healthy, and was very effective in college. If he develops at all, that's good enough for a bench player. Maybe better. If he doesn't? Out of the league. Nobody can really say.

My assessment is he's definitely worth a final roster spot. It doesn't guarantee an ounce of success, but his upside is clearly high enough to roll the dice.

I agree. I really can't see the harm in keeping him on the roster—and, conversely, I can't see the logic in keeping a "typical" 15th man (that is, someone with no real upside or standout feature) over someone with Fall's potential.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2019, 12:54:35 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

😹👍🏼🎶
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021