Poll

Given what each would cost, and their respective ages/contracts, who would you want?

Andre Drummond
8 (8.3%)
Myles Turner
20 (20.8%)
Clint Capela
4 (4.2%)
Marc Gasol
4 (4.2%)
Hassan Whiteside
1 (1%)
Jusuf Nurkic
6 (6.3%)
Cody Zeller
4 (4.2%)
Derrick Favors
6 (6.3%)
Steven Adams
11 (11.5%)
A Young Guy
0 (0%)
Dwayne Dedmon
5 (5.2%)
Ehhh, none  are worth what it would cost
27 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Big Man Options  (Read 70924 times)

Re: Big Man Options
« Reply #240 on: November 15, 2019, 04:03:11 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
We have a big man.

His name is Robert Williams, and I'm very content that he can become something special.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #241 on: November 15, 2019, 04:09:46 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
As others have pointed out Brynt is an offensive center, and I think this teem really needs somebody who can be low usage offensively while providing D and slowing down Embiid/Giannis. Allen also doesn't make sense given that Embiid tends to each his lunch, as others have pointed out. i also dont think the Nets will trad him.

The best bet may be RWIII, although I dont think he has the strength or heft to slow down Embiid/Giannis, but its hard to find someone available who does.

« Reply #242 on: November 15, 2019, 04:49:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
We have a big man.

His name is Robert Williams, and I'm very content that he can become something special.

As others have pointed out Brynt is an offensive center, and I think this teem really needs somebody who can be low usage offensively while providing D and slowing down Embiid/Giannis. Allen also doesn't make sense given that Embiid tends to each his lunch, as others have pointed out. i also dont think the Nets will trad him.

The best bet may be RWIII, although I dont think he has the strength or heft to slow down Embiid/Giannis, but its hard to find someone available who does.

I agree with you two gentlemen. Our center is on the roster and his name is Robert Williams.

Now, I don't think he should be starting but I think he's earned 13-17 MPG in a reserve role this year. Let him learn, grow, get smarter, get better. Then have him put on some more muscle next summer, especially knee to core areas, getting stronger and more powerful, in his lower and mid body as well as his upper body.

Then, if he earns it and takes another big step forward, he should be the team's starting center from the start of next season to all points forward.

Gotta say, I was wrong. I thought he would need a bunch of time in Maine to develop and learn because he really didn't develop much since his freshman year at A&M, which was two plus years ago. Thought maybe he would be a slow developer.

I was dead wrong. He really improved over this last year and I think he has earned a good 6-8 minutes in each half.

« Reply #243 on: November 15, 2019, 06:45:52 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Richaun Holmes is someone I think is attainable after the December 14 and on a reasonably priced deal comparable to Theis and given how poorly the Kings are going could be available when they are out of playoff contention.

« Reply #244 on: November 15, 2019, 07:42:49 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Richaun Holmes is someone I think is attainable after the December 14 and on a reasonably priced deal comparable to Theis and given how poorly the Kings are going could be available when they are out of playoff contention.

A better idea than many, but I would not expect the Celtics to trade for anyone with guaranteed money next season.

« Reply #245 on: December 03, 2019, 05:44:14 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Not sure whether someone has already mentioned him, but any love for Mitchell Robinson?

In a vacuum, would you guys rather have Mitchell Robinson or Timelord?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:05:31 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #246 on: December 03, 2019, 05:54:29 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Not sure whether someone has already mentioned him, but any love for Mitchell Robinson?

Would you guys rather have Mitchell Robinson or Timelord?

Timelord.

Mitchell Robinson seems like he has an attitude problem, is immature, and doesn't seem like he cares about his overall team's chemistry. Robert Williams has about the same per 36 that Robinson does with Robinson having slightly better numbers offensively/blocks wise, but has a better AST %, and better at SPG.

I also think TimeLord seems like the type of guy who could seamlessly fit into any team, and do whatever is required for him.

Robinson also fouls out. A lot. He also is unable to set good screens which is a problem for a big man that rolls to the paint for lobs.

It’s an issue that plagued Robinson last season and has only gotten worse. He fouled out in three of his last four games heading into Monday’s contest in Milwaukee, managing just 20 minutes Sunday before collecting his sixth foul in a loss to the Celtics.

Robinson spent much of preseason talking about being more disciplined, about keeping his hands high. It hasn’t happened.

Robinson was averaging 6.6 fouls per 36 minutes before Monday, which was sixth in the NBA behind a bunch of no-names and Dwight Howard. Robinson lost his starting center spot after succumbing to a concussion in Game No. 8 and never recovered it.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #247 on: December 03, 2019, 06:13:11 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Would you guys rather have Mitchell Robinson or Timelord?

Timelord.

Mitchell Robinson seems like he has an attitude problem, is immature, and doesn't seem like he cares about his overall team's chemistry. Robert Williams has about the same per 36 that Robinson does, but has a better AST %, and better at SPG.

I also think TimeLord seems like the type of guy who could seamlessly fit into any team, and do whatever is required for him.

Robinson also fouls out. A lot. He also is unable to set good screens which is a problem for a big man that rolls to the paint for lobs.

It’s an issue that plagued Robinson last season and has only gotten worse. He fouled out in three of his last four games heading into Monday’s contest in Milwaukee, managing just 20 minutes Sunday before collecting his sixth foul in a loss to the Celtics.

Robinson spent much of preseason talking about being more disciplined, about keeping his hands high. It hasn’t happened.

Robinson was averaging 6.6 fouls per 36 minutes before Monday, which was sixth in the NBA behind a bunch of no-names and Dwight Howard. Robinson lost his starting center spot after succumbing to a concussion in Game No. 8 and never recovered it.
Wasn't this the case with Timelord as well? I remember him not even showing up for practice in his early days in Boston.

At the end of the day, it's the Knicks we are talking about here. I bet Timelord would have faced similar attitude problems if he were playing for the Knicks.

Haven't seen enough of Robinson to be honest. I just realised he's 8th in the league in blocks per game while averaging 6.6 rebounds in just 20.5 minutes per game and I got intrigued. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. TP!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:43:29 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #248 on: December 03, 2019, 06:34:28 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I agree that the Celtic big man for the future is Rob Williams.

But the Celts need a big man for the now.

Right now the Celts have a shot a making the finals.
Celts just need a big man who can match-up with the other bigs in the eastern conference.

« Reply #249 on: December 03, 2019, 06:49:27 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Will the Spurs give us Poeltl?

I think Poeltl will be a good fit.

« Reply #250 on: December 03, 2019, 06:54:59 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Celts just need a big man who can match-up with the other bigs in the eastern conference.
Agreed. It seams that we might be ready to contend this season. We need a defensive big man to slow down Giannis-BroLo/Horford-Embiid in the playoffs. 2 names stand out in my mind:

Myles Turner via trade (assuming he's gonna become available cause the Pacers already have Sabonis and Bitadze at the Center position)
Tristan Thompson via the buyout market

« Reply #251 on: December 03, 2019, 06:59:00 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Agreed. It seams that we might be ready to contend this season. We need a defensive big man to slow down Giannis-BroLo/Horford-Embiid in the playoffs. 2 names come to my mind:

Myles Turner via trade (assuming he's gonna become available cause the Pacers already have Sabonis and Bitadze at the Center position)
Tristan Thompson via the buy out market

A lot of teams will be after Tristan if he's bought out.
It's going to be a bidding war.

And with an expiring contract, I think a lot of teams will be interested in trading for Tristan, so there's no need to buy him out.

Myles Turner, if traded, would not go to the eastern conference.
I read an article that said if the Pacers were to trade Turner, it would not be to an east team.

« Reply #252 on: December 03, 2019, 07:00:50 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
It's not only the Sixers and the Bucks, what if the Celts end up the #2 seed and the Nets the #7 seed.

Jarrett Allen and DeAndre Jordan will be a problem for the Celts.

« Reply #253 on: December 03, 2019, 07:03:04 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Rob Williams is not the future..just 15 minute guy..Tristen would go to Lakers or Clips
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #254 on: December 03, 2019, 07:06:11 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Agreed. It seams that we might be ready to contend this season. We need a defensive big man to slow down Giannis-BroLo/Horford-Embiid in the playoffs. 2 names come to my mind:

Tristan Thompson via the buy out market

A lot of teams will be after Tristan if he's bought out.
It's going to be a bidding war.

And with an expiring contract, I think a lot of teams will be interested in trading for Tristan, so there's no need to buy him out.

Myles Turner, if traded, would not go to the eastern conference.
I read an article that said if the Pacers were to trade Turner, it would not be to an east team.
''I read an article that said if the Pacers Cavs were to trade Turner Kyrie, it would not be to an east team''. :P

Thompson is earning $18,539,130 this season. It's possible that the Cavs won't find a playoff team willing to match his salary.

Anyway, I guess time will tell.