Author Topic: Worst draft prediction about a player you've ever made?  (Read 11038 times)

Re: Worst draft prediction about a player you've ever made?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2019, 10:23:58 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I thought Robert Tractor Taylor was going to be the next NBA superstar and was p---ed he was drafted before us and we got stuck with Paul Pierce. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2019, 10:27:38 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I remember really wanting Royce White and thought Leston Hudson would be an absolute steal in the draft.

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2019, 10:28:01 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
My worst:  Josh Jackson. I watched half his games on Kansas, and thought he'd be the perfect Celtic. Showed great BBIQ in college. I did not like Tatum that much.  Boy did I get that wrong.

Tyrus Thomas was also a guy I thought would become an NBA Legend.  Yeah right.

There are numerous others. It just goes to show you how much of a crap shoot it is drafting guys, and that most of us (me certainly) are no better than any of the GMs who do this for a living.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 11:03:27 AM by footey »

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2019, 10:30:08 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Acie Earl, Gerald Green, Brandan Wright

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2019, 10:34:21 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
My worst:  Josh Jackson. I watched half his games on Kansas, and thought he'd be the perfect Celtic. Showed great BBIQ in college. I did not like Tatum that much.  Boy did I get that wrong.

The other numerous others. It just goes to show you how much of a crap shoot it is drafting guys, and that most of us (me certainly) are no better than any of the GMs who do this for a living.

That's my worst too.  I called him the best player in the draft....at least once. 

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2019, 10:36:48 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
You guys know .. the answer

One of the top shot blockers in college at the time

Athletic. 7'3-7'4 wingspan. Looks of a versatile 4. Held his own against a matchup vs KAT

Game didnt translate at the nba level

Oh man, this made me snort with laughter. TP. To be fair, Mickey is tearing it up overseas  ;D

My worst prediction was, like many, that Bender was the next Porzingis. I had him on an equal tier as Brown tho and did not want Dunn or Hield. First draft I started paying attention to was in 2013, I was super invested in Larkin, Schroder, and Dieng.

Some hits I had: Sabonis, Kuzma, Myles Turner, Smart, Garry Harris.

I liked Bender and Jaylen about equally and I still think that Bender can do something in the NBA. How's that for bad.  liked Tacko and Roby in this years draft and Bonga in last years draft. I root for the Celtics picks for the first year or two no matter who they are. I turned on Rozier pretty quickly, a short time after that one summer league where he looked great. I was rooting for The Dancing Bear to become a player right up until the point The Celtics cut him.

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2019, 10:38:28 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

The other numerous others. It just goes to show you how much of a crap shoot it is drafting guys, and that most of us (me certainly) are no better than any of the GMs who do this for a living.

i thought Fultz was a sure thing and we were going to draft him

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2019, 10:38:32 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

That's my worst too.  I called him the best player in the draft....at least once.

Jackson is way worse that I could ever see him being. I thought he would at least be a big Marcus Smart.

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2019, 10:40:12 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Corey Brewer, Stromile Swift, Brandon Jennings, & Derrick Williams all come to mind.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2019, 10:53:31 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
I thought the Celtics were unbelievably lucky to get Ron Mercer. He turned out to be just another journeyman player.

By far the biggest disappointment was Antoine Walker. I envisioned the same board-crashing player he was in college. As soon as he got here he went into retirement. He was hard to watch, but the Celtics kept paying him.

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2019, 10:55:11 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
The difficulty with this is often the situation greatly affects the outcome of players.  You swap teams with guys and the outcomes might have been different in so many of these busts cases.  And it isn't always just certain organizations, sometimes the bad organizations are great fits for certain players (I mean look what Hield did after getting to Sacto).  That isn't always the case of course, but that is what makes these things so strange.  A guy might have developed into a stud on one team and yet fails out of the league by going somewhere else.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2019, 11:19:14 AM »

Online jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
100% Gerald Green, first year I bought season tickets was after we drafted him. I think he was pegged as the next coming of Kobe or something stupid.

I think that team won like 20 games that season.

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2019, 11:19:57 AM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
I thought Melo would have been a better pick than Lebron

Other players I missed on: Chris Washburn, Michael Beasley, Marquese Chriss, Jahlil Okafor, Ron Mercer

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2019, 11:24:20 AM »

Online jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Bobby Hurley to this day is my favorite college player of all time. I thought he was going to be a stud in the NBA.. I was a kings fan for one season because of him.
Didn't pan out obviously. He did have that horrific accident, but his NBA career was going nowhere even before it.

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2019, 12:02:09 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Somebody has to do this.

Auerbach had the #4 pick in 1970. We all wanted Maravich. As far as I know, Red did too.

#1.Pistons took Bob Lanier out of St. Bonaventure. The Bonnies retired his number, he had a great career in Detroit, 7 time all star.

#2. Rockets, Rudy Tomjanovich out of Michigan. Lead nation in rebounds. Five time NBA all star.

#3. The Hawks, had San Francisco's pick and got Pistol Pete out of LSU.

#4. Celtics took Cowens and I was bummed. Of course, Red had orchestrated a "Cowens isn't that good" campaign before the draft.

8X all star
Two rings
Hall of Fame

What do I know?