Author Topic: So maybe Mike Conley?  (Read 2612 times)

So maybe Mike Conley?
« on: May 14, 2019, 09:11:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Seems we have a couple paths.

One is that Kyrie bails, Horford bails, we stumble to 25-40 wins depending on if Tatum makes a leap or not.   Perpetual mediocrity is a lot closer than people realize.   We're lacking in talent and Kyrie could only carry them to 49 wins.

I have to wonder if Memphis landing the #2 pick (seems people like Ja Morant) might make Mike Conley even more available. 

So maybe an option would be doing a sign-and-trade of Kyrie to the Knicks where all we take back is a big 35 mil trade exception and a heavily protected 2nd round pick that never conveys... then we can turn around and trade the trade exception + our three drafted garbage rookies + the Memphis pick for Mike Conley?   

That'd leave you with Conley, Brown, Hayward, Tatum and Horford.   Could that get you 45 wins?

Re: So maybe Mike Conley?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 09:13:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He's pretty old (32 by the time next season starts) and has had quite an injury history. I'd rather not
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 09:15:53 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Seems we have a couple paths.

One is that Kyrie bails, Horford bails, we stumble to 25-40 wins depending on if Tatum makes a leap or not.   Perpetual mediocrity is a lot closer than people realize.   We're lacking in talent and Kyrie could only carry them to 49 wins.

I have to wonder if Memphis landing the #2 pick (seems people like Ja Morant) might make Mike Conley even more available. 

So maybe an option would be doing a sign-and-trade of Kyrie to the Knicks where all we take back is a big 35 mil trade exception and a heavily protected 2nd round pick that never conveys... then we can turn around and trade the trade exception + our three drafted garbage rookies + the Memphis pick for Mike Conley?   

That'd leave you with Conley, Brown, Hayward, Tatum and Horford.   Could that get you 45 wins?

I like your idea of trading for Conley.

But 45 wins is not good enough.

Mediocrity is worse than being a lottery team.

Getting Anthony Davis and replacing Kyrie with Conley is a better idea.

If Kyrie does really want to leave, trade him for Conley then get Anthony Davis.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 09:17:22 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
He's pretty old (32 by the time next season starts) and has had quite an injury history. I'd rather not

It's not a good idea if the Celts don't have Anthony Davis.

But if the Celts get Anthony Davis then Conley makes sense if Kyrie leaves.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 09:18:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah but Horford is 33 and Hayward is physically 47... so they will make a nice also-ran core.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 09:29:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Horford doesn't have to bail in that scenario, however I believe it was looked at and Irving won't make enough to fit Conley in as a trade exception.  Plus you have the simple fact that to get NY to agree to a sign and trade, Boston would have to sweeten the trade by most likely providing NY with something else of value.  Now that might allow for a larger trade exception in the process or perhaps you just make it a 3 team trade, but again NY needs to be incentivized to do that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 09:32:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Conley doesn't make the Celts a contender, and the price tag is just too high unless the Celts can simply exchange Hayward and a couple picks for him.

That doesn't seem likely to me.

I don't know if "props" is the right word, but I do respect LarBrd33's dedication to his brand.  Keep reiterating your inflammatory narrative ("Kyrie could barely carry the team to 49 wins!") over and over in every single post.

You should work in politics, dude.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 10:46:37 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Conley's a nice player, but he's proven injury prone. However, I would trade a bucket of balls for Hayward, and Conley's better than that. But Memphis wouldn't do it. And they might well need Hayward after they gut their team for Davis.

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 10:54:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What makes anyone think that if Kyrie wants out of Boston he is going to help Boston out by doing a sign & trade? What motivates Kyrie to do that when he can simply sign with New York. If he is going to be a Knick long term, why would he want to help out a division rival? And unless Boston is dumping the Knicks a 1st rounder to do it(would never happen), why would New York want to do it?

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 11:03:38 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
What makes anyone think that if Kyrie wants out of Boston he is going to help Boston out by doing a sign & trade? What motivates Kyrie to do that when he can simply sign with New York. If he is going to be a Knick long term, why would he want to help out a division rival? And unless Boston is dumping the Knicks a 1st rounder to do it(would never happen), why would New York want to do it?

Boston can pay him the most money. But I agree it's highly unlikely

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 11:07:08 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
An extra year of max contract could mean something to someone with Kyries injury history. He’s also stated that he may retire early. This could be his last contract.

By the way, this trade is terrible.

I think we should hope Kyrie to picture what a team of himself JB Hayward Horford and AD would look like vs KD and himself. It’s really the best career move for him.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 11:11:50 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Yeah but Horford is 33 and Hayward is physically 47... so they will make a nice also-ran core.

What’s wrong with 47 now?

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 11:14:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

What’s wrong with 47 now?
I hope I can dunk when I'm 47
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 11:29:27 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
So correct me if I'm wrong here hut I believe sign and trade rules now dictate that when a player is sign and traded the biggest possible year over year raise he can get is 5%, which is the same as if he just sign outright, and only for a max of four years. In other words a payer no longer has a financial incentive to push for one. And obviously the knicks have no reason to help out the Celtics. So there's really no reason this would happen.

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 11:35:53 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
So correct me if I'm wrong here hut I believe sign and trade rules now dictate that when a player is sign and traded the biggest possible year over year raise he can get is 5%, which is the same as if he just sign outright, and only for a max of four years. In other words a payer no longer has a financial incentive to push for one. And obviously the knicks have no reason to help out the Celtics. So there's really no reason this would happen.

Yep, 4 years 5%. My post was about signing him with bird rights. I’m hoping he values that extra year.