Author Topic: LeBron losing lakers fans’ love  (Read 3629 times)

LeBron losing lakers fans’ love
« on: October 15, 2019, 07:30:45 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I know there is another topic on morrey’s tweet but I thought this is an interesting tread and if it concerns the lakers fans it probably concerns the Celtics fans to an extent :
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/10/14/20914964/lakers-news-lebron-james-daryl-morey-china-tweet-misinformed-twitter-response-reaction-educated#comments

I have to admit I gained some respect for most of the commenters on siverscreen and roll.

Re: LeBron losing lakers fans’ love
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 07:52:59 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
why should there be so much angst about what basketball community thinks or does with their business. Many American companies do business in China.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 08:29:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
why should there be so much angst about what basketball community thinks or does with their business. Many American companies do business in China.

I’ve been reading about this story all day because it is really fascinating from a pr perspective (which I am involved in for a health care company). If Lebron had just said the issue was complicated and he didn’t know enough about it a few people would have given him a hard time since he has consistently been so outspoken on social issues. However, Lebron went out of his way to call a very well educated man misinformed and talked about the dangers of freedom of speech. This is one of the biggest pr blunders I can remember someone of Lebron’s Stature making and is deservedly catching heat all over the country and world for his comments.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:37:21 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 08:33:36 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
LeBrons pleading with the league to punish Morrey is not just unacceptable it’s just horrible. It’s very close to ratting on someone.
Maybe morrey was drunk when he tweeted that but all he did was defending the protesters in Hong Kong and their right of free speech and democracy ...
Just think what would happen to Alaskans if somehow AK goes back to the Russian federation after 150 years of American democracy ...
It’s not really that complicated to see the people of Hong Kong view

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 08:35:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Good :)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 08:44:42 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

I’ve been reading about this story all day because it is really fascinating from a pr perspective (which I am involved in for a health care company). If Lebron had just said the issue was complicated and he didn’t know enough about it a few people would have given him a hard time since he has consistently been so outspoken on social issues. However, Lebron went out of his way to call a very well educated man misinformed and talked about the dangers of freedom of speech. This is one of the biggest pr blunders I can remember someone of Lebron’s Stature making and is deservedly catching heat all over the country and world for his comments.

The problem is not LeBron it is those who give him stature beyond the ability to play basketball and make a bunch of money doing it. Why do people go to him for solution of social or political issues?

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 08:46:37 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
LeBrons pleading with the league to punish Morrey is not just unacceptable it’s just horrible. It’s very close to ratting on someone.
Maybe morrey was drunk when he tweeted that but all he did was defending the protesters in Hong Kong and their right of free speech and democracy ...
Just think what would happen to Alaskans if somehow AK goes back to the Russian federation after 150 years of American democracy ...

I repeat this is not LeBron's fault it is the fault of those who elevated his opinion on social issues. Educated on social issues, he    is not.

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 08:47:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

The problem is not LeBron it is those who give him stature beyond the ability to play basketball and make a bunch of money doing it. Why do people go to him for solution of social or political issues?

Because he also runs a television show where they discuss politics and social issue and they recently had a bill about the NCAA signed on it. He has gone out of his way to be a source for discussion on social issues

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 09:15:24 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Because he also runs a television show where they discuss politics and social issue and they recently had a bill about the NCAA signed on it. He has gone out of his way to be a source for discussion on social issues

like I said, not his fault it is the fault of those that give him the platform. It is a statement of our society that we rely on celebrities for almost everything. To pitch products, now we are using them to pitch political and social positions. I guess Eric Dyson was not available to host that political/social show so we had to use a basketball player. Do you know how much time it takes to get up to speed on the intricacies of some social and political issues. LeBron has a full time job as a basketball player. We demean those that study these issues to think that these celebrities that have their full-time gigs can just step in and lead on complex social issues. I know you may need these celebrities to bring attention to some issues, but please do not believe that they can contribute much more to the actual historical context and solutions of these issues. They have their utility but very often it is not much more than bringing attention to the issues.

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 09:18:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I repeat this is not LeBron's fault it is the fault of those who elevated his opinion on social issues. Educated on social issues, he    is not.
I think it's pretty reasonable to be critical of a guy both misusing his platform, and showing a glaring double standard by keeping quiet on a social issue because of financial concerns.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 09:22:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

like I said, not his fault it is the fault of those that give him the platform. It is a statement of our society that we rely on celebrities for almost everything. To pitch products, now we are using them to pitch political and social positions. I guess Eric Dyson was not available to host that political/social show so we had to use a basketball player. Do you know how much time it takes to get up to speed on the intricacies of some social and political issues. LeBron has a full time job as a basketball player. We demean those that study these issues to think that these celebrities that have their full-time gigs can just step in and lead on complex social issues. I know you may need these celebrities to bring attention to some issues, but please do not believe that they can contribute much more to the actual historical context and solutions of these issues. They have their utility but very often it is not much more than bringing attention to the issues.

I agree with you that Lebron should not really speak on all the things he has, but I was more trying to answer why he is being asked the questions literally.

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 09:40:47 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
Mostly Lebron said what we all knew, that he has financial interests and Morey said something that harmed those interests without thinking about how that would personally affect Lebron. The End.

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 09:41:55 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

I agree with you that Lebron should not really speak on all the things he has, but I was more trying to answer why he is being asked the questions literally.

It is a shame that we are so driven by celebrity that we tend to equate their opinions increased weight such that a Kim Kardashian gains audience with the POTUS on a serious criminal justice issue. At least she has seen fit enough to seek a law degree to further her foray into social justice advocacy.

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 10:43:38 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
I hate LeBron as a player, I hate LeBron as a Laker, and I just hate LeBron in general.

His comment regarding China/HK politics makes me hate LeBron even more. He should just support oppression.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 10:46:29 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
He should go back to Cleveland so that bantering blowhard  old fool they keep for an announcer can stroke LeWhines ego .....they miss each other .