Author Topic: Official: Tatum is the best Celtics rookie in 40 years.  (Read 2175 times)

Re: Official: Tatum is the best Celtics rookie in 40 years.
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 07:56:53 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
40 years would include Bird so definitely not. 

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 08:15:45 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
the question is if tatum was on a team like pierce was on would he be having the same, better or worse type season?

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 08:26:15 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Pierce was better.

As a rookie? No way, not even close.

I love Pierce, one of my all-time favorite players, I saw his entire career. But as a young player in the NBA he was immature and had several holes in his game, and played for a horrible team and poor coaches with teammates with poor attitudes, which contributed to a lot of bad habits that he didn't break until Doc took over.

I think the "Pierce was better" comment is in jest.

Tatum's rookie season>Pierce's rookie season

I don't even care about the stats. I watched both seasons and was excited to have both players. The main difference is that Tatum is on a better team, and thus has had a bigger impact on winning.

I don't care about all of the over-analysis by the blog boys and their advanced stats. Winning>Not winning, at least most of the time.

Overall, it’s Tatum due to the playoffs.

Regular season is tougher. Both were very poised.  Pierce was more consistently aggressive. Overall, both were great, playing in completely different contexts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 11:21:46 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
40 years would include Bird so definitely not.

Bird was pretty much 40 years ago. It's essentially, "Tatum best since Bird, right?"

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 11:51:15 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Pierce was probably a little better in some regards, but he played on a lesser team without a go to guy like Kyrie, which Jayson had much of the year. JT's #s were a lower because he spent a good deal of the season standing on the 3pt line while Kyrie ran the offense with Horford.

But if you handicap it because PP was 1.5 years older as a rookie and had 3 years of college ball under his belt, then Tatum's was more impressive. Exciting that we can have this conversation with a rookie compared to a lock HOFer who was one of the best players of his generation.

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 12:32:59 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Even PP said Tatum's a better rookie than he was.
I moved the cheese.