Author Topic: Excellent "Summer Notes" article on CelticsBlog  (Read 5528 times)

Excellent "Summer Notes" article on CelticsBlog
« on: July 23, 2019, 01:28:25 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/7/23/20707110/boston-celtics-notes-from-summer-league-kemba-walker-grant-williams-tacko-fall-carsen-edwards

Just random thoughts from Celtics coaches and executives and opposing coaches and executives about all the Celtics.

One key take away for me in regards to TimeLord:
Team executive on Williams’ development: “We knew he was a project when we drafted him, but a worthy one. Sometimes a project gets tossed early, but Robert is a guy we’ll go the distance with. Word of warning: Don’t put too much on this kid too early. We signed a lot of bigs for a reason.”

There are too many great tidbits for me to list them all.  Must read!

Re: Excellent "Summer Notes" article on CelticsBlog
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 01:47:12 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Great stuff, good read.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 02:01:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Excellent stuff. TP, libermaniac.

Some things I found interesting.

Tacko Fall:

“The favorite player in Vegas! (laughs) I mean who didn’t love Tacko out here? He’s a worker. He’s got a long way to go to be an NBA player. But he’ll work for it for sure. A year or two in the NBAGL would do him wonders. The biggest thing for Tacko is adding strength. He can do a lot with that size, but he gets moved around too easily. NBA guys will power right through him. And he just needs to learn how to play our game. But he’s worth working with.”

1-2 years in the NBAGL. That does not sound to me like someone that will be making the 15 man roster anytime soon.

Gordon Hayward:

"We think he’ll be back in a big way. Brad (Stevens) has some cool wrinkles on how Hayward will be used this year on both ends of the floor.”

"Gordon is going to be the dude who unlocks everything. He’s so skilled in all facets of the game. I saw him before we left to come here and he was kicking everyone’s ass in the gym. He wants to prove he’s still that dude.”

I think Utah Hayward will be back. Sounds like team coaches and execs think it too.

Robert Williams:

“We knew he was a project when we drafted him, but a worthy one. Sometimes a project gets tossed early, but Robert is a guy we’ll go the distance with. Word of warning: Don’t put too much on this kid too early. We signed a lot of bigs for a reason.”

Maybe some are going to be majorly disappointed because this doesn't sound like someone destined to be a rotational player this year.

Jayson Tatum:

"He’s going to be an All-Star. If his numbers were down, it’s only because no 19-year-old had been at that level before. Kemba (Walker) is a great addition and (Gordon) Hayward is going to be better, but Tatum is the franchise in Boston.”

That from an opposing team exec. Awesome.

Jaylen Brown:

“I think last year showed that Jaylen is a guy who will do whatever it takes to win. We had to move him to the bench and he did it. Then he played like a rocket whenever we put him in. He’s a tough kid too. Some guys think he’s ‘too smart’, whatever that means, but he’s tough and a worker.”

So per a Celtic coach, Brown adjusted and played great last year is tough and a great worker and he doesn't care about the whole "Too smart for his own good" crap. So much for the whole "Brown is lazy and doesn't work hard enough" BS that some Brown detractors love to spread around the blog.

“All-Star. Multiple times. Just like Jayson (Tatum). Everyone loves Kawhi (Leonard) and PG (Paul George) as a wing duo. We think we have our own version growing right here in Boston. It’s gonna take a couple more years, but those guys are stars. And neither has an ego. They just want to play and win.”

This from a team executive. Clearly the team has decided they are building around the Jays. For that reason, I won't be expecting a trade of either or either not being signed long term.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 02:24:52 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Thanks for posting, I'd missed that article. Great info.

This was the bit that caught my eye:

Opposing executive on Tatum: “We tried to get him. The price they asked was insane, as it should be. He’s going to be an All-Star. If his numbers were down, it’s only because no 19-year-old had been at that level before. Kemba (Walker) is a great addition and (Gordon) Hayward is going to be better, but Tatum is the franchise in Boston.”

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 02:27:58 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
This will make the trade-Hayward-for-a-PF crowd ill:

Opposing executive on Hayward: “After it was clear Kyrie (Irving) was leaving, I told our owner that we could maybe grab Hayward for nothing if Boston tore it down. He’s owed a lot of money, but only a couple of years left. We made a call, but it got shut down quickly. I think Danny (Ainge) and Brad (Stevens) know what they have in Hayward for this year and going forward. He’s going to be really good again.”

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 02:29:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
i bet they are all in the best shapes of their lives too.  ;D  i hope all of the above is correct and the celtics can win a lot of games and maybe even the championship.

but for that to happen virtually everything has to turn out right. there are a number of questions marks.
will jaylen and jason improve?
will kemba be able to make the TEAM better?
will TL develop a basketball game?
will the rookies provide any help?
and biggest of all perhaps, which hayward will appear?)

they all might turn out great. but that is a lot of question marks for one team.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 03:55:11 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
so it's okay to be optimistic?

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 03:58:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
TPOP

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 04:04:40 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I wish the season started TOMORROW!!!

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 04:10:41 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
so it's okay to be optimistic?

I'm extremely optimistic, but then again, that is the propaganda that's put out by teams around this time every year.

Still, I think we have an much talent as anyone in the NBA, with the best coach, and exciting potential for growth and development.

Notice that my signature was written way before the trade deadline.

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 04:18:21 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Amused by those comments about Tacko.

About how those NBA types would go right through him.

Well, I saw Zion against him, and Zion did not go right through him.

If Ainge makes something of him, some NBA scouts and GMs will look bad.

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 04:23:39 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

Zion wasn't an NBA player.  Ainge didn't draft Tacko just like all the other GMs. 

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 04:36:25 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Tacko was allowed to stand in front of the rim all game long. There are literally rules preventing that in the NBA and entire gameplans designed to get "rim protectors" moving laterally and away from the rim.

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 04:45:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Tacko was allowed to stand in front of the rim all game long. There are literally rules preventing that in the NBA and entire gameplans designed to get "rim protectors" moving laterally and away from the rim.

He did a decent job of avoiding Defensive 3 Second Calls in Summer League, although I must admit the refs seemed to ignore the infraction quite a bit. Will be enforced more once season starts.

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 04:57:38 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Zion wasn't an NBA player.  Ainge didn't draft Tacko just like all the other GMs.

Zion wasn't an NBA player.?

He's the best prospect since LeBron.

Get out of here with that weak stuff.  Hating on Tacko. You fought the Fall and the Fall won.