Poll

Suppose Danny Buys #25 in the first rd. Who do you want?

Chase Budinger
10 (17.5%)
Austin Daye
3 (5.3%)
Psycho T
7 (12.3%)
Sam Young
18 (31.6%)
Darren Collison
4 (7%)
Wayne Ellington
8 (14%)
Marcus Thorton
1 (1.8%)
Nick Calathes
2 (3.5%)
Patty Mills
4 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: If we did buy a late 1sr rd draft pick, who would you want? (merged)  (Read 19551 times)

Re: If we did buy a late 1sr rd draft pick, who would you want?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 12:30:18 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Can't say I've paid much attention to the draft prospect talk this year.

I tend to agree with Hobbs, though. I think the team is better served by devoting what few roster spots we have remaining to veterans. Although, if Danny can fetch a pick for Giddens or maybe Pruitt, I'd be for it.

Despite Ainge's calling Erden our first rounder for this year, I think it was really Walker.

I do expect Danny to take a flier on some 2nd round picks, though.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

It's already been decided
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 12:31:20 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
Chase will be a Celtic and he's bringing chicks!

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 12:32:40 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
Dajuan Summers, Tyler Hansbrough, Patrick Patterson, BJ Mullens

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 12:41:02 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Trade it.

I'd rather get FAs who are known commodities with the current buyers market.

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 01:34:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
but our window might be closed this year... so we might as well get some young pups in here to learn from the masters while they are still here. 

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 01:53:15 PM »

Offline shonibates

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 3
Sam Young has a NBA outside game and is freakishly athletic taking the ball to the hole. He also can be a shutdown wing defender learning from Jamie Dixon at Pitt.

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 02:03:23 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
These are the guys who I project will be with us from the get go, 11 players:

Ray Allen
Tony Allen
Glen Davis
Kevin Garnett
J.R. Giddens
Eddie House
Kendrick Perkins
Paul Pierce
Rajon Rondo
Brian Scalabrine
Bill Walker

With that in mind, adding 1 PG and 2 big men should be our priority.

That's 14 players. Do we keep Pruitt? Would he facilitate a trade involving Tony for instance? Or what do we do with that open roster spot?

I don't think the need for a small forward is that dire as people are making it out to be. I think we have enough wing players to make due. But knowing how Doc handles the roster, we might as well be better off with a known commodity in the wing position. But if we do that, we might as well find a way to trade TA, which in turn will open a roster spot, which in turn should give us an extra roster spot available for a rookie if someone worth taking is available.

I haven't watched any NCAA this year, so I have no clue if this draft is any good or if any players are worth taking. But by the looks of it, this is a weak draft, so we might be better off doing nothing.

And then we have the Powe situation. Can we offer him a contract, and get some exception from the league so that he doesn't count against the roster next year? If he does count towards the roster, then what's the correct decision given that he won't play next season at all from what I can understand.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 02:08:08 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
And then we have the Powe situation. Can we offer him a contract, and get some exception from the league so that he doesn't count against the roster next year? If he does count towards the roster, then what's the correct decision given that he won't play next season at all from what I can understand.

I could be wrong, but if he's resigned, he'll count as a roster spot. The league will not grant us any considerations for resigning an injured player.

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 02:11:45 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Maybe we can simply sign him as a coach. How would that work?

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 02:30:17 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

That's an interesting idea. Obviously, he couldn't play while he was under contract as a coach, but it wouldn't prevent him from having contact with the team while he rehabbed.

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 02:37:05 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

That's an interesting idea. Obviously, he couldn't play while he was under contract as a coach, but it wouldn't prevent him from having contact with the team while he rehabbed.

If we were paying him as a coach during his rehab, with the ultimate idea of having him be a player, I'm sure the league would deem that as us circumventing the salary cap.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 04:04:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I like Tyler Hansbrough he brings all the things that Powe and Baby bring but on a rookie contract. If Danny can get him at the end of the 1st or beginning of the second, he should do it.

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2009, 05:06:42 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I like Tyler Hansbrough he brings all the things that Powe and Baby bring but on a rookie contract. If Danny can get him at the end of the 1st or beginning of the second, he should do it.

Agree.  If we bought a late first rounder, Hansborough would be the right choice imo.

We need someone who can replace Powe while he rehabs, and Hans would have the best shot at that.  We have Walker and Giddens as guys to develop slowly.  Hans could help out fairly soon.
We're going to need bigs next year to protect against injury.

Rondo, C.J. Watson
Ray, House, Giddens
Pierce, Udoka, Walker
Garnett, Baby, Hansborough, Powe
Perkins, McDyess, Erden

Would love Grant Hill instead of Udoka if Hill is still able to be a solid defender

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2009, 06:07:32 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Agree.  If we bought a late first rounder, Hansborough would be the right choice imo.

We need someone who can replace Powe while he rehabs, and Hans would have the best shot at that.  We have Walker and Giddens as guys to develop slowly.  Hans could help out fairly soon.

Rondo, C.J. Watson
Ray, House, Giddens
Pierce, Udoka, Walker
Perkins, McDyess, Erden

Would love Grant Hill instead of Udoka if Hill is still able to be a solid defender

I like Hansbrough... I worry about the lack of height on that Celtics team though.  Scratch Erden, as he will probably never play in the NBA, and instead of McDyess, bring in a Center like Rasho or Zaza.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2009, 06:12:55 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Rondo, C.J. Watson
Ray, House, Giddens
Pierce, Udoka, Walker
Perkins, McDyess, Erden

I like Hansbrough... I worry about the lack of height on that Celtics team though.  Scratch Erden, as he will probably never play in the NBA, and instead of McDyess, bring in a Center like Rasho or Zaza.

I like Zaza.  How about sign Zaza and McDyess and sign and trade Big Baby for backup PG and draft pick?