Author Topic: Two (affordable) Trade to Help the Celtics  (Read 8025 times)

Two (affordable) Trade to Help the Celtics
« on: February 09, 2009, 11:05:42 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
One of these:

Pruitt & Giddens for Grant Hill
TA for Grant Hill
Giddens or Pruitt for Matt Barnes

Then, depending on which of the above trades is done:

Powe & Scal for Joe Smith
Powe & TA for Joe Smith
Scal and TA for Joe Smith

"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Two (affordable) Trade to Help the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 11:46:57 AM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
this is exactly what I am hoping for, a maneuver for Hill and Smith.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 12:25:34 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
i'd prefer barns, but i don't see why phoenix does either deal.

i am confident that ainge has joe smith in his sights.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:40:09 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The other teams have to agree with the trades. But yeah, quite affordable deal for the C's.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 12:49:41 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald

If the rumors are true that they might be blowing things up, I don't see why they won't try to get some young players for older role players.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 12:52:06 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

If the rumors are true that they might be blowing things up, I don't see why they won't try to get some young players for older role players.

Their motivation to blow it up is because they are trying to save money.  These trade proposals cost them MORE money. 

I really doubt they will be making any small trades like that.    Barnes and Hill are the two best values on their roster.  Why give them up?

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 01:26:12 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd like any of these trades, but I don't think Phoenix would bite.  They are thinking about major changes but I think the idea is for them to be competitive this year, rather than totally rebuild with young guys.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 09:44:02 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
I'd like any of these trades, but I don't think Phoenix would bite.  They are thinking about major changes but I think the idea is for them to be competitive this year, rather than totally rebuild with young guys.

If they are thinking about trading Amare, how do they plan on being competitive this year?  Unless they trade him for another star better than Amare, I'm not seeing them being competitive enough this year.

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 10:05:54 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

If they are thinking about trading Amare, how do they plan on being competitive this year?  Unless they trade him for another star better than Amare, I'm not seeing them being competitive enough this year.
right.  I think they'd like to get someone to help now.  What's the point of getting a total project to play with old stars Nash, Shaq, Hill?

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 10:11:07 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
Even a lesser player such as Tyrus Thomas(along with a pick) may be a better fit with Shaq.  Thomas will rebound, defend, and block shots and would not(and should not) get many touches in the set offense.

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 10:34:06 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
Even a lesser player such as Tyrus Thomas(along with a pick) may be a better fit with Shaq.  Thomas will rebound, defend, and block shots and would not(and should not) get many touches in the set offense.

Yeah, but Thomas is not enough for them to win anything. So why trade for someone that will only help them get by the first round, if that?

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 11:15:40 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
Shaq and Nash have a very small window.  If they aren't going to get some immediate help for Amare, they may as well take Nash off the "untouchable" list and do everything they can to unload Shaq also.

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 11:45:49 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
From ESPN insider:

"No Need To Make Moves
"Nothing imminent," Danny Ainge said yesterday. "There's nothing that we're close to doing."

That would include Stephon Marbury, if the prodigal Knicks guard continues to fail in his attempt to secure a buyout from New York management. "I like what we have," he said, choosing to look for a bright side to the Spurs loss.

"(Sunday) we had a lead," he said. "It was a game we should win and a game that we would win most of the time.

"You have to be careful at this time of the year. You have to be careful not to be one of those teams that overreacts at a time like this. But I'm always looking for ways to get better, whether it's now, in training camp or in November. But you don't want to make changes just to make changes."

"I doubt it," Ainge said of the chance he will make a move by the trading deadline. "But there is always a chance." -- Boston Herald

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 11:51:08 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
From ESPN insider:

"No Need To Make Moves
"Nothing imminent," Danny Ainge said yesterday. "There's nothing that we're close to doing."

That would include Stephon Marbury, if the prodigal Knicks guard continues to fail in his attempt to secure a buyout from New York management. "I like what we have," he said, choosing to look for a bright side to the Spurs loss.

"(Sunday) we had a lead," he said. "It was a game we should win and a game that we would win most of the time.

"You have to be careful at this time of the year. You have to be careful not to be one of those teams that overreacts at a time like this. But I'm always looking for ways to get better, whether it's now, in training camp or in November. But you don't want to make changes just to make changes."

"I doubt it," Ainge said of the chance he will make a move by the trading deadline. "But there is always a chance." -- Boston Herald

This means nothing.  It is GM speak for "No comment".  I think Danny has said similar things everytime he has been asked questions about making moves since he has been in Boston.

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 12:26:57 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
I like all your trade ideas Bankshot except for matt barnes.  The celtics probably could have gotten matt barnes in the offseason for cheap but passed on him.  I would not trade our 1st round draft and pruitt who the celtics have some high hopes for for Barnes.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!