Author Topic: Is a Horford trade possible?  (Read 4240 times)

Re: Is a Horford trade possible?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 01:42:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Not over Al's dead body .

He seems like a lifer in Boston . 

He is a good spokes person for the players and players that maybe intrested in Boston .   He has a trusting face ....un like LeBum

Al is type of player that would make an outsider feel comfortable,   i think i would work really hard to keep him as good karma .

AL is good for Boston .

It's my fervent hope that both Smart and Horford spend the rest of their careers in Boston.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 01:43:03 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

He is a good spokes person for the players and players that maybe intrested in Boston .   He has a trusting face ....un like LeBum

Al is type of player that would make an outsider feel comfortable,   i think i would work really hard to keep him as good karma .

AL is good for Boston .

Not to mention, Al chose Boston as a free agent. Celtics sticking with Al would help their image around the league with other free agents.

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 01:43:58 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

AL is good for Boston .

It's my fervent hope that both Smart and Horford spend the rest of their careers in Boston.

Same, although....I do feel Smart COULD be a valuable trade chip, if Ainge decides to go in that direction.

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 01:44:26 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
To make the $$ work on an AD trade they'll almost certainly have to trade one of Horford, Smart, and Hayward.

I truly hope they can somehow finagle it so that they don't have to include one of those guys.

Smart and Horford are the heart and soul of the team and Hayward could be a perfect complement to Kyrie and AD.

Horford would play a redundant position with Anthony Davis. I think we know who the odd-man out is.

I disagree with that.  AD doesn't like to play center, and one of his biggest weaknesses is that he hasn't demonstrated a great ability to create good shots for his teammates.

I think Horford and AD could work really well together.

Yeah. I get the OP's point that if we had Davis our need for Horford would be less. But I still see Horford as a really strong plus - and potentially very complementary to Davis.

The passing was already mentioned, but then consider the spacing he adds and the ability of both bigs to attack on three levels. Look what Horford did to Embiid the other night, what he does to Lopez - dragging them outside where they are lost in space. Now consider what happens if we add Davis to the mix. What team has the personnel that can hope to guard that front court? Put a big on them and our wings walk to the rim. Guard Horford or Davis with power forward Tobias Harris? They'll need to double every time the ball goes to the low post - assuming Davis or Horford hasn't already scored.

And on the other end they will have a hard time playing Al or AD off the court by going at them with a pick and roll. We'd also add an elite rim protector if we can have Davis guard someone who plays near the rim. I'm not sure how long Al's speed will last (a 4-year deal makes me nervous) but the potential of that pairing over the next few years is really enticing.

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 03:11:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Could not Davis and Al play a two man bigs game like Boogie did sometimes with AD ?  Als a good passer to fake and set up Davis , seems that woould be hard to defend

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 03:23:41 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I guess it is complicated with his player option but sure, if a good offer was made, we should trade him.  I don't see any problem though with him playing with Davis if it were to come to that.  In fact, I think that would be an awesome front court.  Two versatile, talented bigs?  What is not to like about that?

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 03:27:14 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Could not Davis and Al play a two man bigs game like Boogie did sometimes with AD ?  Als a good passer to fake and set up Davis , seems that woould be hard to defend

Horford isn't a better player than Cousins, but he's a far better fit. So yes.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 03:31:35 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Sure, it's possible. Likely? No.

Only way it'd work is if we bring in a 3rd team that's in the playoff mix to reroute him to so he'd agree to opt in. Otherwise, I don't see him wanting to go to a rebuilding project in NOLA at this point in his career - even for $30m.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2019, 03:34:49 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Teams can't stand our defense with just Al as is, put AD out there with him and they just might quit! :)

All the things Al does out there, man this guy just can't get his credit! He is a beast on both ends but he isn't flashy and doesn't look to score much. JT and JB get way too much credit for our playoff run last season but we were kicking Cavs ass until they unleashed TT. With Al contained, we got handled. Go from destroying to hanging by a thread without Al's dominance. Al still played well but it was not like the rest of the playoffs, certainly not the same as g1-2. Some defenders just have a guy's number. AB used to put the clamps on Curry and KI (did on Wall in that last playoffs, don't let numbers fool u). Doesn't mean that they weren't great players.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 06:47:11 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
I used to be on the Big Al is redundant with AD on the team train but I don’t feel so anymore. Those two could easily coexist together because they both space the floor on offense and switch on defense. Neither guy is a slow footed and can actually handle for the ball.

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 06:54:00 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Celts don't need to trade Horford anymore.

By trading Jabai Bird, Celts have opened up a roster spot to sign a player for the MLE.
Celts can include that player in a package for AD.

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2019, 07:36:56 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Horford is staying! He's so underrated it's not even funny!

Exactly!  Playoff Horford is capable of being MVP of a series...
Folks need to stop worrying about his regular season game by game.
I want him healthy for the playoffs.  That’s all I need from him.

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 09:10:03 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
As non-exciting as Horford is, he’s a great stabilizing force who makes everyone around him better. Hopefully we don’t trade Horford.
- LilRip