Author Topic: BOS / ATL / NOP idea  (Read 4548 times)

Re: BOs / ATL / NOP idea
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2021, 01:53:53 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Love to have Collins..be perfect for this team
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 01:58:23 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Honestly, I am just not interested in trades that send away starters (or top bench) right now until after they at least try to add to this team with the TPE. 

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 02:19:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Honestly, I am just not interested in trades that send away starters (or top bench) right now until after they at least try to add to this team with the TPE.

The problem that I see there is, first you probably get a lesser player if you were not sending quality out, and secondly, declining to send out salary just puts further financial complications on the team going forward.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: BOS / ATL / NOP idea
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2021, 02:25:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I get that Collins is going to get a big contract, but I don't know why the Hawks would trade him without getting blown away as they would still have restricted free agency rights to him this summer (which is probably worth at least a 1st and a decent player if not more).  He is after all their starting PF and they are looking like a playoff team that is only going to get better and they haven't even had Bogdanovic for the last handful of games and finally got Gallinari back.  I think the Hawks could make some noise this year if they can come together healthy for the playoffs.  Certainly not a team I'd want to face in the 1st round of the playoffs.  So I'm sure they'd move him, but it would have to be a pretty enticing trade package for them to do it.  And I don't think a package centered around Smart is good enough, especially given how well Hunter and Huerter are playing for them (and they still have Bojan coming back).   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2021, 02:29:29 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I get that Collins is going to get a big contract, but I don't know why the Hawks would trade him without getting blown away as they would still have restricted free agency rights to him this summer (which is probably worth at least a 1st and a decent player if not more).  He is after all their starting PF and they are looking like a playoff team that is only going to get better and they haven't even had Bogdanovic for the last handful of games and finally got Gallinari back.  I think the Hawks could make some noise this year if they can come together healthy for the playoffs.  Certainly not a team I'd want to face in the 1st round of the playoffs.  So I'm sure they'd move him, but it would have to be a pretty enticing trade package for them to do it.  And I don't think a package centered around Smart is good enough, especially given how well Hunter and Huerter are playing for them (and they still have Bojan coming back).   

The big reasons appears to be that Collins is not on the same page as Trae Young or the coaching staff. There's also been some rumors since last trade deadline that they made him available and the Cs were one team having conversations. There's just a lot of smoke, but we aren't given that inside information.

If that's just false reports, then I agree they won't trade him, even if he does want an oversized contract.

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2021, 03:00:05 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

We can only use the TPE on marginal upgrades due to being hardcapped this season. Being that it’s such a large exception, I would hold it and see if we can make a huge splash with it in July.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2021, 03:22:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I’m not as high on John Collins. Seems like you are trying to make us a bigger starting lineup. I’d rather just start Theis and Thompson and sub in Rob Williams. Williams is still developing.

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2021, 03:39:00 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
This depends on your valuation, but it feels like Smart (who is an all-defensive player and a legit defensive MVP candidate year to year) probably has more value around the league than Collins. If that's true, it seems the Cs are giving up too much.

(clipped)

However, I don't think this is the right price for him given defensive deficiencies and how much we would depend on him in the playoffs.

I agree with all of this 100%, especially the bolded part.  If the team/coach/teammates could get Smart to play within himself and look to distribute on offense he is an incredibly valuable player.  When Smart plays like he did those last couple of games, less than 12 shots w/ high efficiency, setting up teammates who are better shooters, dropping 8-10 dimes night, all nba def - then Smart is almost a borderline niche almost all star.

Unless Smart wants out, or is causing problems that we don't hear about, I don't look to trade him.  I like Collins, but maybe find another way to acquire him?   

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2021, 03:44:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Redick is toast. He has had 4 good shooting games all year(out of 15). The rest of the games have been horrific to not good. His defense is god awful. Hard pass on anything involving him. I would rather give those minutes to Pritchard or Nesmith.

Now, Collins, I could see trying to acquire. I wonder if sending them a player and a raft of picks could get it done.

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2021, 03:57:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Redick is toast. He has had 4 good shooting games all year(out of 15). The rest of the games have been horrific to not good. His defense is god awful. Hard pass on anything involving him. I would rather give those minutes to Pritchard or Nesmith.

Now, Collins, I could see trying to acquire. I wonder if sending them a player and a raft of picks could get it done.

Redick definitely looks like toast, but in this deal we are essentially getting him for free. We give up two second rounders, don’t have to use the trade exception, stay well under the luxury tax, etc.  If he bounces back to where he was just a couple of months ago, then it is a steal. If it doesn’t work out, we have still preserved the entirety of our trade exception.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2021, 04:02:39 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
This depends on your valuation, but it feels like Smart (who is an all-defensive player and a legit defensive MVP candidate year to year) probably has more value around the league than Collins. If that's true, it seems the Cs are giving up too much.

(clipped)

However, I don't think this is the right price for him given defensive deficiencies and how much we would depend on him in the playoffs.

I agree with all of this 100%, especially the bolded part.  If the team/coach/teammates could get Smart to play within himself and look to distribute on offense he is an incredibly valuable player.  When Smart plays like he did those last couple of games, less than 12 shots w/ high efficiency, setting up teammates who are better shooters, dropping 8-10 dimes night, all nba def - then Smart is almost a borderline niche almost all star.

Unless Smart wants out, or is causing problems that we don't hear about, I don't look to trade him.  I like Collins, but maybe find another way to acquire him?   

We need Smart to be a guard version of Draymond Green. A versatile bull-dog on defense who focuses on facilitating offense.

If Draymond started trying to score going to the basket on every pick-and-roll, and was shooting less than 40%, then his effectiveness to a contender is much, much different.

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2021, 04:11:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

(clipped)

We need Smart to be a guard version of Draymond Green. A versatile bull-dog on defense who focuses on facilitating offense.

If Draymond started trying to score going to the basket on every pick-and-roll, and was shooting less than 40%, then his effectiveness to a contender is much, much different.

I always find these conversations interesting. You see them in all walks of life.  “If my boyfriend stopped hitting me, he’d be amazing”.  “If Smart stopped playing the same way he has for six years, he’d be ideal”.

Smart is who he is:  Tony Allen with better passing.  He’s not going to change. He’s always going to be very valuable on defense, a mixed bag on offense, and a little bit rough around the edges off the court.

And, we would be trading him for a young, potentially all star level power forward.

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2021, 05:16:49 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I like Collins, Dunn, and Redick but I’m not sure I like the trade as a whole.

What would we do with Dunn if he doesn’t crack the rotation you propose? I’d hope for him to take some of Smart’s lost minutes as he’s such a great defender.

Collins would be a phenomenal add for us. Redick would too despite his poor start. Stan Van Gundy has already come out and said he’s using Redick improperly.

I’d rather go for Collins and Redick, leave Dunn out of it, and keep Smart if at all possible.

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2021, 05:46:59 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Boston trades: Smart, Timelord, 1st, two seconds
Boston receives: J.J. Redick, John Collins, Kris Dunn

Atlanta trades:  John Collins, Tony Snell, Kris Dunn, second
Atlanta receives: Smart, Timelord, #1

NOP trades: Redick
NOP receives: Snell, three seconds

Theis / Thompson
Collins / Williams
Tatum / Langford
Brown / Redick / Nesmith
Kemba / Pritchard / Teague

I think Redick, Nunn and the 2nd rounders all have fringe value, to the point that this is basically Smart plus two late 1sts for Collins. Once you consider we're losing 2 from our rotation, Collins is a RFA in the offseason, and the huge potential hit to chemistry, I think you pass. The talent is tantalizing and it could work out, but you're betting a lot on Brown / Tatum / Collins clicking.

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2021, 05:48:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I like Collins, Dunn, and Redick but I’m not sure I like the trade as a whole.

What would we do with Dunn if he doesn’t crack the rotation you propose? I’d hope for him to take some of Smart’s lost minutes as he’s such a great defender.

Collins would be a phenomenal add for us. Redick would too despite his poor start. Stan Van Gundy has already come out and said he’s using Redick improperly.

I’d rather go for Collins and Redick, leave Dunn out of it, and keep Smart if at all possible.

This is an ongoing theme in this thread, and multiple others. I understand that. We would all like to get something for nothing. But, for a 23 year old 20 / 10 guy who shoots 40% from three, we have to give something up of value.

To me, downgrading from Smart to Dunn is worth the gigantic upgrade Collins would bring up front.