Author Topic: Stoudemire to Portland?  (Read 16380 times)

Stoudemire to Portland?
« on: February 06, 2009, 09:53:06 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Amare Stoudemire has been rumored in a trade to Portland. The deal would involve Aldridge and most likely Lafrentz's contract.

Would this deal make Portland a legitimate contender? We cannot forget, Stoudemire was first team all NBA last year. So we know he is not playing up to his potential in Phoenix right now. If Stoudemire checks his ego at the door, and comes to play basketball in Portland, I think the Trailblazers could be real contenders.

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=1307

Re: Stoudemire to Portland?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 09:56:03 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
If I was Portland, I'd probably pass on this.  Aldridge is a darn good player and is a great complement to that lineup.  I'm not sure how Stoudemire will mold with Portland.  Throw in the fact that Portland would be giving up Raef's contract?  I think its probably a bad trade for Portland.

If you think about it, is it really that significant of an upgrade from Aldridge to Stoudemire when all things are considered?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 10:05:30 AM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 09:57:32 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
steve kerr must be out of his mind if he does this...everyone is acting like stoudamire is some old man - he's NOT. 

if anything, for phoenix this is at best a lateral move, but there's now way they become a better team.

i shake my head in disbelief how some of these guys end up running basketball teams...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 10:02:58 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I think Portland should try and see what they can get for Raef's contract by itself first.  Because Aldridge and whatever they get in a trade might be more worth it to them than just Amare.  One thing is for sure though.  They're definitely trading Raef before the deadline.

I just don't get why the Suns are looking to trade Amare.  They're window has obviously passed.  So they should be looking to trade Nash, Shaq and/or Grant Hill and build around Amare.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Amare Stoudemire has been rumored in a trade to Portland. The deal would involve Aldridge and most likely Lafrentz's contract.

Would this deal make Portland a legitimate contender? We cannot forget, Stoudemire was first team all NBA last year. So we know he is not playing up to his potential in Phoenix right now. If Stoudemire checks his ego at the door, and comes to play basketball in Portland, I think the Trailblazers could be real contenders.

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=1307

if PHO can get one of the young PGs or maybe Outlaw in addition to Ald, I might do it.....Amare clearly is not happy playing next to Shaq.

personally, what i would do is try and move Shaq and get the Suns back to playing D'Antoni-ball. It was much more entertaining and fit their best personnel.

funnily, it would also help that JRich trade because he was really good playing that way up in GS. (kinda funny that they also have Barnes off that team now too)

Nash, JRich, Hill, Amare, Barnes, Leandro, Amundson, Lopez, Dudley + whoever they can get for Shaq = a lot more fun and maybe a dangerous team in the playoffs.

that's the way I would go anyway.

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 10:32:51 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I just don't get why the Suns are looking to trade Amare.  They're window has obviously passed.  So they should be looking to trade Nash, Shaq and/or Grant Hill and build around Amare.

I get the feeling that this is more of a chemistry/personality issue than a talent issue.  Amare has developed a reputation as a big-time complainer and a "me-first" kind of guy...probably not the type of guy Phoenix wants to build a franchise around.  While I agree Kerr needs to blow things up in Phoenix, it seems that they don't think Amare is the one to do that around.

As for Portland, they are big on chemistry and character, which makes me think they would not make this deal.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 10:38:11 AM »

Offline thedawg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11

Honestly, i would seriously like to see Amare Stoudamire in Boston. Go work on some trades, guys!  :)
In Danny Ainge I Trust!

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 11:01:14 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Wow.  That's an interesting trade.  Aldridge fits that team so well, and is a perfect fit next to Oden.  However, Amare is, in my mind, the best offensive big man in the NBA.  He can score in the post, and he can stretch the defense with a very good jump shot.

The question for me would be, does he hinder Oden's development?  Would he and Oden have the same problems that he and Shaq have, as Oden becomes more of a part of the offense over time?  Would Amare be upset that Roy got most of the shots down the stretch?

Ultimately, I'd probably pull the trigger if I were Portland.  It's hard to get superstars in this league, and Amare is a young and dominant one.

As for Phoenix, if they decide that Amare has to go, Bosh would be my first target.  If he's not moving, then Aldridge + salary relief + some other pieces isn't a bad return.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 11:21:18 AM »

Offline Mideon

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
Wow...tough call I think. I like the previous poster's concept of seeing what you can get for raef's contract and maybe some spare parts before getting rid of aldridge...but otherwise I pull the trigger on this.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 11:28:13 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
If I'm Dany Ferry I'm harassing Kerr to see what it would take to land Shaq... Wally, Snow and Hickson might get it done if they're blowing it up.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 11:35:40 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
If I'm Dany Ferry I'm harassing Kerr to see what it would take to land Shaq... Wally, Snow and Hickson might get it done if they're blowing it up.

why in the world would phoenix do this trade? They are basically trading Shaq for Hickson. I know Shaq isn't what he used to be , but they could still get a way better deal then that, especially if they wait til next year when shaq will have a 20 mil expiring contract. Lots of teams will want that expiring contract because the following year 2010 is when Lebron, Wade and Bosh will be free agents .

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 11:37:05 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Wow.  That's an interesting trade.  Aldridge fits that team so well, and is a perfect fit next to Oden.  However, Amare is, in my mind, the best offensive big man in the NBA.  He can score in the post, and he can stretch the defense with a very good jump shot.

The question for me would be, does he hinder Oden's development?  Would he and Oden have the same problems that he and Shaq have, as Oden becomes more of a part of the offense over time?  Would Amare be upset that Roy got most of the shots down the stretch?

Ultimately, I'd probably pull the trigger if I were Portland.  It's hard to get superstars in this league, and Amare is a young and dominant one.

As for Phoenix, if they decide that Amare has to go, Bosh would be my first target.  If he's not moving, then Aldridge + salary relief + some other pieces isn't a bad return.

Roy, TP because I agree almost entirely with you on this, Portland definitely should pull the trigger.  Portland has a lot of pieces they can package together to get a star, some are known to be available, and if they don't make a move, they will lose these young players for nothing in free agency.  Amare is a top 10 talent in the league, very young, and those are really hard to get - especially in a small-mid market like Portland.  I don't think Oden will ever be the offensive focal point of a championship team (like Russell), so I wouldn't worry about hindering Oden's development. 

For Phoenix, I'd try to get something better first, like Bosh.  I agree that Amare is not a great fit, but he has way too much value to not get really good value back.  More young pieces, like Fernandez and/or picks, need to be thrown in here for me to pull the trigger from the Suns front office.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 11:42:20 AM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
If I was Portland, I'd probably pass on this.  Aldridge is a darn good player and is a great complement to that lineup.  I'm not sure how Stoudemire will mold with Portland.  Throw in the fact that Portland would be giving up Raef's contract?  I think its probably a bad trade for Portland.

If you think about it, is it really that significant of an upgrade from Aldridge to Stoudemire when all things are considered?
I think I agree with this. While Stoudemire is surely an upgrade, I'm not sure he's a big enough upgrade to make this trade worth it. Portland already has the "problem" of having an abundance of young talent - meaning there's a lot of potential for contention over who is the first banana in years to come. Aldridge seems like the kind of guy that is ok being a second banana. If Portland is going to win a championship in the next 5 years or so, they're going to need players like Aldridge. Amare's first banana complaints are too well documented.

But on the flip side, maybe Amare would be the first banana in Portland. Roy is clearly the #1 guy on that team right now, but he's also the quintessential team player. He's playing the role of #1 guy because the team needs him to play that role right now. I suspect he'd be just fine deferring to Amare if it meant more Ws. So, if everyone else is ok letting Amare be #1, then maybe it would be a fantastic deal for Portland.

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 11:46:47 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I wonder if this will help or hinder them in the long run. Amare wants to be the man on his team that's not going to happen in Portland. And the Blazers are such a great rebounding team I'd love to see if they can cure him of his aversion to hustling for rebounds.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 11:51:05 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I wonder if this will help or hinder them in the long run. Amare wants to be the man on his team that's not going to happen in Portland. And the Blazers are such a great rebounding team I'd love to see if they can cure him of his aversion to hustling for rebounds.

I'm not sure that Amare needs to be "the man" as much as people imply.  He got along very well in Phoenix playing with Nash and Marion; I can't remember any gripes about playing time or touches from him.  This year, he's been dissatisfied, but that's because his role in the offense has been limited by an inferior player.  Additionally, the changes to the Suns offense aren't working, and there has been a lot of frustration from that locker room.  (For example, Steve Nash -- who seems like a "team first" type of guy -- has repeatedly questioned the team's direction this season).

Amare's attitude hasn't been ideal, but I'm not sure that he would poison any team he came on to.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions