Poll

Would you sign Kemba Walker to the max (4/140M; 32.7M 1st Year)

Yes
80 (66.1%)
No
41 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Kemba Walker (Kemba to formalize agreement on Sunday, pg 40)  (Read 76846 times)

Re: How would you feel about the C’s going after Kemba?
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2019, 07:01:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
After giving this a lot of thought, I would much rather:

1. Sign Ricky Rubio (a Gordon Hayward guy who is a Brad Stevens guy).
2. Trade for Stephen Adams.

Justification:

- We don't over-extend for an aging max contract.
- We arm ourselves with tradeable contracts (Smart, Rubio, Adams) to match salaries should the right max player (e.g. Karl-Anthony Towns) become available via trade (combined with the Memphis Pick and one of Tatum/Brown if need be).
- We also compete in the near term.

I would venture to say this team would be beloved amongst fans given its grit and ferocity.

PG: Ricky Rubio
SG: Jaylen Brown
SF: Gordon Hayward
PF: Jayson Tatum
C: Stephen Adams

Bench Depth: Marcus Smart, Grant Williams, RWIII, Semi Ojeleye, Romeo Langford, Carsen Edwards, Vet Min (Jared Dudley), Vet Min (Isaiah Thomas)
I could get with this, or the same but with a Collison or Beverly. I would, however, also use the Room Exception to add an Ed Davis, Kenneth Faried, Kyle O'Quinn, JaVale McGee, etc., if he can get a player like that at $4.7 million. I think another bench big that can be a definite role playing player will also be necessary, rather than relying on GWill, RWill and Yabu for quality rotation minutes they may not be ready to provide.

Re: Kemba Walker/Celtics free agency rumor(merged).
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2019, 07:12:42 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Seriously im torn between yes or no to Walker..love to have him but think our biggest need is a Center..now if we get Walker and sign Bryant and eithet Dedmon or Noel to rotate at Center that be good..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2019, 07:14:55 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I'd rather get a BIG and resign Terry to a Marcus Smart Contract. 

Terry/Smart
Brown/Romeo
Hayward/Semi
Tatum/Williams
Voc/Willimas

Yab, 3 Rookies and let Brad Stevens coach these guys to play right.   Spending big money on an undersized Kemba seems like an okay fit, bit the cap and roster works out better if we go after a Center.

Puke.

Rozier is a worse player than smart but lets pay terry as much as smart AND starstarty him over smart.

Rozier must have a big family on this site.

Rozier is not worse then Smart.

Hes better in pretty much every way except size and defense - amd especially on upside.

Wrong.

Rozier had better rebounding numbers.

Smart, last season, trumped roziers best season.

Smart is the better playmaker, the more willing passer, the better more effective shooter, the stronger player and an absolute gamechanger on defense. He is top 4 in the nba at defending and has shown he can win you games by doing that.

Best ofball you can start smart and move him to the bench, you gave give him 15 shots or none, you can tell him to defend pg-pf and he will. Always. And without complaint.

He was better at every single thing than rozier outside of hunting for rebounds to stat pad and being a cancer to the team.

You smart lovers really make me chuckle with your illusions of grandeur.

Rozier is a better rebounder then smart, this cant even be debated.

Rozier is a better playmaker then Smart - his assist:TO and bad pass averages (not only last year but across his entire career) make this abundantly clear.

Rozier is a better ball handler, again made clear by his lower turnover rates and less "lost ball" turnovers.  Again this isnt just last year, but for their entire careers.

Rozier is also clearly a better shooter.  He has shot better percentages from  the fueld and from three then Smart EVERY SINGLE YEAR except last year, which is the year you conveniently chose to single out.

Last i checked playmaking, ball handling shooting and defence are the four most important abilities for a PG. Rozier has been better then Smart in 3 of those 4 areas OVER THEIR CAREERS.

Back to the actual  question, personally I'd say its probably more critical for bison to use that cap space to go after a big like vicevic, since that's our thinnest area.

That said,  Kemba likely IS the best plauer available right now, and is a huge upgrade over either Rozier or Smart, so i can understand why Danny would consider making that move.  Afterwards he could still renounce Rozier to clear up some more cap space and then use that (in a trade of FA) to bring in a big. He could also still ise the MLE to bring in another big. Options are there

So you need to take a 4 year sample to try and make rozier better. And you are wrong

Over their careers
Smart better ts%
Better better ast%
Better st%
Better blk%
Ows
Dws
Ws
Obpm
Dbpm
Bpm
Vorp

All favor smart over terry for their careers.

But tell me more about how rozier us better.

Smart has imprived each year. Rozier hasnt.
Smart is a game changer
Rozier isnt

Smart is better and has always been better than terry rozier

« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2019, 07:18:22 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
After giving this a lot of thought, I would much rather:

1. Sign Ricky Rubio (a Gordon Hayward guy who is a Brad Stevens guy).
2. Trade for Stephen Adams.

Justification:

- We don't over-extend for an aging max contract.
- We arm ourselves with tradeable contracts (Smart, Rubio, Adams) to match salaries should the right max player (e.g. Karl-Anthony Towns) become available via trade (combined with the Memphis Pick and one of Tatum/Brown if need be).
- We also compete in the near term.

I would venture to say this team would be beloved amongst fans given its grit and ferocity.

PG: Ricky Rubio
SG: Jaylen Brown
SF: Gordon Hayward
PF: Jayson Tatum
C: Stephen Adams

Bench Depth: Marcus Smart, Grant Williams, RWIII, Semi Ojeleye, Romeo Langford, Carsen Edwards, Vet Min (Jared Dudley), Vet Min (Isaiah Thomas)
I could get with this, or the same but with a Collison or Beverly. I would, however, also use the Room Exception to add an Ed Davis, Kenneth Faried, Kyle O'Quinn, JaVale McGee, etc., if he can get a player like that at $4.7 million. I think another bench big that can be a definite role playing player will also be necessary, rather than relying on GWill, RWill and Yabu for quality rotation minutes they may not be ready to provide.

Yeah I like the outlook of that squad. Ricky and Adams would instantly become fan favorites here in Boston. It would be a cheaper option that still allows us to compete. We would need to fill out the roster with some more veteran depth which might be tricky. I think Dudley is a great start.

I think using the room on Davis, Faried or Demare Caroll is essential. I'd also like to see if we could get a vet min from Tyson Chandler (if the room on Caroll), Corey Brewer, Luc Richard, or Luol Deng.

Rubio 28/ Smart 14/Edwards 6
Brown 32/Smart 16/Langford
Hayward 30/Brewer 18/Semi
Tatum 34/Dudley 14/GWilliams
Adams 30/Davis 18/RWilliams

« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2019, 07:33:58 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 599
I don't care if Kemba is slightly worse than Kyrie. Is IT better than Kyrie? No, but we have better record with him because he plays within the system. The only reason the Cavs almost swept them in ECF is because he was banged up at that point.

With the Celtics now, Kemba doesn't have to shoulder the whole offense. Basing his character and reputation, I think he's more willing to defer to the young guys, much like Shaq was to Wade. If winning is Kemba's priority, he'd do everything Brad will ask him to do.

Not to mention, we won't hear any drama from this guy. He's a known leader in that Hornets team despite their lack of success.

As for bigs, we have cheap ones available for MLE or min. Guys like Bogut, R-Lo, Dedmon, etc. are on the market.

« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2019, 07:39:37 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
have to wonder. if Kemba signs, does Horford reconsider the celtics offer? a team with Kemba/Jaylen/Hayward/tatum adding in Horford is alot more appealing than kemba switched out for Rozier

« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2019, 07:46:27 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Assuming both horford and irving walk:

If the nets renounce russell to sign kyrie, i’d rather go russell over kemba. 6 years younger, cheaper salary.

Though all things being equal, team might be bettter off with vucevic or steven adams and sharing the ball handling among smart, rozier, hayward, brown, tatum.

« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2019, 07:47:17 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
have to wonder. if Kemba signs, does Horford reconsider the celtics offer? a team with Kemba/Jaylen/Hayward/tatum adding in Horford is alot more appealing than kemba switched out for Rozier

I dont think that can happen. To sign kemba youd have to give up horfords bird rights.

« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2019, 07:48:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

No cap space, right? Horford cap hold to big. We would have to renounce him to sign Kemba.

« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2019, 07:53:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

If the nets renounce russell to sign kyrie, i’d rather go russell over kemba. 6 years younger, cheaper salary.

Though all things being equal, team might be bettter off with vucevic or steven adams and sharing the ball handling among smart, rozier, hayward, brown, tatum.

Yeah, I do wonder if “less is more” with this group after last year. With Tatum’s and Brown’s growth and Hayward’s (hopeful) improvement, it may be the case that they have enough firepower themselves when given the appropriate room to operate.

« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2019, 08:12:09 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Not much cheaper and not as proven as kemba.

Russell is worse than kemba at everyrthing other than being younger.

« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2019, 08:40:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I don’t really think either are the answer, but Russell is already a better passer, is 6 years younger than Kemba and is 6’5”. Can’t just ignore the boxes D-Lo ticks
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2019, 08:42:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Exactly. Just because a player is younger, doesn't mean he's better.

« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2019, 08:43:31 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Interesting news.

Kemba is apparently a team leader/good locker room guy. It will be interesting to see how much real interest he has in Boston.

He’s also a good player. He’s 29 though but he might be the best “fit” out of the rumored guys. In all honesty, he deserves way better than Charlotte. Guy legit carried that team as best he could.

« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2019, 08:58:16 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Leaving Russell out of the equation altogether...

What's the history of 29-year old point guards and their longevity?

Mike