Author Topic: How about RAllen/Scal/Baby for Amare/Barbosa  (Read 5104 times)

How about RAllen/Scal/Baby for Amare/Barbosa
« on: February 08, 2009, 11:27:17 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So it's no secret that Phoenix is in fire sale mood and is looking for expiring contracts and draft picks. Well, what about this

Boston receives:

Amare Stoudemire
Leandro Barbosa

Phoenix receives

Ray Allen
Brian Scalabrini
Glen Davis and/or Leon Powe
And the Celtics 2011 first round draft pick and 2010 second round draft pick

The Celtics could completely change the dynamic of their eam by having a starting lineup of

Rondo
Barbosa
Pierce
Amare
KG

with Perk, House, TAllen, Scal being the main guys off the bench.

It would require Doc to change his rotations around and for him to keep at least two of the following four on the floor at all time, PP, KG, Perk, and Pierce but the dynamic of this team would change and the Celtics could position themselves long term by being able to obtain Amare's Bird rights and be able to offer him more than anyone else

Phoenix in the meantime could stay competitive through next year when they would have $56 million coming of the books in one season with Nash, Scal, Allen and Shaq all terminating in 2010 and they would pick up Leon's Bird right's and/or Big Baby for year(either of whom might like it there and could be extended for little money) and they would be getting out from under Barbosa's contract.

It might not be the best offer the Suns could get but it's a pretty legitimate offer.

Re: How about RAllen/Scal/Baby for Amare/Barbosa
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 11:36:19 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
That move would kill our defense and chemistry, though.  Barbosa simply isn't that good.  Amare is, but I don't think he'd fit into the team concept, and adding him to the team would actually decrease our chances of a championship this season, which is what the team should be focused on.

As for Phoenix, they can do a lot better.  They want immediate cap relief and young prospects, and this trade offers them neither.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 11:39:32 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
The only player i would trade Allen for would be Shaq, if only to make the Celtics-Lakers' rivalry even stronger  :P

Now more seriously (though Shaq for Allen anyone?):

1. This would kill our chemistry and the big three
2. Amare is not commited to defense, or at least it doesn't seem to. Plus, i think he's overrated now
3. Barbosa is not that good

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 12:07:08 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Not only would emotional chemistry take a hit, so I would on the floor play.  I think some people fail to realize that one of the huge reasons that this triumvirate of superstars has worked better than any other threesome of stars in a very long time is because of their ability to spread the floor with outside shooting.  Ray is arguably the best three point shooter in the game, Pierce has great range, and Garnett can knock down the 18-20 footer with regularity.  This not only allows each superstar to better score on one on one players, but it also allows the two superstars who aren't having a play ran for them to get points off of kick outs. 

Compare that to the Rockets of Barkley, Pippen, and the Dream.  In order for any of them to score, you had to run a play for them.  That became difficult, because none of them have range, so the defense can just pack the lane.  Then, to compound that, in order to get all of them the points to keep them happy, you have to run 15 plays for each of them a game.  That doesn't happen here. 

Thus, I wouldn't trade Allen for someone who is going to hurt this team's ability to spread the floor.   

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 12:26:02 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Why would Phoenix do this?

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 12:37:17 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
If Barbosa isn't making shots, he's useless. Honestly, I'd rather have Ray than Stoudamire.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 12:40:08 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Perk isn't really a good guy to have coming off the bench, I don't think and obviously we can't bench KG and Amare would probably go all emo and cut himself in the shower if he was on the bench.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 12:59:41 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Makes us worse defensively, I don't like it that much.
do it

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 01:05:13 PM »

Offline WayneKreklow

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
To echo others, not sure why Phx does this deal. Barbosa is an up-tempo offense guy, not sure how he'd work in here. Ray for Amare? I think it would destroy the chemistry.

Also, you have Scal in the trade and coming off our bench.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 01:10:27 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Ainge is not trading one of the big three this year. No way. If we don't win the championship again, then you can start tossing Ray's name around, tho i'd still doubt it highly.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 09:28:34 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
That move would kill our defense and chemistry, though.  Barbosa simply isn't that good.  Amare is, but I don't think he'd fit into the team concept, and adding him to the team would actually decrease our chances of a championship this season, which is what the team should be focused on.

As for Phoenix, they can do a lot better.  They want immediate cap relief and young prospects, and this trade offers them neither.

Agreed with Phoenix being able to do a lot better.  I don't think its fair to say Barbosa simply isn't that good; he is a good player.  But I think he is more a product of the D'Antoni system which made him appear to be better than he was.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 09:37:38 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
how about not trading ray allen, nevermind if its gonna make KG play out of positiion, cmon
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 09:39:12 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Cmon, Nick - I expect better than a "Trade Ray" thread from you...

God bless and good night!

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 09:54:28 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Cmon, Nick - I expect better than a "Trade Ray" thread from you...

Consider me surprised as well.

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 09:58:17 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
So it's no secret that Phoenix is in fire sale mood and is looking for expiring contracts and draft picks. Well, what about this

Boston receives:

Amare Stoudemire
Leandro Barbosa

Phoenix receives

Ray Allen
Brian Scalabrini
Glen Davis and/or Leon Powe
And the Celtics 2011 first round draft pick and 2010 second round draft pick

Am I missing something? aren't Davis and/or Powe the only expiring contracts in the deal?