Author Topic: FIBA USA vs Brazil  (Read 11379 times)

Re: FIBA USA vs Brazil
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 04:20:28 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Billups is a ball hog.

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 04:22:16 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
The defense has been impressive but the offense has been dreadful. Lack of ball movement.

I think this is where you miss Rondo. He moves the ball much better than anyone on the team, and that includes Billups at this stage.  Eric Gordon should be playing more.

"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 04:23:52 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
Gold medal is going to be tough for this team.  ::)
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 04:23:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
The fourth quarter was tied 9-9. Both teams were pathetic offensively in the final period.

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 04:31:17 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Derrick Rose drives me insane, he makes so many bad decision.

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 04:31:39 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Gold medal is going to be tough for this team.  ::)

I think we knew that going in.   

Weak finish there, especially on O, but they all count the same.  Greece will be an interesting test as well.

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 04:33:33 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
Another close victory for the USA. I was concerned with our perimeter shooting; however we played great defense during the final quarter (both teams only scored 9 points each in the 4th) and that was enough to get the win.

Team USA's main fault, in my opinion anyway is the lack of ball movement - too many iso's and not enough passes before a shot attempt. We also blew quite a few easy looks in the paint, however there were plenty of other times where we were able to convert free throws off of fouls. According to Bill Simmons Rondo's free throw shooting could have possibly been a detriment to team USA's chances of doing well in this tournament. :-\
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 05:11:49 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119

Derrick Rose is a certifiable idiot.  He'll be stuck on the Iverson/McGrady level of 'superstar' for that reason alone--he has the BBIQ of a high school freshman. 

Billups is a ball hog.

You don't become Mr. Big Shot by deferring to others.

Today's game was the kind of game Rondo could have helped.  Instead of running 40 minutes of isolation basketball and contested jump shots, we would have been able to run some offense and get easier shots.  And I'm pretty sure Rondo can defend the pick-and-roll better than DRose.

And before somebody says it: Rondo's shooting problems don't matter if you surround him with shooters.  AI and Chandler don't defend well enough to warrant the spots they were given on this team, and it was their inability to shoot that doomed the Rondo/Billups/Durant/AI/Chandler lineup.  Coach K was right about not playing two non-shooters at the same time, but Rondo was the wrong scapegoat.

Folly. Persist.

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 05:15:19 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
I love Kevin Durant...he is going to be one of the 50 best before he is done...he is defending well now too

50 best? I'd guess more like 10 best. Maybe 5. Maybe 1

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 05:28:30 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I love Kevin Durant...he is going to be one of the 50 best before he is done...he is defending well now too

Better than Russell?  Better than MJ?  Better than Magic or Bird?  Shaq?    I'd say, given room for personal opinion and prejudice, 50 best all time is a good place to aim for...and he is still young and hasn't "won anything" yet.  50 best also means longevity, to me...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 05:39:01 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Durant's got a shot at Top 10 to be sure, but he's got a heck of a lot of absolute legends to leapfrog to get there.  He won't even be in the discussion for Top 10 til he's got at least a ring or two.  Kid's good but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 05:42:59 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

Derrick Rose is a certifiable idiot.  He'll be stuck on the Iverson/McGrady level of 'superstar' for that reason alone--he has the BBIQ of a high school freshman. 

Billups is a ball hog.

You don't become Mr. Big Shot by deferring to others.

Today's game was the kind of game Rondo could have helped.  Instead of running 40 minutes of isolation basketball and contested jump shots, we would have been able to run some offense and get easier shots.  And I'm pretty sure Rondo can defend the pick-and-roll better than DRose.

And before somebody says it: Rondo's shooting problems don't matter if you surround him with shooters.  AI and Chandler don't defend well enough to warrant the spots they were given on this team, and it was their inability to shoot that doomed the Rondo/Billups/Durant/AI/Chandler lineup.  Coach K was right about not playing two non-shooters at the same time, but Rondo was the wrong scapegoat.

TP, SalmonsandMashed, Good points!  I still wish Rondo would become proficient at the charity stripe...in close games one or two free throws can make the difference.  It may have been the deciding factor today....
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 05:53:25 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Chandler totally unimpressive.

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 05:55:52 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Chandler totally unimpressive.
Tyson Chandler has been very poor during most of the Team USA action I've seen.

I don't know why he's struggling so much. This should be a simple role for him to fill.

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 06:53:55 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164

Durant's got a shot at Top 10 to be sure, but he's got a heck of a lot of absolute legends to leapfrog to get there.  He won't even be in the discussion for Top 10 til he's got at least a ring or two.  Kid's good but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Exactly he is one injury away from bing the next Grant Hill for all we know.

Potential is off the charts no doubt, but slow down guys...
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach