Author Topic: Stoudemire to Portland?  (Read 16385 times)

Re: Stoudemire to Portland?
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 02:23:37 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Is Stoudemire really the anti-Garnett people make him out to be?

I think he's closer to that than the "misunderstood competitor" his supporters claim he is. Seems to me he's either grousing about not getting enough touches, or not getting enough respect.

Help me come up with a SF for this lineup:

PG: Stephon Marbury
SG: Larry Hughes
SF:
PF: Amare Stoudemire
C:  Eddy Curry

Paul Pierce circa May 2007

You're kidding, right?  Pierce should be canonized for how he handled himself during the 06-07 season.  That SF spot can go only to Shawn Marion, who famously said he'd rather be the #1 option on a mediocre team than be a #2 or #3 option on a title contender.

Aside from Stephon, I see no one else on that list who is someone I would automatically equate to " A team killer" or "having no heart". However. I think they are perceived that way by some, just as many people outside of Boston believed Paul Pierce to be a selfish player who quit on his team. That was the point I was trying to make, although clumsily.

Zach Randolph and Steve Francis are the 6th and 7th men on this team.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 02:28:34 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Zach is one of the few supposed headcases whose game I really like.  He can get 20/10 in his sleep.

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 02:48:03 PM »

Offline Jay_Diggles

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Ron Artest has my votes!
Diggles

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 02:51:30 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

You're kidding, right?  Pierce should be canonized for how he handled himself during the 06-07 season.  That SF spot can go only to Shawn Marion, who famously said he'd rather be the #1 option on a mediocre team than be a #2 or #3 option on a title contender.

i've written about this elsewhere, but those Suns teams could easily make up the All-Grumpy squad and it never made any sense to me because they got to play the most fun offense and didn't really have to D-up..

Joe Johnson, Q, Amare, Marion, Diaw...could those guys have been playing in a better system for them?

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2009, 03:11:06 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
This is such a no brainer for Portland it's ridiculous. I don't know how anyone could possibly think Raef + Aldridge for Amare is a bad idea(maybe for Phoenix). Amare would allow Oden to do what he does best defend, while Amare worries about offense. Not to mention, how devestating a Roy & Amare pick and roll could be.

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2009, 03:12:28 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I´ve posted this trade idea when the first rumours came out that the Suns might be willing to trade Amare. Several members of CB said it would be a dumb move for the Blazers.

Amare for Aldridge, Bayless (born in Phoenix) + Fillers just makes too much sense for both teams, imo.

And yes, this is an "I told you so" post.  ;D
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 03:26:39 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Amare would allow Oden to do what he does best defend, while Amare worries about offense. Not to mention, how devestating a Roy & Amare pick and roll could be.

Amare plays turnstile, and lets Oden pick up quick fouls trying to cover Amare's blown assignment.

And the Roy-Aldridge pick and pop combo is already working. Why mess with a good thing for a marginal improvement? Amare represents a few more points a game. Big deal.

Amare is a head case. Portland has worked for years to improve its image. Pritchard can make much better use of the team's assets.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 03:39:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

This one works on ESPN's trade checker:

Barbosa, $50 million*, and all of their draft picks for a time machine.

Amare for KG.

*: $50 million + KG's salary (including extension) funded by the 2009 stimulus package.

Seriously, though, what do people think about trading some kind of youth/picks for Jared Dudley? Is he better (for this year) than Walker? I haven't seen a ton of his games but he hasn't looked bad when I have seen him.

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 04:42:44 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 12:22:02 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Looks like this is heating up again:

The Portland Trail Blazers have made a strong play for Amare Stoudemire, discussing a package that includes LaMarcus Aldridge, Jerryd Bayless, and Raef LeFrentz's $12.7 million expiring contract, a person with direct knowledge of the talks told CBSSports.com Tuesday.

The Blazers have four extra second-round picks in the next two drafts to offer, plus the rights to British big man Joel Freeland, taken by Portland with the 30th pick in the 2006 draft.

Freeland has reportedly been included in the talks.

That's a pretty strong offer.  The only other actual players I'm hearing are Hinrich + Thomas from Chicago, but the Portland deal is just much better.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 12:24:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

The Portland Trail Blazers have made a strong play for Amare Stoudemire, discussing a package that includes LaMarcus Aldridge, Jerryd Bayless, and Raef LeFrentz's $12.7 million expiring contract, a person with direct knowledge of the talks told CBSSports.com Tuesday.

The Blazers have four extra second-round picks in the next two drafts to offer, plus the rights to British big man Joel Freeland, taken by Portland with the 30th pick in the 2006 draft.

That's a pretty strong offer.  The only other actual players I'm hearing are Hinrich + Thomas from Chicago, but the Portland deal is just much better.

I think this is a good move by both teams.  I think Amare would be perfect in Portland, because he immediately makes Roy better by allowing him to become the second banana...and I really can't see Phoenix doing better than a talented, young PF and PG prospect.

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2009, 12:26:25 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I think this is a good move by both teams.  I think Amare would be perfect in Portland, because he immediately makes Roy better by allowing him to become the second banana...and I really can't see Phoenix doing better than a talented, young PF and PG prospect.

Not to mention that 80% of Raef's contract is covered by insurance, making it the best expiring contract on the market.  That would be immediate savings for Phoenix's skinflint owner.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2009, 12:30:11 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

This one works on ESPN's trade checker:

Barbosa, $50 million*, and all of their draft picks for a time machine.

Amare for KG.

*: $50 million + KG's salary (including extension) funded by the 2009 stimulus package.

Seriously, though, what do people think about trading some kind of youth/picks for Jared Dudley? Is he better (for this year) than Walker? I haven't seen a ton of his games but he hasn't looked bad when I have seen him.

I forgot about this post, but did anyone read the fine print in the stimulus bill? Phoenix was given $90M even though they put in for $50M and they  also allotted $150M to fund the committee to oversee the dispersal of the money.

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2009, 12:52:19 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I can't believe this is accurate, or more than a rumor. To offer Aldridge and Bayless, plus additional considerations, is grossly overpaying for Amare, in my opinion.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2009, 12:56:43 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I can't believe this is accurate, or more than a rumor. To offer Aldridge and Bayless, plus additional considerations, is grossly overpaying for Amare, in my opinion.

i agree. i don't think the report is accurate. they're talking about these players, but both will not be included. look for it to be either, and then lesser guys / prospects lumped in -- freeland, koponen, rodriguez, doron sheffer etc.

kidding about sheffer... he's listed under 'additional assets' on ESPN trade machine!!
Mike

(My name is not Mike)