Author Topic: Jaylen Brown was offered 4 years $80M  (Read 30849 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown was offered 4 years $80M
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2019, 11:30:40 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
It seems odd to me that the comments have Jaylen rigidly defined within a range based on the last two years. He's still 22 for a few more days, and one of the most athletic guys we've ever had.

This could go a lot of different ways, but it looks to me like the game is starting to slow down for him. Based on the FIBA games and the preseason, it looks like he is improving faster than Tatum is. That may change during the season, but I doubt it.

I think the chances are pretty good that he's a lot closer to a co-#2 option with Tatum this year. I would guess that Ainge considers Tatum and Brown more important than Hayward or Walker or anyone else, and will act accordingly to keep him.

I think we save money by signing him now. We might need to pay the max to keep him if we wait and he goes out and has an impressive season.

« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2019, 12:14:57 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I just think a lot of people here are reading too much into certain things. Like if he doesn't sign that means he's  getting traded "for sure." Or the Celtics "can't" afford another big contract, ect. Either Jaylen will or wont sign the extension, but it wont be because the Celtics can't afford him. And either way doesn't determine whether he'll be on the team a year from now. He could sign today and be traded next offseason. He could hold out till next offseason and spend the rest  of his career with Boston. I know this isnt really a good "take," but we'll just have to wait and see.

« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2019, 05:50:44 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
when people take into account PPG, how often do they account for all the talent on the team, guys who deserve shots and average a lot? For instance, Heild, how many AS players did he have to take a backseat to? Kyrie avg around 25pts, Tatum 16pts, Al around 15pts, Hayward another 14, Smart about 10, and Morris about 15 (numbers probably off but not by much). How did Heild's teammate's shots and points measure up to Brown's teammates? I highly doubt his team had as many mouths to feed. Could JB score 20pts on a less talented team? We don't know atm but I don't doubt it.

I think Brown's offensive game is very similar to that of a young Andre Iguodala - strong, athletic, good size, strong finisher, capable but not standout shooter and not really a natural scorer.

if you look at Iggy's career he had long stretches of time where he was forced to be the #1 guy on some not-overly-strong Philly teams, and yet he only averaged 19 PPG once, and only averaged > 18 PPG 3 times.  Most of his career his ability was more like that of a 14 - 15 PPG guy, and i think you could say more or less the same for Jaylen Brown.

I think on a lottery team or highly defensive oriented team with very few scorers, Brown could peak at around the 19 PPG - 20 PPG mark with forced high usage.

If you are talking about a competitive playoff team with decent scoring depth, then I think he's more like a 16.5 PPG - 17.5 PPG guy.  At least with his current play style anyway - of course players can change, and he could be a dramatically different player 2 or 3 years from now, though I don't expect that to be the case.

It really doesn't matter what we think, we just won't know until he has that chance.

I'll say this though, you're talking about Iggy scoring 19pts but forgetting it was before the offensive explosion era. What was 17-19 then is likely more now. Besides that, you can compare any player to someone else but it never means they are that player, JB may never be a 20pt per game player but your comparison doesn't make it so.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2019, 07:03:23 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Wyc will never agree to any deal with Jaylen that takes him into luxury tax unless he is confident that the team as constructed is championship caliber.

That’s fine and dandy, but the Celtics can give Jaylen the max and still avoid luxury tax next year, so it’s pretty moot.

Yes, assume Hayward renews, and Jayson gets max, the year after will be luxury tax, no?

« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2019, 07:29:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wyc will never agree to any deal with Jaylen that takes him into luxury tax unless he is confident that the team as constructed is championship caliber.

That’s fine and dandy, but the Celtics can give Jaylen the max and still avoid luxury tax next year, so it’s pretty moot.

Yes, assume Hayward renews, and Jayson gets max, the year after will be luxury tax, no?
So three years from now, you might have a luxury tax problem if Brown and Tatum sign max deals and Hayward gets renewed at big bucks.

But if you don't want luxury tax problems in three years the answer is not passing on a 22 year old with star potential now, it to re-evaluate Hayward after two more years here and either paying him significantly less for his 32-35 years old years or let him go. Luxury tax problem solved.

« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2019, 08:09:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

So three years from now, you might have a luxury tax problem if Brown and Tatum sign max deals and Hayward gets renewed at big bucks.

But if you don't want luxury tax problems in three years the answer is not passing on a 22 year old with star potential now, it to re-evaluate Hayward after two more years here and either paying him significantly less for his 32-35 years old years or let him go. Luxury tax problem solved.

Correct.  Or, if Hayward has returned to a level of play that deserves a max or near max contract in his 30s, pay the tax for the title contender you almost assuredly have.

« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2019, 08:52:26 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Good point.

« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2019, 09:27:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I trust DA more than the bloggers here.

« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2019, 09:48:01 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Correct.  Or, if Hayward has returned to a level of play that deserves a max or near max contract in his 30s, pay the tax for the title contender you almost assuredly have.

The luxury tax is not the problem.

Right now the Celts don't have a quality big man.

Celts will never get past the Bucks or Sixers if the Celts don't have a big man to use against the likes of Embiid and Giannis.

Spending lots of money on wing players is just not practical.
That's the main reason why I'm against keeping all 3, Tatum, Hayward, and Brown.

A compromise would be for Brown to agree to a 4-year 100m deal.
Brown is not a max player.
He can be an All-Star, but I just don't see Brown as a player like Kawhi or Jimmy Butler.

If Brown and the Celts can agree to a contract extension, Langford will never get playing time.
So if the Celts and Brown agree to an extension, Langford needs to go.
That will solve the problem of having too many players that play the same position.

« Reply #159 on: October 19, 2019, 08:28:40 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I trust DA more than the bloggers here.
I don't disagree, but unfortunately we don't have DA to ask, thus we blog.

« Reply #160 on: October 19, 2019, 02:17:12 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn
Toronto Raptors forward Pascal Siakam has agreed to a four-year, max contract extension, agents @TRamasar and @choufani_lsme tells Zach Lowe and me.

« Reply #161 on: October 19, 2019, 02:19:52 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Siakam gets the max.

Another potential free-agent in the summer of 2020 now off the board.

This means the talent level of the 2020 free-agent class just got weaker.

So if Jaylen and the Celts can't agree to an extension now, Jaylen will most probably get a max offer in the summer of 2020.

« Reply #162 on: October 19, 2019, 02:29:47 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I cant believe the NBA honestly .... Siakam is NOT a max player. He is good maybe even an Allstar but he is not a max player.

« Reply #163 on: October 19, 2019, 02:32:33 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Jaylen's going to get paid. If Siakam got a max deal, and even Rozier got paid after the awful season he had last year, Jaylen's goin to get max or near max $$$

« Reply #164 on: October 19, 2019, 02:37:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Siakam has a better season than Jaylen last year. This is no surprise.