Author Topic: Bradley Beal signs 2 year 72 million max extension  (Read 4449 times)

Bradley Beal signs 2 year 72 million max extension
« on: October 17, 2019, 08:04:42 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Well Beal is off the market for the next 3 years..includes a player option 2022-23
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: Bradley Beal signs 2 year 72 million max extension
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 08:20:13 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Dummy. Wasting his best years on a terrible team.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 08:23:18 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

too much money is on the table these days

basketball is not that important

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 08:31:53 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He's still only 26, so I think he can get one more big contract after this if his play holds up. Hopefully elsewhere, because I like Beal.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 08:39:05 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

It’s not like he can’t turn ask for a trade later.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 08:40:48 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I would be very surprised if Beal weren’t traded next summer, at his request, to one of a few teams of his choosing.  The deal is structured to offer Beal protection against a trade that he doesn’t choose, while giving him the ability to immediately opt in if he’s traded to a team he does choose.  Beal gets financial security with only a small increased likelihood of staying in Washington.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 08:40:49 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
He's still only 26, so I think he can get one more big contract after this if his play holds up. Hopefully elsewhere, because I like Beal.

If he wants to force his way on to another team he can easily do it.  Sign for the $ with one team then request a trade to another. I think it is a smart move on Beal's part.

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 08:51:07 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

If he wants to force his way on to another team he can easily do it.  Sign for the $ with one team then request a trade to another. I think it is a smart move on Beal's part.
And from the Wizard's standpoint the extension should allow them to get a better return in a trade. 

Hopefully the Wizard's owner doesn't fall in love with Kuzma.  Lebron, AD and Beal on the Lakers would not be good. 

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 09:02:40 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

And from the Wizard's standpoint the extension should allow them to get a better return in a trade. 

Hopefully the Wizard's owner doesn't fall in love with Kuzma.  Lebron, AD and Beal on the Lakers would not be good.
Kuzma would have to show a lot of development if I'm trading Beal for him. Only a two year age gap, and Kuzma isn't a very effective scorer.

Plus, stress fractures are nasty
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 09:03:42 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Kuzma would have to show a lot of development if I'm trading Beal for him. Only a two year age gap, and Kuzma isn't a very effective scorer.

Plus, stress fractures are nasty
I don't see the Wizards trading Beal to the Lakers, they don't have enough assets.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 09:43:32 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

The thing is the Washington has shown no willingness to  trade him, and now that they have added another guaranteed year thats probably even less likely too change.

Its worth noting that with three more years then a player options sets him up to opt out with 10 years experience. He's be able to sign a 5/265ish max contract at that point.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27864309/bradley-beal-wizards-agree-2-year-72m-extension

Woj makes it seem like he's staying.

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 09:56:07 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I would be very surprised if Beal weren’t traded next summer, at his request, to one of a few teams of his choosing.  The deal is structured to offer Beal protection against a trade that he doesn’t choose, while giving him the ability to immediately opt in if he’s traded to a team he does choose.  Beal gets financial security with only a small increased likelihood of staying in Washington.

Thus could set up a nice s&t with Brown if the money could work. C's would have to offer up more. Possible draft picks. But Beal would help alot if Hayward doesn't get back to close to his old self. He's close to Tatum which helps keep him here when he re ups.

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 10:10:24 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

I wouldn't say "very surprise if he weren't" that implies like a 80%+ certainty to me, and given how hard the Wizards have pushed back against trade rumors, and how little we've heard about Beal trying to push his way out it doesn't seem like there's momentum in that direction. Teams that really don't wnat too trade someone don't generally sweat it until theres one year left on their deal. Davis threw an absolute fit with two years left and the NOP just held him anyway and got a massive haul. But it may be a distinct possibility.  Maybe this is a reason to try an get a Brown extension down this summer, so you have a matching to make a Beal deal? We know how complicated salary matching with sign and trades is.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 10:18:10 AM by keevsnick »

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 10:14:32 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Agree. Importantly, it protects him in the event of a catastrophic injury before his current deal expires. Seeing your teammate Wall sustain one makes that a very real possibility.

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 10:17:14 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I wouldn't say "very surprise if he weren't" that implies like a 80%+ certainty to me, and given how hard the Wizards have pushed back against trade rumors, and how little we've heard about Beal trying to push his way out it doesn't seem like there's momentum in that direction. But it may be a distinct possibility.  Maybe this is a reason to try an get a Brown extension down this summer, so you have a matching to make a Beal deal? We know how complicated salary matching with sign and trades is.

I do think the probability is at or above 80%.  I think this deal represents the two sides agreeing to give Beal some added financial security while waiting until next summer for both Beal and the Wizards to evaluate the direction of the franchise — essentially giving John Wall a year to heal.  I don’t think that evaluation will be favorable to the Wizards prospects of contending any time soon, and both sides will try to find a landing place for Beal that is competitive while giving the Wizards good compensation.