Author Topic: Kyrie called Lebron...  (Read 3866 times)

Re: Kyrie called Lebron...
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 10:03:41 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
This is real growth from Kyrie.  With the losses piling up and a lot of us fans wondering if Kyrie would jump ship this is some reassurance he's here for the long run.  He is the face of this team no matter who is one it and he knows that.  It's his team.  While I agreed with some of his statements there are ways to handle it.  This team gets down too easy.  Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Rozier miss shots and their heads are down, miss defensive assignments etc.  They get in these modes where they move the ball and are unbeatable.  Then get get into modes where it's a bunch of 5 year olds on the playground saying it's my turn to shoot and the go Iso and miss a bunch of shots and get their asses kicked.  That's the experience side.  Kyrie was right but he didn't lead the right way.  I'm glad he's learning too.  Reading this made me feel better because if he wasn't staying he wouldn't care so much.

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 10:13:48 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
This is real growth from Kyrie.  With the losses piling up and a lot of us fans wondering if Kyrie would jump ship this is some reassurance he's here for the long run.  He is the face of this team no matter who is one it and he knows that.  It's his team.  While I agreed with some of his statements there are ways to handle it.  This team gets down too easy.  Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Rozier miss shots and their heads are down, miss defensive assignments etc.  They get in these modes where they move the ball and are unbeatable.  Then get get into modes where it's a bunch of 5 year olds on the playground saying it's my turn to shoot and the go Iso and miss a bunch of shots and get their asses kicked.  That's the experience side.  Kyrie was right but he didn't lead the right way.  I'm glad he's learning too.  Reading this made me feel better because if he wasn't staying he wouldn't care so much.

Not saying I disagree, but I was never really worried about Kyrie's commitment to staying in Boston.  His comments throughout the season have showed how much he cares.  The only difference is that he finally made a public mistake that required a real apology to his teammates.  It's a learning process for sure.

Too many people on this forum assume(d) that Kyrie's flaws will remain permanent.  The same can be said regarding the immaturity of the young players.  I've always maintained the belief that this is a group of competitive players with high character.  The adversity they are facing is just part of their growth.

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 10:22:32 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I appreciate that Kyrie asked for help, even from such an unlikely source in LeBron. I just think that Kyrie should have kept that private, and needs to stop referring to some of his teammates as the young guys, especially since Kyrie is only 26 himself. LeBron is obviously, one of the greatest players of all time, but I hate when he publicly says how he is helping his teammates. Just keep it private and don’t (in a way) publicly humiliate them, while propping yourself up at the same time. This seems to be one of the (toned down) traits that Kyrie picked up from LeBron.

I would like to see Kyrie talk to ex-Celtics players like Russell, Cousy, Heinsohn, Bird, and Garnett about leadership. After all, there are different forms of leadership that can be adopted, especially for certain personality types. Kyrie seems to be a more private/reserved person compared to LeBron. So I would imagine guys like Russell and Cousy would provide better/more relatable advice that is more geared towards Kyrie’s personality. Or what about a guy like Tim Duncan?

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 10:29:05 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I appreciate that Kyrie asked for help, even from such an unlikely source in LeBron. I just think that Kyrie should have kept that private, and needs to stop referring to some of his teammates as the young guys, especially since Kyrie is only 26 himself. LeBron is obviously, one of the greatest players of all time, but I hate when he publicly says how he is helping his teammates. Just keep it private and don’t (in a way) publicly humiliate them, while propping yourself up at the same time. This seems to be one of the (toned down) traits that Kyrie picked up from LeBron.

I would like to see Kyrie talk to ex-Celtics players like Russell, Cousy, Heinsohn, Bird, and Garnett about leadership. After all, there are different forms of leadership that can be adopted, especially for certain personality types. Kyrie seems to be a more private/reserved person compared to LeBron. So I would imagine guys like Russell and Cousy would provide better/more relatable advice that is more geared towards Kyrie’s personality. Or what about a guy like Tim Duncan?

TP! Great points all around.  To his credit, Kyrie has already put more effort into adapting his game than LeBron ever did.  He has shown a willingness to play within a system and has significantly improved his effort on the defensive end.  A different style of leadership might be better within the culture that Stevens is trying to create. 

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 12:01:21 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
this dude is such an incredible ego maniac.  just shut up.

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 12:05:06 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
@BillSimmons

Agree with @tomecurran — Kyrie’s latest story about calling LeBron was a fancy way of saying publicly that he’s playing with some young, immature Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.s who reminded him of his former self. Whether it was intentional or inadvertent — I dunno. But he should really stop talking.

@BillSimmons

The best 2000s superstar leaders were Duncan, Dirk and Nash. All of them avoided discussing locker room issues publicly. I think Curry handles stuff well too. None of them would have beaten this “These young guys are ridiculous, they don’t know how to win” card into the ground.

@BillSimmons

Also — it’s OK not to talk after a game, or say anything interesting. It really is. It’s a long season. You can go 6 weeks being a press conference robot and giving generic quotes. It’s fine.

Bill Simmons on this topic. i agree with the bold text

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2019, 12:11:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Bill has really been hating on kyrie lately.  As of yesterday he suggested trading him for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.  What is up with this.

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 12:20:50 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Bill has really been hating on kyrie lately.  As of yesterday he suggested trading him for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. What is up with this.

I heard that. Zach Lowe seemed confused by the suggestion and wouldn't even respond to it. Simmons is all over the map with Kyrie.

I do agree that Kyrie should stop talking to the media so much. I think he's trying to shape the narrative but but that's going to depend on what happens on the court. Simmons' suggestions of Duncan, Dirk, and Nash are good guys for Kyrie to look to.

I am hopeful that Kyrie realizing he was kind of becoming the kind of "leader" he hated helps his approach going forward.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 12:23:13 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Bill has really been hating on kyrie lately.  As of yesterday he suggested trading him for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. What is up with this.

I heard that. Zach Lowe seemed confused by the suggestion and wouldn't even respond to it. Simmons is all over the map with Kyrie.

I do agree that Kyrie should stop talking to the media so much. I think he's trying to shape the narrative but but that's going to depend on what happens on the court. Simmons' suggestions of Duncan, Dirk, and Nash are good guys for Kyrie to look to.

I am hopeful that Kyrie realizing he was kind of becoming the kind of "leader" he hated helps his approach going forward.

Bill is all over the map about everyone. He went from not even entertaining trading Jaylen for a high pick to nab Luka, to wanting to trade Jaylen to Atlanta for their mid-1st rounder.

Grain of salt.

But someone made a good point on Twitter - you can't ask athletes to be candid and then get mad when they do so.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2019, 12:32:18 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don’t think being a leader is as much of a science as some people including Kyrie are making it out to be.  Play hard, play unselfishly, compete on defense, and don’t throw teammates under the bus.  He’s by far our most talented player so doing those things alone should be enough.  If his teammates see those things and sense that he values the team above individual accomplishments they will follow his example.  That’s it.  No PhD in leadership development needed.  His personality isn’t going to change into a KG, Bird, Kobe, or even Marcus Smart style.  He just needs to be himself and make sure he does things the right way.

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2019, 12:38:38 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
So judging from this thread, Kyrie needs to go or not? Without him last night, Celtics get blown out at home to the Raptors.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2019, 12:46:26 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Cousy and Russell (and to some extent Bird) are from completely different eras. Players now are more sensitive and social media - like it or not - just amplifies every little thing. I do think Russell can advise Kyrie on what it's like to play for a fanbase/city that can and will throw a ton of vitriol at him, though.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 01:00:08 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2019, 12:56:48 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Leadership is hard. 

I was an infantry and MP platoon leader in the Army and it was by far the hardest thing I ever did in my life and I was in the Guard and Reserves .  You never get to be "off." That being said everyone is human and makes mistakes, especially in stressful situations. Professional athletes are celebrities and their mistakes are broadcast to the world. Most of us get to make our leadership mistakes in private and not on live TV and they don't get amplified in social media. Kyrie owned the mistake the key is to learn from it and not make the same mistake again.

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2019, 01:11:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bill has really been hating on kyrie lately.  As of yesterday he suggested trading him for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.  What is up with this.

Because Bill doesn't like Kyrie .... spotlight yearning tendencies

Win or lose he wants Irving to be even keel 

Basically along the line of......   

"We lost yesterday, we are on a losing streak.... we have work to do and win the next one"

"We had a nice game today ...  I give credit to my teammates.  But we still have ways to go"

VS

"Experience experience"

"I called Lebron ... etc. etc."

Like a life journal through the media

Bill doesn't like it

I personally don't care.  He is not a robot.   As long as he doesn't throw the team under the bus.   What he said last night ...  I think is a positive direction to him becoming a better leader

Some of the media turning that negative somehow , that it was a message for the young guys to now listen to him....is false

I don't think he has capability to be manipulative like that

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2019, 01:17:16 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Simmons was always a foolish basketball analyst.  Great businessman, entertainer and pop culture writer but man does he have a terrible basketball / asset management mind. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07