Author Topic: Star Wars: Episode IX  (Read 29346 times)

Re: Star Wars: Episode IX
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2019, 08:22:27 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Maybe lightsabers will actually touch in this movie?

TLJ didn't gave a single lightsaber battle.
An improvement from the “lightsaber battle” at the end of TFA
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2019, 08:41:30 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I'm fortunate that, like the widespread critical consensus, I thought "Last Jedi" was absolutely brilliant.  That just magnifies my hype for this movie even more.  I feel bad for fans who hated it and will be going into this one wading through salt.

Some really shady stuff was going on with the critics with something in the 90’s for Rotten Tomatoes and like 45 percent of the audience liked it. That RT score stuff has been revealed to be not super reliable.

I only hated some parts of the Last Jedi but they were big parts. I’m definitely going to see it but I’m gonna wait because I don’t want to hurt the viewing experience for a few of my friends that DID like it. I had friends that ruined Man of Steel and BVS for me. I loved them and not everyone has to like what I do but out of respect for others people really shouldn’t crap on stuff out loud non stop when someone else is just enjoying the experience. Sci fi, fantasy, comic book movie fans are the worst at this. Bunch of babies.

Or maybe people didn’t like it, it’s not a big conspiracy.

« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2019, 09:06:34 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I'm fortunate that, like the widespread critical consensus, I thought "Last Jedi" was absolutely brilliant.  That just magnifies my hype for this movie even more.  I feel bad for fans who hated it and will be going into this one wading through salt.

Some really shady stuff was going on with the critics with something in the 90’s for Rotten Tomatoes and like 45 percent of the audience liked it. That RT score stuff has been revealed to be not super reliable.

I only hated some parts of the Last Jedi but they were big parts. I’m definitely going to see it but I’m gonna wait because I don’t want to hurt the viewing experience for a few of my friends that DID like it. I had friends that ruined Man of Steel and BVS for me. I loved them and not everyone has to like what I do but out of respect for others people really shouldn’t crap on stuff out loud non stop when someone else is just enjoying the experience. Sci fi, fantasy, comic book movie fans are the worst at this. Bunch of babies.

Or maybe people didn’t like it, it’s not a big conspiracy.

Oh, I think most people DIDN’T like it. What I think is fishy is that nearly every single critic DID.

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2019, 12:50:12 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I am just constantly amazed that these types of movies elicit such strong responses. Modern action movies are cool and fun, but unpacking their value at such a fine level confuses me. I go see films like this and people say "oh that sucked" or "that was so amazing", and I kinda just look like erm, OK, how?

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2019, 01:05:45 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Minimal excitement for this. Just seems like Disney is just throwing a bunch of fanservice in our faces hoping we forget how bad The Last Jedi was. And just lol at that LarBrd33 comment: "absolutely brilliant" ...riiiiiiight.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2019, 05:03:12 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I am just constantly amazed that these types of movies elicit such strong responses. Modern action movies are cool and fun, but unpacking their value at such a fine level confuses me. I go see films like this and people say "oh that sucked" or "that was so amazing", and I kinda just look like erm, OK, how?
Because this is not just ''this type of movie''. This is not your generic Avengers/Fast&Furious flick. It's a part of a iconic and groundbreaking saga which has altered not just science fiction but moviemaking in general. A New Hope has been inducted into the National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." It is the only movie from the 70s to be inducted. There are practically zero movies from the 2000s in the registry. The iconic soundtrack, which in my opinion still stands as the BEST film suite to date, has been added to the National Recording Registry. Around these films (which take themselves very seriously, unlike the sequels). Around these films there exists a wonderful and gargantuan expanded universe which includes critically acclaimed video games, books and comic books. These movies have some pretty high standards to uphold and precisely because it has been made like a ''modern action movie'' is why people are upset. They are disrespecting the Star Wars legacy.

« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2019, 08:10:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't go to move with tons of fan theories in my head and I tend to enjoy them more than those who do....

The main things I thought were dumb, was the bad guy dying too easy and why did they keep Princess Leia alive in space, she should have died.   But overall, I liked it but I did not go into it expecting this or that.

I remember how bad sci-fi movies were in the 50-70s until Star Wars in terms of effects.  So I am also grateful for the modern ones, people that grew more recently tend to take that for granted.

« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2019, 09:00:23 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I don't go to move with tons of fan theories in my head and I tend to enjoy them more than those who do....

Yeah, I'm interested in fan theories after I've seen the movie. Not before.

« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2019, 09:44:56 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

TLJ throne room fight was a joke. Guys just swinging weapons around as they backed away so Kylo and Rey could fight them one at a time. They just did t care how ridiculous it looked or how little sense it made.

« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2019, 09:56:42 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
You don’t have Luke have a lightsaber duel. EVERYONE wanted this. EVERYONE. But haha surprise!!! Subverted expectations. Training unnecessary. What a disaster.

Maybe my favorite thing about TLJ is how Luke went out. Saving your friends by passively and nonviolently using your enemy's anger against him by making him attack a literal phantom is exactly how a Jedi should "fight".  Much truer to what Jedi are supposed to be than Yoda doing 800 flips in a row while waving a laser sword. Best Jedi death since Obi-Wan.

It's kinda interesting how there's a split here between people saying the sequels have too much fan service and those saying it didn't have enough.

« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2019, 10:11:49 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
You don’t have Luke have a lightsaber duel. EVERYONE wanted this. EVERYONE. But haha surprise!!! Subverted expectations. Training unnecessary. What a disaster.

Maybe my favorite thing about TLJ is how Luke went out. Saving your friends by passively and nonviolently using your enemy's anger against him by making him attack a literal phantom is exactly how a Jedi should "fight".  Much truer to what Jedi are supposed to be than Yoda doing 800 flips in a row while waving a laser sword. Best Jedi death since Obi-Wan.

It's kinda interesting how there's a split here between people saying the sequels have too much fan service and those saying it didn't have enough.

The biggest fan service I would've liked was having Han, Luke, & Leia together at some point. JJ killed that idea right off the bat in Force Awakens.  It sucked.  You have this sequel trilogy and you don't even bring the three of of them together once.  Not once.  I really hope Kylo doesn't find redemption either.  He did Han.  You shouldn't be allowed to bounce back from that.

Also, it would've been nice to bring Lando around before Episode IX but at least they're finally bringing him in. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2019, 10:27:47 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

TLJ throne room fight was a joke. Guys just swinging weapons around as they backed away so Kylo and Rey could fight them one at a time. They just did t care how ridiculous it looked or how little sense it made.
the breakdown in choreography in the throne room was because daisy ridley did  some moves wrong and missed some steps

And the careless directors didn't seem to care about it

Also, plot wise it doesnt make sense. Why are the guards attacking Kylo ren? He's a first order leader. Yea he killed snoke but snoke is clearly dead so Kylo is their new supreme leader. They should have been protecting Kylo. Their allegiance is to the first orders leader

« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2019, 10:30:54 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Because this is not just ''this type of movie''. This is not your generic Avengers/Fast&Furious flick. It's a part of a iconic and groundbreaking saga which has altered not just science fiction but moviemaking in general. A New Hope has been inducted into the National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." It is the only movie from the 70s to be inducted. There are practically zero movies from the 2000s in the registry. The iconic soundtrack, which in my opinion still stands as the BEST film suite to date, has been added to the National Recording Registry. Around these films (which take themselves very seriously, unlike the sequels). Around these films there exists a wonderful and gargantuan expanded universe which includes critically acclaimed video games, books and comic books. These movies have some pretty high standards to uphold and precisely because it has been made like a ''modern action movie'' is why people are upset. They are disrespecting the Star Wars legacy.

I mean, that the new films "sucked" doesn't make the first three any less important for their time, or just good to watch.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2019, 11:02:37 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

The biggest fan service I would've liked was having Han, Luke, & Leia together at some point. JJ killed that idea right off the bat in Force Awakens.  It sucked.  You have this sequel trilogy and you don't even bring the three of of them together once. Not once. 

There's always Force ghosts.

But also remember Harrison Ford only came back if they'd kill off Han - he was never doing 3 more movies - so it's not entirely Abrams' fault.

I really hope Kylo doesn't find redemption either.  He did Han.  You shouldn't be allowed to bounce back from that.

I mean Vader blew up an entire planet, we just weren't emotionally attached to any of them.

A major theme of the series is no one is irredeemable or incorruptible (with maybe the exception of the Emperor+Yoda) so I wouldn't be surprised. I just hope if it does happen it's more of a Vader redemption through death than getting a truly happy ending.

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2019, 11:23:32 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

The biggest fan service I would've liked was having Han, Luke, & Leia together at some point. JJ killed that idea right off the bat in Force Awakens.  It sucked.  You have this sequel trilogy and you don't even bring the three of of them together once. Not once. 

There's always Force ghosts.

But also remember Harrison Ford only came back if they'd kill off Han - he was never doing 3 more movies - so it's not entirely Abrams' fault.

I really hope Kylo doesn't find redemption either.  He did Han.  You shouldn't be allowed to bounce back from that.

I mean Vader blew up an entire planet, we just weren't emotionally attached to any of them.

A major theme of the series is no one is irredeemable or incorruptible (with maybe the exception of the Emperor+Yoda) so I wouldn't be surprised. I just hope if it does happen it's more of a Vader redemption through death than getting a truly happy ending.

I knew Ford wasn't going to be in it for the long haul but it would've been nice to see the three pivotal characters reunited before he was killed. 

I didn't have the emotional attachment to the faceless (Jimmy Smits, excluded) inhabitants of Alderaan that I had for Han.  It's not exactly rational thinking on my part but its fiction anyways.   Also, technically, shouldn't blame be placed at Tarkin for that?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team