Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 394005 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #1485 on: January 18, 2020, 07:39:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Last season Ainge said he made a mistake by not doing anything at the trade deadline even if the team was clearly in need of changes.

I don't think Ainge will repeat the mistake of last season.

Celtics losing games in January is a good thing because it will force Ainge to make the necessary changes needed to win in the playoffs.
You mean like all of the changes they made last year when the team was struggling a bit and everyone else was getting better.

That's what he's saying. DA said it was a mistake to ride it out hoping a(more talented team one paper) would figure it out come playoffs.

This year the bench is weak. Smart, Lander are the only legit bench players. The Williams are to young to be counted on that much to be the 3 and 4th guys off the bench every night. Ones hurt, so he's no help anyways.

I think our starters have too much pressure to do things right because the bench can't always be counted on. They play too tight.

Either we have to give up some of our young guys, maybe smart, memph pic for some legit help.

Or we have to accept that a title run isn't going to happen this year and they found out the bench next summer.

Irving and Hosrford leaving handcuffed DA getting bench help this summer. We were lucky to get Jenna and Kanter.
Or Ainge will reach the same conclusion that he did last year i.e. the team isn't good enough, and he will sit it out again. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1486 on: January 18, 2020, 09:06:33 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Ainge isn't going to force through a move at the trade deadline that takes away the team's chances of making a better move in the summer.

He is looking for the final piece of the puzzle. It just a question of time until he finds it. Maybe this season, maybe the summer, maybe a year's time or the summer after that. He is shopping.

No point selling himself (the team) short. The team needs a certain level of talent to be good enough to be the final piece. Not a placeholder. A difference maker.

Difference maker are not necessarily available at the moment you first want one. Some times you gotta wait it out.

« Reply #1487 on: January 18, 2020, 03:31:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
C's really need to pick it back up. 1.5 back of the 2 seed, but also just 1.5 ahead of the 6 seed  :o
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1488 on: January 18, 2020, 04:21:00 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I am leaning more and more towards Dallas as the 3rd best team in the league behind the LA Clippers (1st) and LA Lakers (2nd).

I am not convinced by Milwaukee. I thought they had their best shot with Giannis last year and his supporting cast is weaker this year without Brogdon (and Mirotic). Skeptical Giannis - well Giannis and Middleton - get enough help from the rest of the roster. They strike me as a regular season titan playoff pretender type team.

I think it only goes downhill from here for Giannis in Milwaukee as some key pieces on that team get older (Brook Lopez, Bledsoe). Last summer, I think was the beginning of the end for Giannis in Milwaukee. I don't think he'll wait around for them to rebuild that team around him as those guys age. If they don't win now (and I don't think they will), he's gone - whether it is in 1-2-3 years time. It'll happen. Only downhill from here for Giannis' marriage with the Bucks.

I rate Philly as the best team in the East. They were never going to set the regular season on fire but they will be a pain in the butt in the postseason. A dominant defense and a dominant star in Embiid is a good foundation. Not an elite team - none of those in the East - but the best of a flawed bunch. That they are the best in the East is an indictment about how weak the East is.

Heck, even the Celtics have a shot in the East and this roster should have no chance of making it to the Finals but they do because the East sucks at the top of the conference.

Not sold on Houston. Westbrook and Harden are flawed but still a strong duo. More issue with the supporting cast. Capela is solid. The rest of the team is weak (putting it mildly). I don't know what has happened to Morey. He used to build deep teams before D'Antoni (who famously doesn't use his bench much).

Denver need more weapons around Jokic. They are not ready for a title push.

Utah are more a regular season team to me. Gobert has been taken out of games (as a defensive force) in the playoffs by dominant PnR threats and that will continue to happen. Conley hasn't gelled with Donovan. Bogdanovic has been brilliant but that is enough to make them a title threat.

I don't know what to think of Miami. They came out of nowhere this season. Very impressed with them ... but I can't shake the feeling that things won't go smoothly for them in the postseason. A lot of good role players but likely not enough star talent around Jimmy Butler. Limit Butler and can the rest of the team respond? I doubt it.

-----------

Dallas - I love what Doncic has done this season. Himself and Giannis are my favourites for MVP thus far. Doncic has been that dominant. That is a great start for building a title contender - having that legit MVP caliber star.

Then they have Porzingis as a 2nd star and matchup nightmare. They have shooters all over the court. Their bench is playing well. They have good size and solid enough defense (middle of the pack) in their starting lineup. And they are posting huge offensive efficiency numbers.

I like Dallas as a darkhorse candidate in the West. I think they have the best shot of anyone else to unseat the Lakers and/or Clippers in a playoff series.

I've been thinking this for 2-3 weeks and as time passes ... more and more, I am liking Dallas' talent as a team better than any of the top teams in the East.

« Reply #1489 on: January 19, 2020, 12:59:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Fultz had 25 last night and hit 2-5 from three. Is he starting to figure out? Considering he is still just 21 it seems like the 76ers could really use him now.
Cherry picking Fultz's best game doesn't make for a strong argument.  His two prior games he scored 6 pts each and he scored 6 pts in the game after.  He's had one other 20 pt game this season.  He's shooting 25.4% from 3 on 1.8 attempts.  So why in the world you would think Sixers could use him eludes me.  If by starting to figure it out you mean he isn't going to be a complete bust, you're probably correct but he's most definitely not ready to contribute in the playoffs for a championship contender and there is a good chance he never will be able to do so.   

If I'm the Sixers, I'd be looking to acquire players like Bertans and IT.  Maybe Marcus Morris if he gets bought out.

I am not the only one noticing Fultz' play now: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/1/17/21070255/markelle-fultz-orlando-magic

« Reply #1490 on: January 19, 2020, 01:50:45 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Fultz had 25 last night and hit 2-5 from three. Is he starting to figure out? Considering he is still just 21 it seems like the 76ers could really use him now.
Cherry picking Fultz's best game doesn't make for a strong argument.  His two prior games he scored 6 pts each and he scored 6 pts in the game after.  He's had one other 20 pt game this season.  He's shooting 25.4% from 3 on 1.8 attempts.  So why in the world you would think Sixers could use him eludes me.  If by starting to figure it out you mean he isn't going to be a complete bust, you're probably correct but he's most definitely not ready to contribute in the playoffs for a championship contender and there is a good chance he never will be able to do so.   

If I'm the Sixers, I'd be looking to acquire players like Bertans and IT.  Maybe Marcus Morris if he gets bought out.

I am not the only one noticing Fultz' play now: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/1/17/21070255/markelle-fultz-orlando-magic
I didn't question whether Fultz was playing better albeit doing so on a mediocre at best team.  I said he looks like he won't be a complete bust.  That's a far cry from saying a championship contender could really use him especially the Sixers who need 3pt shooting around Embiid and Simmons.  Even with his improved performance in January, he's shooting 23.8 3P% for the month (10 games). 

« Reply #1491 on: January 19, 2020, 02:23:31 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I am leaning more and more towards Dallas as the 3rd best team in the league behind the LA Clippers (1st) and LA Lakers (2nd).

I am not convinced by Milwaukee. I thought they had their best shot with Giannis last year and his supporting cast is weaker this year without Brogdon (and Mirotic). Skeptical Giannis - well Giannis and Middleton - get enough help from the rest of the roster. They strike me as a regular season titan playoff pretender type team.

I think it only goes downhill from here for Giannis in Milwaukee as some key pieces on that team get older (Brook Lopez, Bledsoe). Last summer, I think was the beginning of the end for Giannis in Milwaukee. I don't think he'll wait around for them to rebuild that team around him as those guys age. If they don't win now (and I don't think they will), he's gone - whether it is in 1-2-3 years time. It'll happen. Only downhill from here for Giannis' marriage with the Bucks.

I rate Philly as the best team in the East. They were never going to set the regular season on fire but they will be a pain in the butt in the postseason. A dominant defense and a dominant star in Embiid is a good foundation. Not an elite team - none of those in the East - but the best of a flawed bunch. That they are the best in the East is an indictment about how weak the East is.

Heck, even the Celtics have a shot in the East and this roster should have no chance of making it to the Finals but they do because the East sucks at the top of the conference.

Not sold on Houston. Westbrook and Harden are flawed but still a strong duo. More issue with the supporting cast. Capela is solid. The rest of the team is weak (putting it mildly). I don't know what has happened to Morey. He used to build deep teams before D'Antoni (who famously doesn't use his bench much).

Denver need more weapons around Jokic. They are not ready for a title push.

Utah are more a regular season team to me. Gobert has been taken out of games (as a defensive force) in the playoffs by dominant PnR threats and that will continue to happen. Conley hasn't gelled with Donovan. Bogdanovic has been brilliant but that is enough to make them a title threat.

I don't know what to think of Miami. They came out of nowhere this season. Very impressed with them ... but I can't shake the feeling that things won't go smoothly for them in the postseason. A lot of good role players but likely not enough star talent around Jimmy Butler. Limit Butler and can the rest of the team respond? I doubt it.

-----------

Dallas - I love what Doncic has done this season. Himself and Giannis are my favourites for MVP thus far. Doncic has been that dominant. That is a great start for building a title contender - having that legit MVP caliber star.

Then they have Porzingis as a 2nd star and matchup nightmare. They have shooters all over the court. Their bench is playing well. They have good size and solid enough defense (middle of the pack) in their starting lineup. And they are posting huge offensive efficiency numbers.

I like Dallas as a darkhorse candidate in the West. I think they have the best shot of anyone else to unseat the Lakers and/or Clippers in a playoff series.

I've been thinking this for 2-3 weeks and as time passes ... more and more, I am liking Dallas' talent as a team better than any of the top teams in the East.
I don't disagree with your overall assessment but I think the Mavs are a regular season team too.  All they really have is Doncic and KP.  KP has his injury history and neither have done anything in the playoffs.  They're 7-10 against .500 and above teams.  Assuming health, I don't see them having a chance against the Lakers or Clips in the playoffs. 

« Reply #1492 on: January 19, 2020, 02:27:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I didn't question whether Fultz was playing better albeit doing so on a mediocre at best team.  I said he looks like he won't be a complete bust.  That's a far cry from saying a championship contender could really use him especially the Sixers who need 3pt shooting around Embiid and Simmons.  Even with his improved performance in January, he's shooting 23.8 3P% for the month (10 games).

I’m honestly pretty baffled you think a guy that can create off the triple and get to the hole wouldn’t be useful to a team that completely struggles in the halfcourt. Bizarre

« Reply #1493 on: January 19, 2020, 03:53:50 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Last season Ainge said he made a mistake by not doing anything at the trade deadline even if the team was clearly in need of changes.

Celtics losing games in January is a good thing because it will force Ainge to make the necessary changes needed to win in the playoffs.
You mean like all of the changes they made last year when the team was struggling a bit and everyone else was getting better.

That's what he's saying. DA said it was a mistake to ride it out hoping a(more talented team one paper) would figure it out come playoffs.

This year the bench is weak. Smart, Lander are the only legit bench players. The Williams are to young to be counted on that much to be the 3 and 4th guys off the bench every night. Ones hurt, so he's no help anyways.

I think our starters have too much pressure to do things right because the bench can't always be counted on. They play too tight.

Either we have to give up some of our young guys, maybe smart, memph pic for some legit help.

Or we have to accept that a title run isn't going to happen this year and they found out the bench next summer.

Irving and Hosrford leaving handcuffed DA getting bench help this summer. We were lucky to get Jenna and Kanter.
Or Ainge will reach the same conclusion that he did last year i.e. the team isn't good enough, and he will sit it out again.

We'll get the final answer in 2 and a half weeks.

Last season Ainge didn't do anything because he was all in on the Anthony Davis sweepstakes.

This year the Celts will not be players in free-agency as they don't have the cap space to sign a big name free-agent.

So there's nothing to look forward to in the summer.

Hoping that a miracle happens after the season?

« Reply #1494 on: January 19, 2020, 04:16:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Last season Ainge didn't do anything because he was all in on the Anthony Davis sweepstakes.

This year the Celts will not be players in free-agency as they don't have the cap space to sign a big name free-agent.

The offseason is always easier to address team issues than in season. Next summer, the team will have any uncertainty with Hayward's contract taken care of. Jaylen's poison Pill Provision is gone if you want to move him in a package for a superstar. We will know about what happens with the Memphis pick finally(whether we get it this year or next and where it lands if it conveys this year). We will have the non taxpayer's MLE. Tatum should be secured for the future. Danny can move some of these bench contracts for experienced bench players while possibly using the wealth of draft picks we have at draft time to trade up for a really good player. There is lots of stuff Danny can do during the offseason to upgrade this team. Moreso than he can in season.

« Reply #1495 on: January 19, 2020, 05:44:02 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

The offseason is always easier to address team issues than in season. Next summer, the team will have any uncertainty with Hayward's contract taken care of. Jaylen's poison Pill Provision is gone if you want to move him in a package for a superstar. We will know about what happens with the Memphis pick finally(whether we get it this year or next and where it lands if it conveys this year). We will have the non taxpayer's MLE. Tatum should be secured for the future. Danny can move some of these bench contracts for experienced bench players while possibly using the wealth of draft picks we have at draft time to trade up for a really good player. There is lots of stuff Danny can do during the offseason to upgrade this team. Moreso than he can in season.

Why would you even think about trading Jaylen Brown when the Celts got him at a reasonable price?

There's no uncertainty about Hayward's contract.
Right now it's very clear that Hayward will most likely not reach All-Star form again.
Jaylen is already better than Hayward, so Hayward is already expendable.

There's just no point in having a lineup of Kemba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and Smart at Center in the last 4 minutes of a game.

That's just not going to work.

Celts are better off having a true Center instead of using undersized players as Centers.

Modeling the Celtics after the GSW dynasty is just not working because the Celts don't have Steph and Klay.

Kemba is no Steph.
Hayward or Brown is no Klay.
And Tatum is no KD at this point in time.

The Memphis pick is just a bonus so it's really not a big deal at this stage, when the Celts are already in the hunt.

« Reply #1496 on: January 19, 2020, 06:59:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Why would you even think about trading Jaylen Brown when the Celts got him at a reasonable price?

Right now it's very clear that Hayward will most likely not reach All-Star form again.

There's just no point in having a lineup of Kemba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and Smart at Center in the last 4 minutes of a game.

Celts are better off having a true Center instead of using undersized players as Centers.

Modeling the Celtics after the GSW dynasty is just not working because the Celts don't have Steph and Klay.

Kemba is no Steph.

The Memphis pick is just a bonus so it's really not a big deal at this stage, when the Celts are already in the hunt.
Jesus, Fierce. I really don't want to talk about, nor am I going to talk about, your agenda that you want to push down everyone's throat by bringing it up in virtually every post you make, while hijacking every thread you can.

But, to address the subject at hand, which was Danny not making a trade now versus waiting for offseason, I brought up Brown being easier to trade because if someone wanted to trade us KAT, or Embiid, or Jokic, or Beal, you know, someone of that caliber, you are probably going to need salary and a stud young guy going back. That would mean Brown. If a team would take Hayward instead, great, but I don't think Hayward lands you those type of guys.So... Brown would need to go.

The reason it will be good to know about Hayward's contract is because right now his contract is problematic due to the fact that Hayward has given no indication whether he will opt out of his last year or not. Is he an expiring contract or a guy that isn't worth the money for his total contract? Add the fact it's public knowledge he has some possible long term problems in his foot due to the leg break and his value is low and the likelihood of a trade now extremely unlikely.

But in the offseason most of those questions and problems with Hayward can be addressed for good, leading to a whole lot of options for Ainge going forward.

And knowing whether we get the Memphis pick and where we get it gives a real value to the pick that Danny can use in a trade. Or let him decide to keep it and move the other 2 picks instead. Doesn't matter. But knowing where it will land helps in the long term planning as a whole.

These are things that Danny is probably considering before making moves in the season, as a knee jerk reaction to a couple of weeks of less than stellar play during a rough stretch of the schedule. He could still make a trade this season, but it will be small and not a difference maker. Decisions on difference makers will be made in the off season. That's pretty much Danny's M.O.

« Reply #1497 on: January 19, 2020, 07:04:27 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Kemba is no Steph.

Jesus, Fierce. I really don't want to talk about, nor am I going to talk about, your agenda that you want to push down everyone's throat by bringing it up in virtually every post you make, while hijacking every thread you can.

But, to address the subject at hand, which was Danny not making a trade now versus waiting for offseason, I brought up Brown being easier to trade because if someone wanted to trade us KAT, or Embiid, or Jokic, or Beal, you know, someone of that caliber, you are probably going to need salary and a stud young guy going back. That would mean Brown. If a team would take Hayward instead, great, but I don't think Hayward lands you those type of guys.So... Brown would need to go.

The reason it will be good to know about Hayward's contract is because right now his contract is problematic due to the fact that Hayward has given no indication whether he will opt out of his last year or not. Is he an expiring contract or a guy that isn't worth the money for his total contract? Add the fact it's public knowledge he has some possible long term problems in his foot due to the leg break and his value is low and the likelihood of a trade now extremely unlikely.

But in the offseason most of those questions and problems with Hayward can be addressed for good, leading to a whole lot of options for Ainge going forward.

And knowing whether we get the Memphis pick and where we get it gives a real value to the pick that Danny can use in a trade. Or let him decide to keep it and move the other 2 picks instead. Doesn't matter. But knowing where it will land helps in the long term planning as a whole.

These are things that Danny is probably considering before making moves in the season, as a knee jerk reaction to a couple of weeks of less than stellar play during a rough stretch of the schedule. He could still make a trade this season, but it will be small and not a difference maker. Decisions on difference makers will be made in the off season. That's pretty much Danny's M.O.

Well, at least now you agree that it's possible Ainge will make a move, even if it's a minor move.

Back in November, you didn't believe Ainge would make a move, even a minor one.

This will soon be over, nick.
Just 2 and a half weeks to go.
After that, all the trade talk will disappear until the season is over.

« Reply #1498 on: January 19, 2020, 07:29:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Kemba is no Steph.

Well, at least now you agree that it's possible Ainge will make a move, even if it's a minor move.

Back in November, you didn't believe Ainge would make a move, even a minor one.

This will soon be over, nick.
Just 2 and a half weeks to go.
After that, all the trade talk will disappear until the season is over.
I still don't think he makes a trade. That hasn't changed. I always thought it possible a small trade could be made. I just don't think it will.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 12:47:11 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #1499 on: January 21, 2020, 12:30:24 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Lillard is insane.