Author Topic: A handful of Bruins fans are making Boston look racist and classless  (Read 25121 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Boston Bruins president Cam Neely on Friday denounced those who directed racial slurs at P.K. Subban via social media after the Canadiens forward scored the winning goal in Montreal's playoff victory over Boston on Thursday night.

"The racist, classless views expressed by an ignorant group of individuals following Thursday's game via digital media are in no way a reflection of anyone associated with the Bruins organization," Neely said in a statement issued by the team.

Subban, who is black, scored his second goal of Game 1 of the Eastern Conference semifinals at 4:17 of the second overtime to give the Canadiens a 4-3 win over the Bruins. Following the game, a few Twitter users posted racial slurs disparaging him.

In April 2012, the Bruins issued a similar statement after Washington Capitals forward Joel Ward, who is also black, was the target of racial slurs after he scored the overtime goal that eliminated the Bruins from the Stanley Cup playoffs in the first round.

Seriously?  Way to fit into a stereotype, morons.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If the shoe fits...

or, another favorite, "all stereotypes are rooted in some sort of truth."
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
If the shoe fits...

or, another favorite, "all stereotypes are rooted in some sort of truth."

That kind of thinking is the problem to begin with.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
 ;)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Another reason added to why people outside of Boston hates Boston Sports teams. Besides our collective championship banners and titles and all.

Sighhhh.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Wish the team didn't release a statement. This wouldnt of been a 'thing' if they didnt. If PK scored in overtime against any other team in the NHL you'd get the same handful of comments on twitter.

Our governor is black, Boston isn't a particularly racist city.

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I was kind of wondering if this says more about Boston/New England sports fans or if it says more about hockey fans?

Anyway, it's pathetic and shameful.  I'm glad Cam Neely gave a response, whether he had to or not, if for no other reasons than to categorically let those ignorant morons know that he and the organization is not on their side.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Wish the team didn't release a statement. This wouldnt of been a 'thing' if they didnt. If PK scored in overtime against any other team in the NHL you'd get the same handful of comments on twitter.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Isn't that a bit like saying that you can't be racist if you hire black people (and clothe and feed them)?

The point of calling attention to misbehavior is to make sure it is a "thing".  Do you think racism won't exist if you don't mention it?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Isn't that a bit like saying that you can't be racist if you hire black people (and clothe and feed them)?

The point of calling attention to misbehavior is to make sure it is a "thing".  Do you think racism won't exist if you don't mention it?

No but I'd rather it be pushed under the rug then editorialized and beaten to death for 3 days while I have to listen Skip Bayless and friends jaw about it.  Racisim will probably always exist. And I probably should of put more examples of how inclusive MA is. Gay marriage is legal, etc. People in MA are no more racist than people in Maine or  Pennsylvania. It just offends me when people use blanket terms saying all of Boston is racist on websites and such.

Re: A handful of Bruins fans are making Boston look racist and classless
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 04:25:17 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Was listening to WEEI after the Capitals beat us, they were saying that literally every single racist comment made on twitter was coming from accounts that were created in cities outside of new england. 

I dont know if that was really the case, they claimed to have research it, nor do I know if this is the case now. But I think these idiots just like to be racist when they can be regardless if they are fans of the team or not.

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 04:44:38 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Another reason added to why people outside of Boston hates Boston Sports teams. Besides our collective championship banners and titles and all.

Sighhhh.
exactly. racist statements would never appear in places such as LA.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 06:08:56 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458

Sighhhh.
exactly. racist statements would never appear in places such as LA.

Lol.... They happen everywhere. Don't tell me there would be NONE in LA. that's false
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 06:09:44 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458

Are you from Boston or do you live in Boston?
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 06:16:27 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Are you from Boston or do you live in Boston?

I lived in Boston for a time. I wasn't born there. 

Have you lived in enough cities to identify Boston as one that "isn't particularly racist"?

Either way, like the Cannon said, that kind of equivocation (Black Governor = not a racist city) is silly.