Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 241607 times)

Re: Positive Story About Robert Williams
« Reply #810 on: July 13, 2018, 12:00:51 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
This is an interview in Boston.com with Williams' High School Coach.  Says many positive things, not just about his abilities, but about his character. 

I feel that the press is all about finding the negative. Thought this would balance things out a bit.

Let's hope he gets on the court again soon.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/07/12/celtics-robert-williams-high-school-coach

Looks like he was an NBA scout for 24 years.  How the hell did a guy like that find his way to North Caddo, Louisiana?

Also, there's this little gem, about a community service project the team did:

“He got everybody up,” Meikle said. “We started at 8 o’ clock in the morning. … Robert made sure everybody got out of bed. He and his mom went around, and, if anybody didn’t have a ride to meet us at school, he made sure everybody got there. Some of the things that people do in high school get overlooked as they get older, but that kind of set the tone. He really has a great heart.”

I'm sorry that can't be right.  The above posts clash with what I learned on Celtics Blog.  I learned here that he is "lazy and shiftless".  So, I'm sorry, but these sweet stories are just not cutting the mustard.

That's right!  Get out the pitchforks! Mary Shelley's Frankenstein does not end well!  We can't let this 19-year-old kid, get away with losing his wallet or oversleeping! 
And who cuts mustard anyway?

I thought he would be 21 by the time the season starts

« Reply #811 on: July 13, 2018, 12:29:45 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
He's from Louisiana for C's sake.

He will need some time to adjust.

« Reply #812 on: July 13, 2018, 12:55:13 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
This is an interview in Boston.com with Williams' High School Coach.  Says many positive things, not just about his abilities, but about his character. 

I feel that the press is all about finding the negative. Thought this would balance things out a bit.

Let's hope he gets on the court again soon.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/07/12/celtics-robert-williams-high-school-coach

Looks like he was an NBA scout for 24 years.  How the hell did a guy like that find his way to North Caddo, Louisiana?

Also, there's this little gem, about a community service project the team did:

“He got everybody up,” Meikle said. “We started at 8 o’ clock in the morning. … Robert made sure everybody got out of bed. He and his mom went around, and, if anybody didn’t have a ride to meet us at school, he made sure everybody got there. Some of the things that people do in high school get overlooked as they get older, but that kind of set the tone. He really has a great heart.”

I'm sorry that can't be right.  The above posts clash with what I learned on Celtics Blog.  I learned here that he is "lazy and shiftless".  So, I'm sorry, but these sweet stories are just not cutting the mustard.

That's right!  Get out the pitchforks! Mary Shelley's Frankenstein does not end well!  We can't let this 19-year-old kid, get away with losing his wallet or oversleeping! 
And who cuts mustard anyway?

I thought he would be 21 by the time the season starts

That’s right.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
and i agree as well. it just clutters up the blog with utter trash.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23986580/robert-williams-says-missing-celtics-practice-fault

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/07/boston_celtics_rookie_robert_w_2.html

From the article:

Larranaga said, "He's been really, really good. Really focused. Picked up the points of emphasis that we had [Monday] in practice really well. Seems very coachable. Like we said, this is the beginning of the process for him and for the summer league team. Day 1 was good."

Later Larranaga added: "He's volleyball-spiking shots and catching the ball with his elbows. He can make an impact on both ends of the floor when he plays with great effort. He has that length and athleticism. I think he's a very unselfish player. That's really important in our system."

I'm optimistic that his problem isn't actually work ethic but more immaturity and general bone-headedness. That can get better.
Yeah he's 20 years old and immaturity issues and lack of expisure to any working environment seem to definitely be the cause in my opinion.

I am actually surprised this stuff doesn't hapoen more often to these incomung freshmen and sophomores. Of course, maybe they have better agents that do a lot of hand holding.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
and i agree as well. it just clutters up the blog with utter trash.

Was this about the substance abuse insinuation?

If so, there have been whispers that marijuana is the reason he was suspended in college.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8taey6/king_reason_why_robert_williams_fell_in_the_draft/

Asked Thursday night about Williams’ two-game suspension at the beginning of his sophomore season, which two sources indicated came due to marijuana use, Ainge said the big man passed all the necessary background checks to be worthy of a first-round pick. The Celtics even looked into moving up in the draft once it became clear Williams would slide, but ultimately landed him while standing pat.

Other teams weren’t as sold as Boston, with a couple suggesting to The Athletic that Williams looked badly out of shape during the pre-draft workout season. A number of NBA people aren’t sold Williams loves the game of basketball, though one cautioned many big guys fall under the same umbrella.

The Celtics did not have a chance to audition Williams, but did their homework on him nonetheless.

“You never know everything about everybody, obviously,” Ainge said. “We’re comfortable with who he is and a lot of people that we talked to, his coaches and his teammates, his trainers, we checked with a lot of people that are familiar with him and everybody likes Robert. I know that he’s not perfect, but most players aren’t and we think his upside – he’s got a great upside. We’re very excited to have him. I’m not trying to defend our reason for drafting him, but we find he’s going to be a good player. We like what we found on his background checks.”

https://theathletic.com/403689/2018/06/22/king-dont-read-too-much-into-robert-williams-botching-his-first-assignment-with-the-celtics/

Re: Robert Williams' Knee / Artery Condition In Both Legs
« Reply #816 on: July 14, 2018, 06:53:09 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I don't see what the confusion is about.  The next Bill Russell is seeing Kawhi's Doctor.  He'll be back by 2019

It is a long winding road-summer league just a measuring stick
« Reply #817 on: July 14, 2018, 07:10:32 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
The holding out of summer league of Tatum and Brown along with Williams.From the basketball i have seen this year at summer league it is safer and more productive working out with their trainers.
Williams gets to acclimate and work on other areas shooting technique, foul shooting,dribbling skills and acclimate to NBA lifestyle.Having his own coach and former Butler player and assistant in Maine will also aide his getting used getting runs in Maine.
Being humiliated in press  and humbled sitting on bench unable to compete is just the beginning
but what better time to teach the simple things and discipline that would be blocked by his monster dunks and blocks.
This is allowing him to be taught from bottom up with no game time athleticism to let his ego off the hook.Hope that solve his hitch.
The press that Jerome Robinson got for his shot blocking and rebounding wouldn't have been with Williams playing and he would be garnering steal of draft praise which would hinder his advancement of disciplined repetition of small things.
He is getting to bond with players without the WOW factor and suffering the indignities of repetitious negative press that has no news feed of monster dunks and blocks.Seems like punishment to me.
So to some it up the getting to 100%might pay important dividends in his workout regime and maturity while we fans have to patiently wait and fend off the critics
 I call them proto analysts  they get so far up the players butt all they see is crap.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:22:24 AM by rollie mass »

Re: It is a long winding road-summer league just a measuring stick
« Reply #818 on: July 14, 2018, 10:19:37 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
I hope i am right-we get a very good player
i hope they are wrong then we get a very good player
If they are right then we lose an athletically gifted draft choice.
Is leaving a wallet in your room or with a friend worth savaging a 20 yr old

Scout honor is a conspiracy whack job that has no proof of substance abuse in connection missing the flight.He spends days and weeks contorting the truth in an attempt titillate his followers.
I want to be right, so the Celtics have a shot blocker of the future,i want to watch, a quick center that has a 12.5 vertical reach,i want a center that loves defense and guards all five positions.So Williams gets the benefit of doubt till the organization and teammates kick in and if that fails unless it is injury related, he has then failed.

« Reply #819 on: July 14, 2018, 09:27:58 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Thanks Footey. TP4U
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #820 on: July 14, 2018, 09:43:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He's from Louisiana for C's sake.

He will need some time to adjust.
Yeah, he's going to have to get used to the pace of life in Boston.

« Reply #821 on: July 14, 2018, 09:56:03 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Love the interview. Looking forward to having this guy learn from Al and Baynes and even Theis. All good guys, seemingly, and highly professional.

Having young dudes with good heads on their shoulders will be great too. It is the perfect environment for him. Earth is flat!

« Reply #822 on: July 14, 2018, 09:58:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Love the interview. Looking forward to having this guy learn from Al and Baynes and even Theis. All good guys, seemingly, and highly professional.

Having young dudes with good heads on their shoulders will be great too. It is the perfect environment for him. Earth is flat!

I love to be a fly on the wall when Kyrie is explan n  Flat Earth theory to Bob  ;)

« Reply #823 on: July 15, 2018, 07:39:11 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
You better be high up on that wall or Robert will swat you down-flat fly-flat earth

« Reply #824 on: July 15, 2018, 07:47:23 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
More good stories about Robert, and just maybe people will stop calling him Bob. ;D