Author Topic: Bass, Terry and Wilcox for Gooden and Delambert  (Read 5843 times)

Bass, Terry and Wilcox for Gooden and Delambert
« on: January 16, 2013, 04:00:45 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
One of the few trades that I can see happening without the Cs giving up a rookie contract player or a 1st round pick.

Logic:

MIL won't take Bass or Terry for Delambert straight up, I'd suspect. But Gooden is absolute deadweight on the Bucks... he's less tradable than Bass on almost precisely the same contract. Presumably they'd happily take Bass in exchange for Gooden straight-up -- a hard situation to find across the NBA.

Milwaukee struggles to be relevant (and attract FAs) in a small NBA market. Yet they're still above .500 and looking to compete, in large part to increase their chances of convincing Jennings (OR Ellis, to a lesser extent) to stay after this season.  Terry acts as the primary back-up this year, a valuable bench guy for the next couple of years, and brings championship pedigree to a young locker room.

For the Cs, my POV should be obvious from this trade. I don't see Terry's impact being enough to prohibit moving him for Delambert, who despite likely having been out of shape, has picked up right where he left off in years past under new coach Jim Boylan -- productive and disruptive.

The wild card is Gooden. Strange the way when he played for MIL last year, he played well, and yet now he never plays. If that's because of the depth of young guys they have at the 4 (Sanders, Ilyasova, The Fresh Prince), then I think he's a wash or even an upgrade from Bass. If not, well, not pretty...

To me, it's worth that risk for a significant upgrade at the 5, and 2 years less of either Bass or Terry, depending on how you look at it. 

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Bass, Terry and Wilcox for Gooden and Delambert
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 04:05:24 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I don't hate the trade but I'm not sure Danny sends Terry off to the bucks. Its not really a good PR move to other vets/agents around the league.

I still think the Bucks will be the Cs trading partner just not sure how it will word out.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 04:06:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Milwaukee doesn't need Jason Terry, and needs Dalembert more than Bass. Only way this could happen is if they're into charity.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 04:10:27 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I hate this trade. Dalembert is overrated on this board in my opinion. Bass is better the gooden. Gooden hasn't even played this season and unlike bass has no repoire with our players. Jet is simply the best player in this trade and he's outgoing so no go.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 04:10:43 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'd probably pass on this. Bass & Wilcox vs Dalmebert & Gooden seems like a lateral move. But then losing Terry would sting. It's a long season and I think Terry will prove his worth.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 04:11:57 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 408
One of the few trades that I can see happening without the Cs giving up a rookie contract player or a 1st round pick.

Logic:

MIL won't take Bass or Terry for Delambert straight up, I'd suspect. But Gooden is absolute deadweight on the Bucks... he's less tradable than Bass on almost precisely the same contract. Presumably they'd happily take Bass in exchange for Gooden straight-up -- a hard situation to find across the NBA.

Milwaukee struggles to be relevant (and attract FAs) in a small NBA market. Yet they're still above .500 and looking to compete, in large part to increase their chances of convincing Jennings (OR Ellis, to a lesser extent) to stay after this season.  Terry acts as the primary back-up this year, a valuable bench guy for the next couple of years, and brings championship pedigree to a young locker room.

For the Cs, my POV should be obvious from this trade. I don't see Terry's impact being enough to prohibit moving him for Delambert, who despite likely having been out of shape, has picked up right where he left off in years past under new coach Jim Boylan -- productive and disruptive.

The wild card is Gooden. Strange the way when he played for MIL last year, he played well, and yet now he never plays. If that's because of the depth of young guys they have at the 4 (Sanders, Ilyasova, The Fresh Prince), then I think he's a wash or even an upgrade from Bass. If not, well, not pretty...

To me, it's worth that risk for a significant upgrade at the 5, and 2 years less of either Bass or Terry, depending on how you look at it.
I've heard numerous trade ideas this year without much merit and/or not giving the C's what they would need to compete. This is by far the most logical trade idea I've seen. Not sure if the bucks take this deal, but getting back a legit 5 who can protect the rim and a  serviceable 4 to replace some of BB's minutes works out great. Would probably give up a 2nd round pick as well to make this happen.

*EDIT
Didn't notice we'd be giving up Wilcox as well, i don't do it with him included, bass and Terry alone yes, but i want that big man insurance that is Wilcox. Give them Collins if salaries is the issue, but don't give up our energy big who truly gives us 5 deep in big man depth and doesn't make me cringe when he's on the floor i.e. Jason Collins.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:19:07 PM by cletus1985 »

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 04:24:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This deal only makes sense if the C's are blowing it up, and trying to open up cap space going forward.  Dalembert is terrible, and would be hated by Doc, and likely never play...not to mention at this point in his career is a worse player than Bass, Terry and Wilcox, and Drew Gooden is a shadow of his former (mediocre) self.  Dalembert puts up some stats, and he can be disruptive, but he is generally as disruptive to his own team than the opponents, and that is magnified when playing in a complex system like the C's, where execution by all 5 players is key.  He would be an upgrade over Collins, but would really hurt the team overall.

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 04:28:20 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Milwaukee doesn't need Jason Terry, and needs Dalembert more than Bass. Only way this could happen is if they're into charity.

charity is paying a guy $20mil over 3 years to play zero minutes when you're a small market, low revenue NBA team.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 04:33:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

charity is paying a guy $20mil over 3 years to play zero minutes when you're a small market, low revenue NBA team.
And to fix that ... yes, you guessed it, they'll take on ever more money for players that they don't need while giving away players that they do need. Smart move... NOT!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 04:40:42 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

And to fix that ... yes, you guessed it, they'll take on ever more money for players that they don't need while giving away players that they do need. Smart move... NOT!

Who do they need?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 04:41:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not liking this deal at all.  just don't think Gooden will offer much -- would prefer Bass over him.   I'm not so sure about the value for the other part JET/Wilcox for Dalembert.  Sammy can't get off their bench.  JET still can be productive and Wilcox is useful when he's healthy. 

if salaries allowed for it, I'd do Bass for Dalembert straight up.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 04:43:21 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
This deal only makes sense if the C's are blowing it up, and trying to open up cap space going forward.  Dalembert is terrible, and would be hated by Doc, and likely never play...not to mention at this point in his career is a worse player than Bass, Terry and Wilcox, and Drew Gooden is a shadow of his former (mediocre) self.  Dalembert puts up some stats, and he can be disruptive, but he is generally as disruptive to his own team than the opponents, and that is magnified when playing in a complex system like the C's, where execution by all 5 players is key.  He would be an upgrade over Collins, but would really hurt the team overall.

So you like the deal...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 04:46:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

So you like the deal...

LOVE it.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 04:53:49 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

So you like the deal...

LOVE it.

I'm not immune to the concern around Delambert's ability to pick up the Cs system.

But assuming a little ramp time for him, I'd rather take Delambert into a 2013 Celtics playoff series than Terry. I'm sure that will be seen as extreme -- just how I feel. 
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 05:01:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

So you like the deal...

LOVE it.

I'm not immune to the concern around Delambert's ability to pick up the Cs system.

But assuming a little ramp time for him, I'd rather take Delambert into a 2013 Celtics playoff series than Terry. I'm sure that will be seen as extreme -- just how I feel.

I don't like Dalembert at all, and think that he needs more than a little ramp up time.  I think there would be a really good chance he would never get out of Docs doghouse.

With that said, Dalembert for Terry straight up makes a lot more sense for the C's.  Because you aren't replacing Bass with Dalembert, you are replacing Collins with Dalembert, and basically trading out Terry for Barbosa as your 4th guard, while opening up space under the tax next year.

THAT makes sense.