Author Topic: What if: RR/PP/JG/LMA/KG  (Read 2536 times)

What if: RR/PP/JG/LMA/KG
« on: July 21, 2013, 10:01:19 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
So...what if the stars had lined up, and Danny was the one willing to part with picks and pieces to trade up?  We have all of our own picks to trade, after all.

And now LMA might be available.  LMA, another mobile, shooting/scoring PF similar to KG offensively, to give an all-allstar starting 5 (except JG, who is on the way).  Could one more allstar (and RR health) have been enough?

Would we be continuing to contend right on throughout, without a bridge or tank year if this were possible, like the Lakers have managed to do so often (and we used to)?

Rondo
Pierce
JGreen
LMA
KG

as a starting 5, no scoring problems there, plenty of shooting, great size, etc. etc.

If they defend, they contend.

Re: What if: RR/PP/JG/LMA/KG
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 10:05:38 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Not possible with capspace.
Good squad maybe not quick enough at SG.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 10:12:43 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Huh?  Not talking about FA signings here. 

Talking about trading for a star player (rather than role players), and trading our own 1sts to do it.

BKN mortgaged their future picks for the pieces to make a legit run.  We don't need as many pieces, but Danny traded away instead of bringing in.  What if he went the other way and held on, then a player like LMA becomes available (like he seems to be)?

Making something up that might work:  Sully, Bass, Bradley, 1st for LMA.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:42:34 AM »

Offline chenaren

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
Let's talk about Olynyk.... Move on please...

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:44:23 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
KG and PP's full-time, starter, star minutes have passed, and only a Russian billionaire is willing to spend something approaching a hundred million to have such highly paid role players employed toward the purchase of a possible title.

And neither PP nor JG can handle a starting SG position IMO.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 10:46:37 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
It mind boggles me that people think the Blazers would actually trade Aldridge for our picks and prospects. Seriously their management views him the way ours views Rondo, as they should. You don't trade a star for unproven rookies/sophomores and some possible mid-late first round picks.

Now maybe in a year if someone like Sully develops really well this year that could change. But right now, we would never have gotten Aldridge and kept all those pieces.

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 10:47:15 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
whats the point of even discussing this?!  let's talk about realistic scenarios

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 11:09:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Water under the bridge.   BTW, did you hear KG and PP got traded?   

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 11:12:49 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
You were likely going to need Jeff Green in any trade to get Aldridge.

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 11:21:27 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
You were likely going to need Jeff Green in any trade to get Aldridge.

More like Rondo to get Aldridge. But since they have Lillard this really had no realistic shot at happening.

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 11:24:01 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Would ne perfect to trade Kardashian for Aldridge?

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 11:25:45 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
What if we could clone a young Bird and Russell too? Just about as possible now as this team.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 02:00:29 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I like hypothetical situations and I wish people who just want to shoot down the OP would just keep their negativity and hostility to themselves.

I don't think we had enough to trade for LMA. Maybe next season when he's trying to push his way out of Portland there would be a possibility. One idea I was never brave enough to post was

Celtics trade: Bass/Lee/2014-#16/2015-#1
Philly sign/trades Bynum @ 12M/yr (basically his Cleveland deal) and 2014 and 2015 2nds

This would have give us another year of expected contention.

We'd sign Pietrus, Barbosa and best backup C we could get for the minimum and be on our way to a late playoff seed and banking on a Cinderella story.

Ainge did the smart thing in trading away our vets and taking on (a lot of) salary for (a lot) of picks. The Nets have mortgaged their next 5 years of development for a chance at 2 years of contention. Not a bad move for either team I think...since it's not my money :)

Ainge saw KG and PP not playing well at the end of games, being winded and over-extended and needing more and more supporting cast help. Those are the telltale signs of a superstar career that is ending. If 30 minutes of basketball isn't something you can contribute you're a role player. If I were a GM I'd be hard pressed to pay 27M/yr for 2 role players, amazing though they are. It's not unheard of, it's just not a great idea. In 2 years I expect both PP and KG to be Celtics. Either playing their last year or ceremonially retiring as C's. Here is a better what-if though:

Celtics sign Oden, tank, get #2 and pick Parker. Trade salary (Bass/Humphries exp.) and our 2016 1st and Nets 2016 1st for Eric Gordon. Sign Pau Gasol to a 2yr/20M contract and waive Wallace via stretch to have enough cap space to do it.

Rondo/AB
Gordon/Lee
Green/Parker
Sully/KO
Oden/Gasol

We're 2-deep at every position with NBA starters after a bridge year. We can sign PP to play as a ringer in 2015 and bring KG back in 2016 so they can ride the second wave to banner #18 or let them ceremonially retire as C's.

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 06:25:49 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Huh?  Not talking about FA signings here. 

Talking about trading for a star player (rather than role players), and trading our own 1sts to do it.

BKN mortgaged their future picks for the pieces to make a legit run.  We don't need as many pieces, but Danny traded away instead of bringing in.  What if he went the other way and held on, then a player like LMA becomes available (like he seems to be)?

Making something up that might work:  Sully, Bass, Bradley, 1st for LMA.

I know what you meant, I just mean that you can't get Aldridge here by dumping Bass or Wallace or Hump on the other team with Bradley+Sully+2 first rounders.I mean maybe if he was super peeved as you mentioned.
You could dump Pierce though and have KG, Aldridge, Green, Rondo.
That would be nice :)
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.