Author Topic: Do you consider Vince Carter overrated?  (Read 3002 times)

Do you consider Vince Carter overrated?
« on: July 13, 2020, 03:38:54 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I was debating with a friend, and he told me he never lived up to his potential, which I vehemently disagree.

Any time you get 8x All Star, 2 Team All NBA, Olympic winner, not to mention one of the fiercest and ferocious dunkers in his prime, that's pretty impressive in my opinion. He put Toronto on the map, and influenced alongside Kobe & AI, legion of NBA fans and inspired plethora of young players hoping to follow in his footsteps.

I would like to also add VC was a top 15-20 player during his prime, and could go off.

So I beg the question, do you consider VC overrated?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 03:50:21 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Do you consider Vince Carter overrated?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 03:43:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Slightly.  I always got the perception that fans viewed Vince as being at or above Pierce’s level, which I never agreed with.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 03:46:47 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I was debating with a friend, and he told me he never lived up to his potential, which I vehemently disagree.

Any time you get 8x All Star, 2 Team All NBA, Olympic winner, not to mention one of the fiercest and ferocious dunkers in his prime, that's pretty impressive in my opinion. He put Toronto on the map, and influenced alongside Kobe & AI, legion of NBA fans and inspired plethora of young players hoping to follow in his footsteps.

I would like to also add VC was a top 20 player, and could go off.

Of all time??!!

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 03:49:58 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Of all time??!!

I meant to say at the time when Vince Carter was in his prime, he was easily top 15-20 player.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 03:54:15 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Slightly.  I always got the perception that fans viewed Vince as being at or above Pierce’s level, which I never agreed with.

Carter had more flash, Pierce had more substance.

It's not surprising Carter received more adulation, but Pierce was the better player.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 03:55:14 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Of all time??!!

I meant to say at the time when Vince Carter was in his prime, he was easily top 15-20 player.

Gotcha.

I think he is pretty properly ranked.  However, I do agree that he never quite lived up to potential.    His playoff track record hurts him, albeit not all his fault of course, but some of it falls on him.  He made it past the conference semis, what?  Once?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 03:57:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Definitely failed to fulfill his potential. He was on track to be a top 5 player - an MVP candidate - early in his career. Then he got fed up, quit on his team and wasted valuable development time. Then he spent the rest of his career going through the motions - coasting.

Vince Carter was a very good defender who rarely played defense because it was hard work.

He was a fantastic offensive talent but did not like physical contact so shied away from it and settled for jump-shots instead.

Instead of being an MVP candidate in New Jersey, Carter was as the OP says a top 15 player in the league. Then his game fell off a cliff a few years later because all those bad habits he built up coasting for several years caught up to him when he started to decline physically.

He did well to reinvent himself a proper professional for the later years of his career but he wasted away his prime with his unwillingness to work hard.

Should be up there with Kobe Bryant and D-Wade competing for a spot in the top 5 SGs of All Time but Carter didn't want to do that work.

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 04:02:30 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I would like to also add VC was a top 15-20 player during his prime, and could go off.

impossible to answer until you explain what the "rate" is at which we should rank him? What were the expectations for him coming into the NBA? less than what he acheived? more?

without an reference such as this everyone here will invoke their own standard and talk by one another.

Thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 04:30:41 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Definitely failed to fulfill his potential. He was on track to be a top 5 player - an MVP candidate - early in his career. Then he got fed up, quit on his team and wasted valuable development time. Then he spent the rest of his career going through the motions - coasting.

Vince Carter was a very good defender who rarely played defense because it was hard work.

He was a fantastic offensive talent but did not like physical contact so shied away from it and settled for jump-shots instead.

Instead of being an MVP candidate in New Jersey, Carter was as the OP says a top 15 player in the league. Then his game fell off a cliff a few years later because all those bad habits he built up coasting for several years caught up to him when he started to decline physically.

He did well to reinvent himself a proper professional for the later years of his career but he wasted away his prime with his unwillingness to work hard.

Should be up there with Kobe Bryant and D-Wade competing for a spot in the top 5 SGs of All Time but Carter didn't want to do that work.

this pretty much sums up my thoughts too.

he failed to fulfill his potential and I have no problem calling him over-rated.  He had like 3 great seasons, then threw it on cruise control and made all star games just because of his reputation for amazing dunks (See Griffin, Blake) not because he outperformed other players at his position.

I really think All Star appearances should no be longer used as any kind of meaningful accolade, at least regarding performance.  I'd say that the most glaring thing when looking at Vinces resume is that he ONLY made two All NBA teams
Greg

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 06:15:41 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

Of all time??!!

Gotcha.

I think he is pretty properly ranked.  However, I do agree that he never quite lived up to potential.    His playoff track record hurts him, albeit not all his fault of course, but some of it falls on him.  He made it past the conference semis, what?  Once?

I'm just happy Carter and the Magic choked against us big time in the 2010 Eastern Conference Finals. It was so bad they shipped him to Phoenix the following year.

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 09:01:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He certainly failed to become what he could have been, but that doesn’t make him a bad player. His best season was his 3rd season though... really weird to plateau that early.

He was a great offensive force for a long time though, who generated an unrivalled amount of highlights.

I think of him similarly to DeMar DeRozan. A really solid player, but never made the improvements necessary to go from perennial All-Star calibre to MVP calibre.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 04:26:07 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Carter was pretty good. Reminds of guys like Glenn Rice and Reggie Miller.

Guys clearly good enough for debating where they rank as current players at a position. But rarely seen as best player in the league. Often overshadowed.

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 08:51:22 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He certainly failed to become what he could have been, but that doesn’t make him a bad player. His best season was his 3rd season though... really weird to plateau that early.

He was a great offensive force for a long time though, who generated an unrivalled amount of highlights.

I think of him similarly to DeMar DeRozan. A really solid player, but never made the improvements necessary to go from perennial All-Star calibre to MVP calibre.

Vince vs Dominique:  who you got?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 08:59:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Tough one, but I go with 'Nique. Longer period of peak performance, and I think a touch better at his peak. Even if I couldn't separate them as players, 'Nique played for the C's, so it's him by default ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 09:16:07 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I'd go Nique if for no other reason than that epic playoff battle against Bird.  I just don't see Vince putting up that kind of battle that Nique did and try to carry his team to victory.