Author Topic: I really feel bad for Avery Bradley  (Read 2415 times)

I really feel bad for Avery Bradley
« on: February 13, 2018, 10:35:37 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I know we've talked a lot about IT this season and his travails, but I've been thinking a lot about Avery Bradley, as well. He was my favorite player, the heart and soul of the team. He improved every year and simply did his job game in and game out. He was also a great guy off the court and became my favorite after I read this story:

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/02/boston_celtics_avery_bradley_j.html

Like IT, the poor guy is on his third team in under a year and, apparently, could have ended up on a fourth:

https://clutchpoints.com/clippers-news-l-a-sought-1st-round-pick-for-avery-bradley/

I don't want to take anything away from IT. He gave it all for us and, although he's been vocal, I think he has the right to be.

But Avery Bradley has suffered in silence. He's another guy who could have expected a big increase next year but might lose out due to his lack of a big stat line at a single team and volatility in his contract year.

Here's to hoping that some team recognizes the value that AB brings, and my thanks that the 0 on his uniform went to Jayson Tatum, a guy who seems to have many of the same values.

Mike

Re: I really feel bad for Avery Bradley
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:40:55 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Bradley is going to get a nice contract this summer and he'll have plenty of say in terms of where he plays.  His services will be in demand given the way the game is played right now so he'll be fine. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:05:29 PM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 10:53:24 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bradley is going to get a nice contract this summer and he'll have plenty of say in terms of where he plays.  His services will be in demand this so he'll be fine.

Doubt he will get a really nice contract

12 million a year for 3 years is my estimate

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 10:58:32 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Bradley is going to get a nice contract this summer and he'll have plenty of say in terms of where he plays.  His services will be in demand this so he'll be fine.

Doubt he will get a really nice contract

12 million a year for 3 years is my estimate
Yeah, tens of millions a year for multiple years is pretty nice.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:58:59 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Can we get him next year?

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 11:05:58 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I agree AB will find himself a good situation in the off season. I do not think he will get the big pay day he was expecting but I suspect he signs for at or slightly above the 8.5mill MLE with a good team.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:20:38 AM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

I agree AB will find himself a good situation in the off season. I do not think he will get the big pay day he was expecting but I suspect he signs for at or slightly above the 8.5mill MLE with a good team.

Yeah, he is looking that MLE dead in the eye.  Kind of hilarious that just 10 months ago the majority were estimating $ 225 million in new money for the IT4/ AB backcourt at $ 45m or so in year 1 money.  At this point it looks closer to $ 50 and $ 20. 

Actually I take that back.  Forgot the Clippers have Bradley's Bird Rights and will probably get in a bidding war with themselves.     

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 11:26:12 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Bradley will probably get more than IT this summer.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 11:36:34 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's a role player whose defensive impact hasn't lived up to his defensive reputation since 2012.

I like Avery, he worked hard when he was here, but I'm not losing any sleep over him not getting $20 million a year from anybody.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 11:55:47 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Not many teams will have money beyond the exceptions. 5 or 6 teams I believe and most of them are bad so options will be limited.  Maybe he could sign an oversized 1 year deal for Philly.  I could see Dallas making a run at him.

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 12:12:32 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I miss having Bradley on the team but I don't feel bad for him.  He is actually probably better off on the Clippers than the Pistons anyway.  I am sure that being traded, especially mid season is tumultuous but he is being rewarded very handsomely for his troubles and he gets to play basketball every day.  That is the essence of the yin and yang of the NBA.

If I was offered $9M to do my job for a year in LA but the catch is I had to move immediately, I would be gone.  Find a nice apartment for say $50,000 (for the year), rent or buy a car (say I splurge for $50,000), and I am good to go with a net of $8.9M.

I just check an it is interesting that Bradley is actually making close to $9M and Austin Rivers around $12M with a player option for next season at $12.6M.  Wow.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:38:59 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 12:45:24 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I miss having Bradley on the team but I don't feel bad for him.  He is actually probably better off on the Clippers than the Pistons anyway.  I am sure that being traded, especially mid season is tumultuous but he is being rewarded very handsomely for his troubles and he gets to play basketball every day.  That is the essence of the yin and yang of the NBA.

If I was offered $9M to do my job for a year in LA but the catch is I had to move immediately, I would be gone.  Find a nice apartment for say $50,000 (for the year), rent or buy a car (say I splurge for $50,000), and I am good to go with a net of $8.9M.

I just check an it is interesting that Bradley is actually making close to $9M and Austin Rivers around $12M with a player option for next season at $12.6M.  Wow.

Austin "Thanks Dad" Rivers. TD Rivers.

Tp for rest of your post. I'm happy for Bradley.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 01:11:54 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Parker's contract is done. ...you're telling me the Spurs wouldn't give him $30M/3 to play with Kawhi, Aldridge and Pau Gasol? ...he's the kind of player, if I wanted to re-sign Kawhi, give him $10-11M/year and he makes life a lot easier. He's a 3 and D guy at a position of need for the Spurs.

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 01:28:11 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Parker's contract is done. ...you're telling me the Spurs wouldn't give him $30M/3 to play with Kawhi, Aldridge and Pau Gasol? ...he's the kind of player, if I wanted to re-sign Kawhi, give him $10-11M/year and he makes life a lot easier. He's a 3 and D guy at a position of need for the Spurs.

Spurs are over the cap.  They’d need to make some room by moving Danny Green and/or Rudy Gay (neither of whom would be wise to decline their player options).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:56:38 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 05:29:58 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He's a role player whose defensive impact hasn't lived up to his defensive reputation since 2012.

I like Avery, he worked hard when he was here, but I'm not losing any sleep over him not getting $20 million a year from anybody.

Pretty much sums it up for me too. I think if he wants to win, he'll take the MLE from someone like the Spurs or OKC. But he could get $10-12m from a team with cap, maybe he and IT could reunite in Orlando.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman