Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238670 times)

Re: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1710 on: April 14, 2019, 11:34:47 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Wilt once blocked 25 shots in one game.
Wilt is also perhaps the most freakish athlete in sporting history
Playing against, on average, the least athletic players in league history, on average.
Yeah, so unless RWill morphs into 7'1" 280lb high-jumping sprinter and/or the league returns to being a far less lucrative and less literally professional place then I can't see him getting very close to 25 blocks, lol
Thus the 3-4 numbers

« Reply #1711 on: April 15, 2019, 05:47:26 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Playing against, on average, the least athletic players in league history, on average.

Yea, Bill Russell and Kareem were pretty unathletic.

Were those two indicative of the average NBA player at that time?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #1712 on: April 15, 2019, 06:09:53 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yeah, so unless RWill morphs into 7'1" 280lb high-jumping sprinter and/or the league returns to being a far less lucrative and less literally professional place then I can't see him getting very close to 25 blocks, lol
Thus the 3-4 numbers
Numbers which are still incredibly unrealistic
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1713 on: April 15, 2019, 09:11:42 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
It's really not that hard for a player who likes to block shots to average 3 blks a game playing over 25 minutes a game. What makes it hard is a switching defense that keeps your bigs all over the floor EXCEPT in the paint.

And the actual numbers are meaningless...the intimidation factor is everything.  Guys don't have confidence they can easily drive through the lane, they change their shots, look to pass back out and generally take more time off the clock and put the offense under pressure.

If none of that has value to you, then this team shouldn't be labeled a defensive-minded team.

I mean Mutombo "only" averaged 4 a game, but anyone with eyes saw that even elite players were in no hurry to take it to the rack against him.

So Brad playing Rob like that due to switching mistakes is like a double negative to the team.

Another thing people don't see is that Baynes, Theis, and Horford are actually rim protectors, but all of them rarely get blocks or are intimidating because they're always running over to help way too late to do anything against guys already in motion with a head of steam going to the hoop...so they ALL look like weak and amateurish defenders.

If people are going to ovelook important things like that in defense of Brad and his schemes, don't get mad at the people who just can't stomach that, and know how detrimental it is defensively regardless of their meaningles "rating".

When I say Brad fails his players, I really mean that in more ways than one.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:46:40 AM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #1714 on: April 15, 2019, 10:04:11 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

See for yourself....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJGCySdvlPo&t=411s

« Reply #1715 on: April 15, 2019, 10:05:09 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Thus the 3-4 numbers
Numbers which are still incredibly unrealistic
"incredibly unrealistic"
in your mind

« Reply #1716 on: April 15, 2019, 10:40:48 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

See for yourself....

I just wrote a whole post about that but timed out and lost it. I never saw him or Russell play, but would never have the audacity to take anything away from those guys. Just don't understand young people's need to do that because I never did that.  I watched Jabbar in his later years and as slow as he was, he was just as unstoppable left or right, and anywhere from 18 feet in. It's so obvious those guys would be even MORE dominant in their primes today.

I watched Ali in his later years where he struggled against good fighters but still won.  Then I saw clips of him in late 60's before the vietnam thing, and he was faster than Jones and Leonard while being a heavyweight with his intelligence on top of that.

They even forget how unstoppable Shaq was, with 2 and 3 guys grabbing him and he still brings them up with him and dunks. There was nothing anyone could do with him once he got the ball underneath and as big as he was, he lightning quick and even had handle. His hands were just too huge to shoot good.  Like trying to shoot a tennis ball.

But anyway, I just don't understand why these guys feel no one could do anything before they were born and have to make up stuff like "modern nba".  Just the most unintelligent position i've ever seen people take.

« Reply #1717 on: April 15, 2019, 11:38:01 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It's really not that hard for a player who likes to block shots to average 3 blks a game playing over 25 minutes a game. What makes it hard is a switching defense that keeps your bigs all over the floor EXCEPT in the paint.

And the actual numbers are meaningless...the intimidation factor is everything.  Guys don't have confidence they can easily drive through the lane, they change their shots, look to pass back out and generally take more time off the clock and put the offense under pressure.

If none of that has value to you, then this team shouldn't be labeled a defensive-minded team.

I mean Mutombo "only" averaged 4 a game, but anyone with eyes saw that even elite players were in no hurry to take it to the rack against him.

So Brad playing Rob like that due to switching mistakes is like a double negative to the team.

Another thing people don't see is that Baynes, Theis, and Horford are actually rim protectors, but all of them rarely get blocks or are intimidating because they're always running over to help way too late to do anything against guys already in motion with a head of steam going to the hoop...so they ALL look like weak and amateurish defenders.

If people are going to ovelook important things like that in defense of Brad and his schemes, don't get mad at the people who just can't stomach that, and know how detrimental it is defensively regardless of their meaningles "rating".

When I say Brad fails his players, I really mean that in more ways than one.

It sounds like maybe you haven't been paying attention to how the NBA has changed. In the last 11 seasons, only 3 times has a player averaged more than 3 bpg and one of those guys was Ibaka, twice. That means in over a decade only 2 guys in the entire league have averaged more than 3 bpg for a season. So the idea that "It's really not that hard for a player who likes to block shots to average 3 blks a game" is just wrong.

Maybe this is because you think it's still the 90's? Prior to the '09 season, someone averaged at least 3 bpg every single year for as long as blocks were recorded. Olajuwon, Mutombo, and Robinson all had seasons in the 90's where they topped 4 bpg. The illegal defense rules in the 80's and 90's made blocks much more plentiful around the league. It's a different NBA now.

Which means Robert Williams has a harder time blocking shots in today's NBA and, despite his obvious gifts, unlikely to maintain his scorching shot block pace over more playing time.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1718 on: April 15, 2019, 03:13:48 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
While all that's true, it's only the success of Golden state that made the league think they need to emulate that.  That's kinda my whole point...they're wrong.

And nobody made a law to use switching defense either. If a team right now played a traditional big man game, they would cut through the entire league.

To me the decision is just faulty.

Also, is Giannis playing 90's ball?  Davis?  Boogie?

It's idiotic to try to force centers to be Durant, and if a team is intelligent enough to use their strengths, rule changes don't matter.

And I hope the Bucks take it all, by the way...just to force some sense into this retarded league right now.

They all SHOULD be trying to play 90's ball...it was the best product the league ever produced.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:34:17 PM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #1719 on: April 15, 2019, 03:49:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

See for yourself....

I just wrote a whole post about that but timed out and lost it. I never saw him or Russell play, but would never have the audacity to take anything away from those guys. Just don't understand young people's need to do that because I never did that.  I watched Jabbar in his later years and as slow as he was, he was just as unstoppable left or right, and anywhere from 18 feet in. It's so obvious those guys would be even MORE dominant in their primes today.

I watched Ali in his later years where he struggled against good fighters but still won.  Then I saw clips of him in late 60's before the vietnam thing, and he was faster than Jones and Leonard while being a heavyweight with his intelligence on top of that.

They even forget how unstoppable Shaq was, with 2 and 3 guys grabbing him and he still brings them up with him and dunks. There was nothing anyone could do with him once he got the ball underneath and as big as he was, he lightning quick and even had handle. His hands were just too huge to shoot good.  Like trying to shoot a tennis ball.

But anyway, I just don't understand why these guys feel no one could do anything before they were born and have to make up stuff like "modern nba".  Just the most unintelligent position i've ever seen people take.
Who is trying to take away anything from Russell, Walt or Kareem. They blocked a lot of shots because they played against players, that were, on average, nowhere near as athletic as they were. I am not talking about Elgin Baylor, Jerry West or John Havlicek whose athleticism spans decades. I am talking about the vast majority of players in that time.

Just about every team had one or two huge unathletic goons as massive physicality in the paint and fights were common. Most players were still very one handed in their ability to dribble. Players weren't into weight training and didn't stay in NBA shape all year. It was a different time and the average player wasn't even as athletic as the current average Division 1 NCAA team.

And if you mix the majority of players not being as athletic as Russell and Will with the dominating physical presence Russ and Will were and the simplified game that tried to force things inside, then you get ridiculous block and rebound numbers that Will and Bill got.

It's not their fault that the average NBA player wasn't nearly as athletic as they were and it's not disrespect to Bill and Will to say so.

« Reply #1720 on: April 15, 2019, 04:26:02 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

See for yourself....

Who is trying to take away anything from Russell, Walt or Kareem. They blocked a lot of shots because they played against players, that were, on average, nowhere near as athletic as they were. I am not talking about Elgin Baylor, Jerry West or John Havlicek whose athleticism spans decades. I am talking about the vast majority of players in that time.

Just about every team had one or two huge unathletic goons as massive physicality in the paint and fights were common. Most players were still very one handed in their ability to dribble. Players weren't into weight training and didn't stay in NBA shape all year. It was a different time and the average player wasn't even as athletic as the current average Division 1 NCAA team.

And if you mix the majority of players not being as athletic as Russell and Will with the dominating physical presence Russ and Will were and the simplified game that tried to force things inside, then you get ridiculous block and rebound numbers that Will and Bill got.

It's not their fault that the average NBA player wasn't nearly as athletic as they were and it's not disrespect to Bill and Will to say so.

Nick, i'm not even that old and I don't understand this post. I even use to think that about players like Bob cousey, who had cheap sneakers out when I was a kid, and because of that, I thought he stunk because of the jokes about his shoes....UNTIL I WATCHED THE MAN. I didn't even see the Doc play one game in the ABA either, which was his best years. I can safely say there's not one player in this league today that is better than him just from his years in Philly.  You can argue Lebron...but i'm not buying.

And what yall are doing is saying in the 70's players stunk. You gotta be kidding me, man.  I won't even start naming players because I would be here all day, not to mention will forget alot because of my age then.

There's always youtube I guess, if some are clear enough to actually watch.

But if most of you guys are 20's and 30's...i'm sorry but you really don't know what you're saying, and if you didn't watch a season back then to see the little nuances of their ability...how on earth can you make that kinda statement?

That's like me trying to tell you about society in England or something.

And TODAY there are like 7 unathletic goons sitting on the bench of every team in this league.

That is no gauge at all.

Do you realize a relatively unassuming player like Bobby Jones in Philly was actually better than Hayward?

Because he sure was and was seen as an afterthought.

Olynik would have never gotten off the bench back then. I'm dead serious.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:44:54 PM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #1721 on: April 15, 2019, 04:53:35 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
I think some people here missed my point. There has never been anyone like Wilt. Before or since.

Could Williams average 3 or 4 blocks a game? Sure. Williams is one of the best shot blockers I have ever seen, and I have watched the NBA for 50 years.

« Reply #1722 on: April 15, 2019, 05:23:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

See for yourself....

Nick, i'm not even that old and I don't understand this post. I even use to think that about players like Bob cousey, who had cheap sneakers out when I was a kid, and because of that, I thought he stunk because of the jokes about his shoes....UNTIL I WATCHED THE MAN. I didn't even see the Doc play one game in the ABA either, which was his best years. I can safely say there's not one player in this league today that is better than him just from his years in Philly.  You can argue Lebron...but i'm not buying.

And what yall are doing is saying in the 70's players stunk. You gotta be kidding me, man.  I won't even start naming players because I would be here all day, not to mention will forget alot because of my age then.

But if most of you guys are 20's and 30's...i'm sorry but you really don't know what you're saying, and if you didn't watch a season back then to see the little nuances of their ability...how on earth can you make that kinda statement?

And TODAY there are like 7 unathletic goons sitting on the bench of every team in this league.

That is no gauge at all.

Do you realize a relatively unassuming player like Bobby Jones in Philly was actually better than Hayward?

I'm 54. Not 20 something. I grew up on 70's basketball. And I am mostly talking 60's and early 70's NBA basketball. And again, I am not talking about the most athletic of the players. I am talking the average player.

Take for instance 1969-70. I am not talking about Kareem, Elvin Hayes, Jerry West, Unseld, Reed, or the top athletes of the time. But all it takes is a small move down the leaderboards of that era to see ridiculously unathletic players getting big minutes. Take a look:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_1970_totals.html#totals_stats::mp

You can do the same thing every year in the 60's. The average NBA player was not as athletic or skilled as today's average NBA player. That, and the simple game of that time where the entire game plan was get it into the paint, is what led to the ridiculous blocks Russell and Wilt put up in that era.

« Reply #1723 on: April 15, 2019, 06:48:44 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

See for yourself....

That is no gauge at all.

I'm 54. Not 20 something. I grew up on 70's basketball. And I am mostly talking 60's and early 70's NBA basketball. And again, I am not talking about the most athletic of the players. I am talking the average player.

Take for instance 1969-70. I am not talking about Kareem, Elvin Hayes, Jerry West, Unseld, Reed, or the top athletes of the time. But all it takes is a small move down the leaderboards of that era to see ridiculously unathletic players getting big minutes. Take a look:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_1970_totals.html#totals_stats::mp

You can do the same thing every year in the 60's. The average NBA player was not as athletic or skilled as today's average NBA player. That, and the simple game of that time where the entire game plan was get it into the paint, is what led to the ridiculous blocks Russell and Wilt put up in that era.

« Reply #1724 on: April 15, 2019, 07:06:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

See for yourself....

That is no gauge at all.

Thank you for proving my point. Watch the game. Very slow guys with little lift trying to take it inside exclusively against a transcendent athlete.

Watch the dribbling. Players looking down at the ball to dribble. Dominant hand exclusive. That is so easy to guard.

Watch the players on the floor that get left in the dust because they are so slow.

Outside shooting was almost always a set shot and easy to time to block.