Author Topic: Would Celtics do this Amare deal?  (Read 7502 times)

Re: Would Celtics do this Amare deal?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 12:33:17 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I would argue we improve both offensively and defensively

What is your argument for the team improving defensively?

Tony allen is a better defender than Ray Allen and he goes into the starting line up. Amare is a better defender than Kendrick with his length and leaping ability

Amare is a better defender than Perk??  Wow, that's news to me.

Wow, are you guys serious. I am for drinking the kool Aid and viewing everything with Green Tinted glasses.

There is no way you can seriously think that Perk is a better defender than Amare.

Amare is the poorman's Garnett, without the defense and lacking the intensity. No Thanks. I'd rather pick up Bosh if he's being traded.

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 12:35:59 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Perk is much better than Amare on the defensive end. Most importantly on the team defense side... Perk has a bigger body and he is able to out muscle more defenders while Amare is a high energy guy with better leaping ability...He's got two bum knees and a score first mentality. Id rather have Ray...If hes gone who scores from the wing other than Pierce? No one... Perk is an incredible compliment to Garnett and Amare would ruin that chemistry...

If it aint broke...

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 12:39:08 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Wow, are you guys serious. I am for drinking the kool Aid and viewing everything with Green Tinted glasses.

There is no way you can seriously think that Perk is a better defender than Amare.

Are you serious? Amare just plays offence, he'd be our worse defender by far.

Nevertheless, there's absolutely no chance Phoenix does this.

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 07:27:27 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Here is a Newsflash Rida.  Not only is Amare not close to the defender that Perk is, but he one of the worse defenders at his position in the league!  So no, this isn't about green colored glasses.  Perk > Amare on defense is essentially a fact.

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 08:14:29 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Well, if David Aldridge's article has any truth to it, we should all be very very afraid that Amare ends of up in Cleveland.

He says that PHX is strictly cost cutting and they are looking for expiring contracts in return.  And there is Cleveland with a front line devoid of offense and a nice Wally World expiring deal to dangle. 

If Kerr is choosing between Portland and Cleveland, my guess is he chooses to get him out of the West.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/02/09/aldridge/index.html

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 08:28:27 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Well, he says they want "Expiring contracts, young players and first-round picks."  Cleveland really only has one of those three things. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 08:31:10 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
This is the deal the Celtics should do to land Amare and others.
PHX gets Ray an other 2010 expiring contracts....
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=9~2367~3200~1021~2166~336~1727&teams=21~21~21~21~2~2~2&te=&cash=
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 09:11:52 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I can't imagine Amare making this team better. Celtics may well have the best starting unit in the league. Trades to improve the team probably should be the bench.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 11:48:29 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I would argue we improve both offensively and defensively

What is your argument for the team improving defensively?

Tony allen is a better defender than Ray Allen and he goes into the starting line up. Amare is a better defender than Kendrick with his length and leaping ability

Amare is a better defender than Perk??  Wow, that's news to me.

Nice Ad Hominem attack.

Amare is more talented than Perk, but he is subpar defensively. Amare wants to score. He doesn't even work hard for rebounds. If he had drive, he would be insane, but he has Coleman-itis. He has a picture in his mind of the player he wants to be, and that makes it hard for him to play team ball.

The problem I have with the trade idea is we are giving up on a championship this year by giving up on our defensive mentality for two guys who are all about offense.

The other problem with the trade is that it makes no sense unless we have a long term contract for Amare. Why ruin our team for this year to get a guy who won't be around long term. This trade doesn't make sense for us right now.

I would love to see Rondo alley-oops to Amare though without Shaq clogging the lane.

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 12:32:03 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
The Celtics wouldn't do ANY Amare deal-- he doesn't make us better. Didn't everyone watch the game where he got shut down completely by Scal? Scal, for God's sake! Amare plays no defense, and on a team with no rebounders for him to pull down 8 or 9 boards a game is like KG pulling down 4 per game. It's unacceptable. Amare is a younger player than KG. That's about all he's got on him.

We have our PF. He is an 11 time (right?) all-star, a two time DPOY, and won the MVP in 03-04. He is a hall of famer. Let's not tinker with that PARTICULAR spot, guys, ok?
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.