Author Topic: Free Agent Centers  (Read 19808 times)

Re: Free Agent Centers
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2011, 08:38:51 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
McRoberts is young and active.....get him away from his college rival Hansbrough

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2011, 09:24:30 AM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
As 2Short has mentioned earlier in the thread .. what's stopping KG from playing center in some rotations and going after PF's, or just "bigs"?  I wouldn't like to see him defend Dwight Howard for 40 minutes but if Tim Duncan can move to the 5 as he ages why not KG?
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2011, 10:05:16 AM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
As 2Short has mentioned earlier in the thread .. what's stopping KG from playing center in some rotations and going after PF's, or just "bigs"?  I wouldn't like to see him defend Dwight Howard for 40 minutes but if Tim Duncan can move to the 5 as he ages why not KG?

Doc, who seems to prefer BBD guarding the 5 instead of KG, for better or worse.

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2011, 10:28:06 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Doc, who seems to prefer BBD guarding the 5 instead of KG, for better or worse.

When KG and BBD play together, the position is pretty much interchangable based on defensive matchups.

I think we will continue to see KG playing a decent amount of center (or PF with another PF playing "center", if thats how you want to look at it)...but they will still need more depth at center in order to handle guys like Howard.

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
Hey what if (big if) troy murphy returns to his indy days, banging, rebounding and hitting jumps shots?  big if huh

he's the kind of player id like to take another look at(for the min of course)

it was clear last year that he wasnt in basketball shape from not having played all year...and before he got injured again...he did have a couple real good games shooting the ball..I think he had a 12 point game in there

I wouldnt mind running the same plays for him that we did baby...except that he's a much better shooter than BBD

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 11:51:25 AM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
...except that he's a much better shooter than BBD

That's because the basket is always just at the end of his nose! ;D
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 12:03:59 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
McRoberts is young and active.....get him away from his college rival Hansbrough

I like McRoberts as a project, but I think he would be too expensive.  I think he would take close to the full MLE (if there is one) to steal him away, and he is not reliable enough to give that kind of contract. 

Although if anyone can ever convince him a dunk isn't worth more than any other shot, he might be a good player.

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2011, 12:25:36 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
None of these guys are very exciting, but Brown would be my choice.  Looks like we are going to pretty weak at the center position.

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 01:03:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I'd like to see Joey Dorsey added in the summer.

I think he'd be a really effective garbage man power forward (elite rebounder, solid defender) alongside a highly skilled offensive center (like Garnett).

I love the idea of those two, Garnett and Dorsey, together in a quick lineup. I think they'd complement each other very well defensively (in a quick lineup). Joey as the burly physical defensive PF and Garnett with his quickness, length and intelligence. Their ability to play tough physical defense, force low percentage shots, force turnovers, dominate the boards (Dorsey is a terrific rebounder) and create extra possessions would be very useful.

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2011, 01:29:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I'd like to see Joey Dorsey added in the summer.

I think he'd be a really effective garbage man power forward (elite rebounder, solid defender) alongside a highly skilled offensive center (like Garnett).

I love the idea of those two, Garnett and Dorsey, together in a quick lineup. I think they'd complement each other very well defensively (in a quick lineup). Joey as the burly physical defensive PF and Garnett with his quickness, length and intelligence. Their ability to play tough physical defense, force low percentage shots, force turnovers, dominate the boards (Dorsey is a terrific rebounder) and create extra possessions would be very useful.

I am not a big Dorsey fan (I don't think he has any clue how to actually play basketball), but he would still be a decent pick up as a vet minimum, depth guy.  At the very least he will provide them with some beef and an attitude that they were missing at the end of last year.

Another guy I would put in the same group with Dorsey as a vet minimum guy to take a flyer on as the third center is Kyrylo Fesenko (or however you spell it).  He is also a big, physical guy, who can do some things defensively and on the boards, but would really be nothing more than extra beef deep on the bench.

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2011, 01:29:54 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
two words, Robert Swift

I'm only half kidding
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2011, 01:41:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
two words, Robert Swift

I'm only half kidding

I would give him a look for that end of the bench spot too.  If he could get healthy, he could still be an interesting prospect. 

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2011, 01:50:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Trade is another place we should be looking.

BJ Mullens, Kosta Koufos, Nikola Pekovic, Darko Milicic (I know, I know), Marreese Speights, Robin Lopez are all guys we should be looking at to see if anyone is available on the cheap.

I mean really cheap. 

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2011, 02:22:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

BJ Mullens, Kosta Koufos, Nikola Pekovic, Darko Milicic (I know, I know), Marreese Speights, Robin Lopez are all guys we should be looking at to see if anyone is available on the cheap.

I mean really cheap. 

Too much money left on Darko's contract. Three years at $5 million a season. Not sacrificing that 2012 cap space for such a mediocre player.

Robin Lopez would be a good player to target. Probably need a mid first round pick, possibly that Clips pick from the Perk trade, to acquire him.

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2011, 03:05:38 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48

I mean really cheap. 

Leaving finances aside, I like the names on this list, except Speights, who when last seen was still a Dunce.  I especially like Pekovic: I think he's ready to play a ton of minutes at a serviceable level.

I'd also give Artsiom Parakhouski and that Russian kid from last year's summer league team a renewed look.

Next year's Cs team is going nowhere.  I'd rather develop a back-up and 3rd-string Center for the future than add more geezers to the roster.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark