Poll

Would you sign Kemba Walker to the max (4/140M; 32.7M 1st Year)

Yes
80 (66.1%)
No
41 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Kemba Walker (Kemba to formalize agreement on Sunday, pg 40)  (Read 76040 times)

Re: Kemba Walker/Celtics free agency rumor(merged).
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2019, 09:05:21 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
IDK, maybe prioritize a starting caliber center?

I think we win a lot more games with Smart at the point and an impact center, than we do with Kemba/Russell and the time lord playing big minutes in the middle.

Go big then sign a mid level point guard like nick collision to anchor the second unit.

Re: How would you feel about the C’s going after Kemba?
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2019, 09:08:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Posted this in another thread. Now I'll post it in this merged Kemba one:

Kemba's max would come at 32.7M for the 1st year. Even if we signed him, we'd have maybe like 2M left, or 5-6M if we found a way to salary dump Yabusele.

And our current front court depth is basically Grant Williams, Timelord, maybe Theis? We have an absolute dire need there still.

So if we sign Kemba... how on earth are we retooling the front court?

That's why I think we're better off signing D'Lo and then adding 1-2 decent centers (someone like a Lopez or Dedmon, etc kind of additions).

Kemba is currently 29. Russell is younger with room to improve, and his max would be 27M first year. We'd still have 8-10M in cap space to fill out our front court, and yes, we NEED bodies there.

Hayward and a pick for kemba.

Man you're really going all-in trying to get Hayward out of Boston  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2019, 09:09:15 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Who cares about the whole "fitting the timeline" thing. You gonna have to win by having veteran presence down the road anyway.

Get Kemba, make a move on a center and power forward and we should be set. Bye bye Irving and Horford.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2019, 09:12:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Posted this in another thread. Now I'll post it in this merged Kemba one:

Kemba's max would come at 32.7M for the 1st year. Even if we signed him, we'd have maybe like 2M left, or 5-6M if we found a way to salary dump Yabusele.

And our current front court depth is basically Grant Williams, Timelord, maybe Theis? We have an absolute dire need there still.

So if we sign Kemba... how on earth are we retooling the front court?

That's why I think we're better off signing D'Lo and then adding 1-2 decent centers (someone like a Lopez or Dedmon, etc kind of additions).

Kemba is currently 29. Russell is younger with room to improve, and his max would be 27M first year. We'd still have 8-10M in cap space to fill out our front court, and yes, we NEED bodies there.

Hayward and a pick for kemba.

Man you're really going all-in trying to get Hayward out of Boston  :P
Props for his effort, but no props for the actual ideas.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2019, 09:27:42 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
They got one max in Hayward. They can only get one more max? I don't know how they can fit 3 maxes under the cap.

« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2019, 09:33:07 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Sorry, I don’t see how he picks the Celtics as the team to join to lose 81 mil. The Lakers, sure, if he wants an 81 million dollar ring. He’s almost 100% taking the Supermax, and if he doesn’t it’s not Boston.

« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2019, 09:44:58 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I’d rationalize either way.   C’s are a better team with Kemba and I think he’s s player that can help the Jays’ growth.  Still need a better than solid 5.  If C’s don’t get Kemba I’ll be OK — I’m a bit mervous about committing to another max on another 2nd tier star. 

« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2019, 09:45:20 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Why would the Mavs want Kemba? Feels like a bad fit with Luka already being there. People want to talk about timeline I don’t like that timeline in Dallas at all. Just feels like Cuban showing his impatience again and not wanting to build from the bottom up with an already potential MVP winner already in the fold. They should be trying to get a guy like Brogdan instead imo.

« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2019, 09:48:41 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Sorry, I don’t see how he picks the Celtics as the team to join to lose 81 mil. The Lakers, sure, if he wants an 81 million dollar ring. He’s almost 100% taking the Supermax, and if he doesn’t it’s not Boston.
How is he losing $81 million? Everything I've read says they aren't going to offer him the supermax. He can't lose something he never had.

« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2019, 10:02:14 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

How exactly is he 100% going to take something that Charlotte isn't going to offer, which seems to be the prevailing opinion? They're adamant that they're not going to be in the luxury tax next year, and to give him the supermax and stay out of the lottery would mean they would have to sell off some of their vets and make their already weak, non-playoff team even worse.

I could very well see Kemba leaving this year and Charlotte starting over. He may not come to Boston, but the notion that he's a lock to return is far from certain.

« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2019, 10:04:05 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Why would the Mavs want Kemba? Feels like a bad fit with Luka already being there. People want to talk about timeline I don’t like that timeline in Dallas at all. Just feels like Cuban showing his impatience again and not wanting to build from the bottom up with an already potential MVP winner already in the fold. They should be trying to get a guy like Brogdan instead imo.

Brogdon would be an interesting fit next to Luka, though you'll have to pay out of the nose to get him. Not sure that Milwaukee will ultimately let him go for any price, though.

« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2019, 10:10:27 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Who cares about the whole "fitting the timeline" thing. You gonna have to win by having veteran presence down the road anyway.

Get Kemba, make a move on a center and power forward and we should be set. Bye bye Irving and Horford.

So basically re sign kyrie and Horford and get over ourselves.

« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2019, 10:24:31 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

So basically re sign kyrie and Horford and get over ourselves.

Except Kyrie doesn't want to be here anymore. Danny don't need to kiss his buttcheek. He will sign whoever star players that wants to play here that fits their goal and chemistry.

« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2019, 10:29:07 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Not sure if this is even possible, but could we sign and trade any one of our pending free agents for a trade exception, then after we sign Walker use that trade exception to go after a big guy in a trade?

Charlotte would get the tpe, not us.

We would need charlotte to wamt hayward as opposed to nothing at all and have that be the deal

It seems you always want to get rid of Hayward for nothing, but in this case, if we had lined up a max FA big man, this trade could make some sense with our abundance of wings. 

The situation you're proposing is to trade for a PG, and that allows us to sign a big.  Vucevic seems like a bad signing to me, but on the other hand, Kemba/Smart/Brown/Tatum/Vucevic could be a top 4 team in the East.

However, I think I'd prefer to keep Hayward if we get Kemba and resign Horford somewhere between DA's # and Al's #, and perhaps have room for another signing.

Another interesting possibility is trading for a big like Capela with a wing, a non-Memphis pick and perhaps another asset, so that we could sign a max FA PG.  If we then signed Kemba we could be legit next season, or pursue a young PG like Russell who's cheaper on the Jays' (if we kept Brown) and Capela's timeline, leaving a lineup of Russell / Smart / Brown or GH / Tatum / Capela, with everyone's bird rights for the future.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2019, 10:58:48 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
If the C's were going to pursue Kemba, and he agreed to a meeting, the first thing that comes out is game tape of IT. "Picture yourself in those sets - we turned IT into an MVP candidate. What could you do with that?"
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens