Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 245298 times)

Re: Robert Williams and the makings of a masterpiece
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2018, 10:03:25 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
http://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1013537987492302848

Yeah, not the greatest start to Williams’ Celtics career...

Lol.  He's very young.

I mean... He's 20. How old do you have to be to be on time?

I turned 20 not so long ago. So hopefully not for another few years at the minimum  :P  :laugh:

I once heard there are 3 things that count: Be good, be likable, and be on time. But you only have to be 2 of the 3. If you're good enough and on time, you can be as big of a jerk as you want. If people like you and you'e on time, you can get by without being very good.

I hope you're good and charming;D

Absolutely!  :P

I mean I was joking of course, but yeah I'm on time for a lot of things (except large lectures sometimes LOL, but that's normal these days if we're being honest).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
not a good start. Appearance is everything and so far he is showing that his character concerns might be legit.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
@AdamHimmelsbach

No details yet, but presumably that's another stupid move by the rook.

This happened today ?  He missed the first practice for summer league that started today? What flight - I thought he was already in Boston after his press conference ?

Please provide more info .......

He was in Boston Friday, went back home, and missed his return flight to Boston today.

Why, you ask, didn’t he stay overnight in Boston, maybe putting in some work like Tatum and trying to make a positive impression? Good question.

Indeed.

I also would have thought the Celtics would have had someone monitoring him on where he goes from the get go. I’m not excusing him. Just hope we are pro active in creating structure for a kid who obviously lacks in it.

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I'd test him for drugs the second he gets to the team and if it's positive I'd tell him to drive up to Maine where he will be remaining with the Red Claws till at least the All Star break. This cycle has to end immediately.

If he doesn't test positive make him carry the bags and fetch everyone water during all summer league.

In practice he wears a yellow jersey till he earns a green one

Quite a leap from being late to a flight to drugs. Let's not assume the worst possible thing here.
Well what is the good reason for missing the flight?  I mean how much are we going to baby this guy and shrug our shoulders? Were you late for work your first day? How about your 2nd day? There need to be immediate clear consequences. Personally I think he was gonna be on the flight but then he got high. Na na na na na na. I'd like to know why.

Lol imagine telling your boss you were going to miss work because you broke your hand punching a wall.. these guys arent playing by the same rules we are

« Reply #184 on: July 01, 2018, 10:05:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Lol.  He's very young.

and?

he needed to get his act together 5 years ago

everyone seems like they have been really nice to him so far

its time somebody pulls him aside....and give him a stern lecture and also a warning. The Celtics will drop him without shedding a tear

When he was 16?  Be real.

« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2018, 10:12:05 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Lol.  He's very young.

and?

its time somebody pulls him aside....and give him a stern lecture and also a warning. The Celtics will drop him without shedding a tear

Plenty of 16 year old's handle their responsibilities, and if Williams was one of them he wouldn't be screwing up now.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'd test him for drugs the second he gets to the team and if it's positive I'd tell him to drive up to Maine where he will be remaining with the Red Claws till at least the All Star break. This cycle has to end immediately.

If he doesn't test positive make him carry the bags and fetch everyone water during all summer league.

Quite a leap from being late to a flight to drugs. Let's not assume the worst possible thing here.
Well what is the good reason for missing the flight?  I mean how much are we going to baby this guy and shrug our shoulders? Were you late for work your first day? How about your 2nd day? There need to be immediate clear consequences. Personally I think he was gonna be on the flight but then he got high. Na na na na na na. I'd like to know why.

I'm sure they will handle the situation. I'm just saying that surprising him with a drug test is insulting, aggressive, and rude. It's not leading or developing him. It's attacking him.

I agree there should be firm consequences.
Well if he doesn't like it he can just cry and cry and cry and do some journaling and then go do some yoga. Then he can get to work on time drug free.

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

I'm sure they will handle the situation. I'm just saying that surprising him with a drug test is insulting, aggressive, and rude. It's not leading or developing him. It's attacking him.

I agree there should be firm consequences.
Well if he doesn't like it he can just cry and cry and cry and do some journaling and then go do some yoga. Then he can get to work on time drug free.

What a weird response

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Either we're babying him or he's on drugs. There is no middle ground.
Not really any more. He slipped in the draft because of concerns. But that wasn't enough. He had to blow off his job a couple more times as well.  Time for him to start dealing with consequences. The consequences will go away as soon as he becomes a man.

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
People are going off the deep end over this. He's immature and that is not ideal. It adds to the chances that he won't work out. It does not mean that he is doomed to fail or that the Celts need to treat him like he's on his last chance. He's just starting out. He's not starting out well, let's see how he does on the court since that's all we really care about (provided of course he does not get involved with something reprehensible, but so far there is no sign of that).

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
He'll get it together....not giving up on him.

You'd think this kid eats babies and breathes fire with some of the comments here, lol.

All it takes is a few blocks and some nice alley oops from either Kyrie or GH and we'll be singing his praises once again.

Sports Fandom - rarely rational.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Can you imagine Coach Belichick dealing with this?

« Reply #192 on: July 01, 2018, 10:18:24 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

Lol.  He's very young.

and?

Plenty of 16 year old's handle their responsibilities, and if Williams was one of them he wouldn't be screwing up now.

True, and plenty of 20 somethings do not handle their responsibilities. Some of the responsible 16 year olds end up being screw-ups in their 20s, and some of the 20 something screw-ups get their act together and do great things. Let's give the Celts a chance to work with him and see if he responds. It's far to early to write him off at this point.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

You'd think this kid eats babies and breathes fire with some of the comments here, lol.

All it takes is a few blocks and some nice alley oops from either Kyrie or GH and we'll be singing his praises once again.

Like Big Baby and Sully? 

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Dude, people need to chill. We are talking about the #27 pick in the draft - if he actually makes it as a back-up rotation player, that will be considered a roaring success. If this had happened to Brown or Tatum, perhaps we should be a little more concerned, but as it stands, the guy slid because of possible character concerns (and medical questions).

I am still very happy with the draft choice, but don't expect much out of him his first year or two anyway on such a stacked team.

Seriously, right?