Author Topic: Gerald Green lovers...and haters... (Gerald in Russia)  (Read 8497 times)

Gerald Green lovers...and haters... (Gerald in Russia)
« on: March 22, 2010, 06:34:54 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
http://www.hoopsnotes.com/2010/03/james-white-won-russian-dunk-contest/

not sure if this has been posted, but apparently a dunk contest in Russia.  James White was also there...

some pretty good dunks
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:17:39 PM by Roy Hobbs »

Re: Gerald Green lovers...and haters...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 07:01:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Those dunks were mostly better than we what we saw in the NBA contest.

Plenty more fans in the stands than Antoine's games  ;)
Yup

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 07:38:52 PM »

Offline bigtyc55

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 5
nice cornrows Gerald ;)

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 07:40:57 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
The NBA is a bit like Broadway,
all it takes is a few bad reviews, and you're out of the league.

Gerald Green has a tremendous amount of athleticism and offensive skill set.  It amazes me how the media creates an expectation that for the most part is unreachable, for the young players (did you really think that Gerald Green would know team defense and have the complete package at the age he was drafted)

I'd be curious WWRD (what would Red do) with an athlete like Gerald Green or Bill Walker.  The Celtics continue to struggle with developing young talent the past few years.  They either can't get off the bench or are traded.  It would be interesting to see if there are any current stats on
MPG (minutes per game) per player drafted by a team in the first 3 years and see how things add up. And while clearly, draft order would impact this.  Teams with worse records usually get better picks and those players are bound to get more minutes.  It would still be interesting on seeing how things fared for each NBA team.  My bet would be the Celtics are in the bottom half of that stat.

Gerald Green.  Wouldn't be the first kid to blossom late.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 08:10:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Celtics continue to struggle with developing young talent the past few years.  They either can't get off the bench or are traded.

Rondo, Perk, Davis, Powe, West, Jefferson, Tony Allen, Gomes

They had a bad draft in 2009 and only the 58th pick in the draft last year. Exactly where is this struggle with developing young talent that you are talking about?

Rondo is 23 and an All-Star and a World Champion. Perk is one of the best defensive centers in the game and a World Champion. Davis is a very good role player and a World Champion. The rest of those guys were good enough to be traded away to receive 2 future Hall of Famers.

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 08:19:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Gerald Green has a tremendous amount of athleticism and offensive skill set.  It amazes me how the media creates an expectation that for the most part is unreachable, for the young players (did you really think that Gerald Green would know team defense and have the complete package at the age he was drafted)

I'd be curious WWRD (what would Red do) with an athlete like Gerald Green or Bill Walker.  The Celtics continue to struggle with developing young talent the past few years.  They either can't get off the bench or are traded.  It would be interesting to see if there are any current stats on
MPG (minutes per game) per player drafted by a team in the first 3 years and see how things add up. And while clearly, draft order would impact this.  Teams with worse records usually get better picks and those players are bound to get more minutes.  It would still be interesting on seeing how things fared for each NBA team.  My bet would be the Celtics are in the bottom half of that stat.

While it may seem this is the case, there are a number of examples where the Celtics have developed young talent admirably: Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins, Al Jefferson, to name three prominently. The fact is, most teams hit and miss on this stuff. This is what makes it so interesting/exciting/frustrating!!

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 08:27:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

sorry, but i dont see gg's game this way. he could dunk, yes. he could take jump shots, sometimes.

but could he rebound consistently? play defense? stay within the offensive game plan? pass? make his team mates better players?

gg was one dimensional and it had nothing to do with the media spinning his image and the rest of the the nba and gm's believing such spin. a number of teams had his rights, but he failed to impress any of them.

he could score in the right situation but not much else. on top of that, he really is not an overly intelligent basketball player nor a hard worker by nba standards.

if gg had been drafted by any else than the celtics, no one on this board would think twice about him.

now all that is left is for someone to bring "you know who" into the thread.  ::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
The Celtics continue to struggle with developing young talent the past few years.  They either can't get off the bench or are traded.

They had a bad draft in 2009 and only the 58th pick in the draft last year. Exactly where is this struggle with developing young talent that you are talking about?

Rondo is 23 and an All-Star and a World Champion. Perk is one of the best defensive centers in the game and a World Champion. Davis is a very good role player and a World Champion. The rest of those guys were good enough to be traded away to receive 2 future Hall of Famers.

....Past few years....post Garnett trade.
hell before that, Doc might have played Lucky the mascot and got some minutes out of him.

I actually would agree with how they have handled BBD and Rondo.  However, I'd like to see the homework done.
Minute Played per game. Career length with the drafted team.
Career stats and productivity per minutes played.  There must be a better way to measure it.  I still be Celtics are in lower half.

And I won't even talk about the drafting and trading of Chauncey Billups or Joe Johnson.  And I'll leave Babe Ruth out of Red Sox discussions.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 08:43:40 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

hell before that, Doc might have played Lucky the mascot and got some minutes out of him.

I actually would agree with how they have handled BBD and Rondo.  However, I'd like to see the homework done.
Career stats and productivity per minutes played.  There must be a better way to measure it.  I still be Celtics are in lower half.

And I won't even talk about the drafting and trading of Chauncey Billups or Joe Johnson.  And I'll leave Babe Ruth out of Red Sox discussions.

This current regime has nothing to do with Chauncey or JJ. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 08:49:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Maybe you missed this part

They had a bad draft in 2008 and only the 58th pick in the draft last year.

How many teams picking 58th develop that player into something? And that was their only pick last year. The year before they had a bad draft but even then their first pick was 30th and they they traded up to get Bill Walker.

I think it's pretty strange to be critical of a team with championship aspirations not developing talent in two years where they drafted extremely low in the draft and their number one priority was acquiring NBA caliber role players to assist them in repeating and/or returning to championship form.

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 08:50:26 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32

Ugh. Come the heck on.

Gerald Green not making it with the C's proves the C's can't develop young talent? There are 30 teams. If none of them felt he'd fit, then quite honestly, that says a lot about GG.

I mean, he can't even get into the EURO LEAGUE? No league in Russia could be better than that.

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 08:51:17 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Those Russian judges were pretty generous

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 09:01:59 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
I really want to stay out of any Gerald discussion but just when you think youre out...they...pull...you...back...in.

Gerald had bad handles. Superior athlete. Could shoot. Didnt work on any parts of his game that he needed to succeed to make it in the next level.

In the NBA rosters are small and he was taking too long so he had to go over seas. Who knows maybe he will blossom late and re enter the league a few years from now. I really doubt it though unless his work ethic changed.

The D league is nice but it is not a true minor league system. If players skip college and bust out, it takes a long time and hard work to climb back into the big leagues. That is just the way the system works unfortunately.

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 10:23:51 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I really want to stay out of any Gerald discussion but just when you think youre out...they...pull...you...back...in.

Gerald had bad handles. Superior athlete. Could shoot. Didnt work on any parts of his game that he needed to succeed to make it in the next level.

In the NBA rosters are small and he was taking too long so he had to go over seas. Who knows maybe he will blossom late and re enter the league a few years from now. I really doubt it though unless his work ethic changed.

The D league is nice but it is not a true minor league system. If players skip college and bust out, it takes a long time and hard work to climb back into the big leagues. That is just the way the system works unfortunately.

Unfortunately, dunking a basketball is a relatively meaningless skill in the overall scheme of talent that makes up an NBA player.

When you have a player with a microscopic basketball IQ and no work ethic, dunking ability becomes absolutely irrelevant.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 10:28:38 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen

Unfortunately, dunking a basketball is a relatively meaningless skill in the overall scheme of talent that makes up an NBA player.

When you have a player with a microscopic basketball IQ and no work ethic, dunking ability becomes absolutely irrelevant.

I know Im in total agreement. On the other hand to be able to dunk like Gerald means he had some serious physical gifts that he just never took advantage of. it probably had a LOT to do with the fact that he though dunking like he did was good enough. Wrong-O