Author Topic: Worst bench in the NBA?  (Read 6249 times)

Re: Worst bench in the NBA?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2021, 03:49:51 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
TP to PhoSita for your reaction. Good explanation.
I was afraid someone hacked your account  ;)

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2021, 09:08:32 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Horrid bench. It’s the primary reason why we’re below .500 and staring at the lottery. Every team needs a bench with at least 3-4 rotational guys who can ball at least from time to time. We do not even have that anymore...

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2021, 10:23:39 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Bump this bad boy for some fresh takes...

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2021, 10:29:02 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
This was a better rotation tonight. GWilliams was a DNP as were the other G-leaguers. Timelord and Pritchard need to continue to get more minutes.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2021, 10:37:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Jeff Teague was tremendous tonight. His best game of the season.

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2021, 10:42:01 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

And it would be really, really great if Teague could be reliable enough to play spot minutes going forward + in the playoffs. He’s been awful this season but if he can right the ship and provide some depth minutes at the PG that would be huge.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2021, 10:58:27 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
My bad. C’s did have one of the G-Leaguers in there tonight. Green played 3 mins and was a -3. Pritchard was a +13, highest on the team.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2021, 11:03:00 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

And it would be really, really great if Teague could be reliable enough to play spot minutes going forward + in the playoffs. He’s been awful this season but if he can right the ship and provide some depth minutes at the PG that would be huge.

Teague had 14pts, 5ast, 5reb, 1 turnover, shot 4-9
From the field and 6-6 from the line against the Hawks a few days ago. Two decent games in a row.

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2021, 11:05:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
My bad. C’s did have one of the G-Leaguers in there tonight. Green played 3 mins and was a -3. Pritchard was a +13, highest on the team.

Green -4 in 3minutes.

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2021, 11:30:25 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Green -4 in 3minutes.

Even better.

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2021, 11:57:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

Green -4 in 3minutes.

Even better.

Right.

I know it's only a couple of minutes but Nesmith has far out played Green in every way.

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2021, 02:32:36 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
The bench will be better. 

Smart and Romeo will immediately improve the rotation. Also may improve with trades.  And Nesmith and Rob seem more impactful by the game.

Teague is a wildcard - I’m afraid I see the last couple of games as fools gold unless CBS comes out and provides some logical explanation for Teagues consistently poor play over the first 30 games. Guy’s with NBA skill/talent can have a couple of solid games - and then will return to their baseline.   He showed it in preseason - it’s sustaining it that was (and likely is) the problem.

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2021, 07:55:49 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
Ainge has had two choices in building the bench for this team the past few years. cashing in on his "assets" for proven veterans or hoarding his picks and making them.

Ainge took the draft Route. In a perfect world, a couple of these guys hit and you have young talent that can grow with your young stars on the bench. But what we are seeing is that these guys arent ready, and with Kemba still 50-50 and smart out, Tatum/Brown have to carry more of the load which they arent ready for.

Most teams have a guy on the bench who can go off when their stars are struggling. the celtics so far do not.

So, what you have is alot of young guys who dont know how to win yet and are learning (prichard, nesmith), guys who are just JAGS (semi, Grant williams) and guys who have potential to contribute but havent hit the court yet (romeo langford).

I hope Ainge can use the TPE to bring in an impact guy like harrison barnes, and maybe sign some of the buy-out veterans. You NEED cheap veteran guys sometimes to win in this league instead of relying on all young guys.

unfortunately the veteran ainge hitched his ride to in Teague has been a flop so far. Thompson i think has been okay.

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2021, 07:59:59 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

Green -4 in 3minutes.

Even better.

Right.

I know it's only a couple of minutes but Nesmith has far out played Green in every way.

Nesmith hasn't "far outplayed" a single human being since he was in college... or high school? He looks blindfolded 90% of the time. He has the confidence of a mole. Couple nights ago he let out a primal scream after he threw up a hail mary 'and 1' like it saved his career or something. Act like you been there, young man.

The best ability is availability -- unless your Nesmith. Go home until you're not awful.

Meanwhile, Javonte is hardly this team's problem. He actually makes a good number of hustle plays night in and out.... offensive boards or tap backs, saves, steals, filling passing lanes, doesn't foul too often, touch passes on the break, can make a corner three or energize with a dunk. Don't all show up in the box score, but tangible plays -- even if they're little things. I can't remember one example of Semi Two Shoes doing something of the sort. Dude is robotic.

I actually wish Green would be more selfish occasionally and go to the hole... at least we'd get a poster dunk or two out of it instead of another brick from someone else who shouldn't play as much as they do. Something -- ya know -- fun to watch!

Green should play less minutes than he does. Presumably that trend will continue when Smart and Langford return, each of whose minutes will directly reduce his. But Nesmith is nowhere near ready for NBA minutes. That he's playing more is the ultimate indication of very weak NBA bench, or that the Cs are quite nervous his confidence is developing into a problem.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 08:09:45 AM by todd_days_41 »

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2021, 09:51:47 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Green -4 in 3minutes.

Even better.

Right.

Nesmith hasn't "far outplayed" a single human being since he was in college... or high school? He looks blindfolded 90% of the time. He has the confidence of a mole. Couple nights ago he let out a primal scream after he threw up a hail mary 'and 1' like it saved his career or something. Act like you been there, young man.

The best ability is availability -- unless your Nesmith. Go home until you're not awful.

Meanwhile, Javonte is hardly this team's problem. He actually makes a good number of hustle plays night in and out.... offensive boards or tap backs, saves, steals, filling passing lanes, doesn't foul too often, touch passes on the break, can make a corner three or energize with a dunk. Don't all show up in the box score, but tangible plays -- even if they're little things. I can't remember one example of Semi Two Shoes doing something of the sort. Dude is robotic.

I actually wish Green would be more selfish occasionally and go to the hole... at least we'd get a poster dunk or two out of it instead of another brick from someone else who shouldn't play as much as they do. Something -- ya know -- fun to watch!

Green should play less minutes than he does. Presumably that trend will continue when Smart and Langford return, each of whose minutes will directly reduce his. But Nesmith is nowhere near ready for NBA minutes. That he's playing more is the ultimate indication of very weak NBA bench, or that the Cs are quite nervous his confidence is developing into a problem.

Nesmith has been a +4, +5 and a +7 the last 3 game. He is doing exactly what the C’s need him to do, play solid D and hit a 3 when open. He’s shooting 42% from 3pt over the last 10 games and 35.4% on the season. Green is a decent defender, but he is only 6’3” and is a career 29% 3pt shooter. Nesmith should absolutely be playing over Green.