24 (19.8%)
Nets
24 (19.8%)
Clippers
6 (5%)
Other
12 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 120

Author Topic: The Kyrie Irving free agency thread(to sign 4yr/$141M w/Nets page 105)  (Read 145599 times)

Re: The Kyrie Irving complaint and free agency thread
« Reply #960 on: May 26, 2019, 12:02:30 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
there was consensus on Rondo and IT. Those two were not polarizing. There was consensus that Rondo was a headcase, and that IT was an awesome Celtic.
This is some weird revisionism, considering Rondo is the only one player many people here can recall causing similar levels of division in he fanbase
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #961 on: May 26, 2019, 12:04:02 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
there was consensus on Rondo and IT. Those two were not polarizing. There was consensus that Rondo was a headcase, and that IT was an awesome Celtic.
This is some weird revisionism, considering Rondo is the only one player many people here can recall causing similar levels of division in he fanbase

what kind of division? There was no argument that Rondo was a headcase that required special handling.

« Reply #962 on: May 26, 2019, 12:37:40 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
With this much hate from Celtics fans to Kyrie, i don 't think he will re-sign with Celtics.
I think the feeling fans get with him is he's got no loyalty and is out only for himself - which you can say about a lot of the current generation who want to 'team up' with their pals.  Symptomatic of where the NBA is at right now because the players have more power than in other sports.

I honestly could care less whether he stays or goes. If he does leave Boston I hope he's miserable.  If he re-signs I want him to be all in trying the help the team succeed.

Nice player to watch. Seems like a real a-- as a person.  I understand that if he leaves its very likely the team won't be able to contend for a title.  It is what it is. 

I buy tickets.  I'll still buy them if the team competes and I enjoy watching them.  One more season like this one and I'm probably done spending money on them.

If I remember correctly  - so was Larry. Michael and Kobe were known as pricks at times, too.....

Even KG made Big Baby cry...

Not saying that Kyrie IS as good as those greats but he was our best player this season AND will be our best player going forward - unless we bring in KD or AD...

We seemingly - in this day and age - WANT our players to be lovable, likable, quotable....kissing babies...saying the right things.

It isn't like that anymore and probably was NEVER like that, at least back in the day.

Blame unscrupulous reporters, biased analysts, hot take artists, whatever.

I'll GLADLY take Little Mountain back - even with all his quirkiness.
Prick and diva is not the same thing.  You just compared Kyrie to several players with the exact opposite personality of Irving.  Give me a team full of pricks.  I would prefer to avoid needy divas if given the choice.

Exactly. Pricks are someone you like to go war with. Even with a bad personality, they play with pride and tenacity. Divas are guys who wanted everything on a silver platter.

You can be a diva and a prick at the same time, but I'd take buttholes who will fight through pain than crybabies who proclaims they are leaders then drop the team under the bus when adversity comes.

Kyrie needs to grow. He needs to continue the path to being a better team mate and leader. I feel he has started the journey towards doing this this season.

He took some steps back...took some steps forward. I believe he is a better team mate AND player NOW than he was before the season started.

With THAT being said I hope Coach Stevens is a better coach next season. I also hope Gordon Hayward is completely healthy and ready to be more consistent.

It is an AWESOME sight to see an All-Star surrounded by OTHER equally talented players....and those players knowing their ROLES.....and COMMITTING to those roles....

We didn't have that this season. We had a coach who - even though I LOVE CBS - struggled to manage those roles and egos.

I don't believe we'll have these problems next season. The team will look different....more help will be here - in one form or other.

If Kyrie comes back next season it will be better for him and easier.

« Reply #963 on: May 26, 2019, 12:45:58 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

what kind of division? There was no argument that Rondo was a headcase that required special handling.

Weird revisionism indeed. I mean iirc, you had a range of people saying rondo was a beast to rondo was worthless.
- LilRip

« Reply #964 on: May 26, 2019, 01:04:47 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm here to confirm that Rondo was super divisive.  Some of the longest running and most annoying debates were between people who felt Rondo could be a league MVP in the right circumstances and people who believed he was entirely a product of the talent around him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #965 on: May 26, 2019, 01:14:13 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

I'm here to confirm that Rondo was super divisive.  Some of the longest running and most annoying debates were between people who felt Rondo could be a league MVP in the right circumstances and people who believed he was entirely a product of the talent around him.

Wonder how much Rondo would be worth

« Reply #966 on: May 26, 2019, 01:20:08 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Just 1 year of Kyrie and Anthony Davis together in Boston.

That's all I'm asking for.

If it doesn't work out then Kyrie leaves next summer.

Re: Was Kyrie intentionally missing shots?
« Reply #967 on: May 26, 2019, 08:23:51 AM »

Offline fingerlakes

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
I don't believe Irving was missing shots intentionally. However, the fact that we even have a thread about Kyrie missing shots intentionally speaks volumes about the melodrama Kyrie has created this year. Would this forum ever have a thread about Bird or even Pierce missing shots intentionally ? H%#L  NO.

This day and age....who knows...

Listened to Bob Ryan on Goodman's podcast and they both thought Kyrie played like he was hurt.  Scalabrine said many times he had no explanation for Kyrie's shooting.  Last i looked Bledsoe was no Gary Payton and their best defensive guard was out most of the series.  The Bucks guards are their weak link and Kyrie can score on anybody.  His shot is always near the center of the rim and his shot is near always on target.  The dude can shoot.  But watch those shots again.  That one air ball was two feet short. Lots of his shots were no where near the hole. Maybe the guy is ailing or maybe he just half ass'd his shots because he had cashed the 2019 season in.  That is just as bad as intentionally missing.  We beat this team last season  without the diva and you telling me the Brook Lopez addition and Brogdon subtraction makes this team so [dang] unbeatable.  I don't buy it.  Kyrie checked out at some point in this series.

One more time for the cheap seats in the back. The Bucks went from the 8th seed to 1st seed with the best overall record in the league. Giannis is likely the MVP. They're a much better team than they were last season. This year's Bucks team would probably wax last year's Celtics team.

People can hate Kyrie all they want, but give Milwaukee credit for what they've done.

Oh the invincible Bucks were just too much for Kyrie and the C's to handle.  Many here giving them all the credit for blowing our doors off and shutting down Kyrie.  New additions from last years team Mirotic, ilyasova, Connaughton were too much for us.  Please.  What have they done in this Raptor series. They were all on the waiver wire and Lopez has been kicked around the league just as much.  Those mighty Bucks just shut us down according to so many here.  Kyrie sabotaged our season with his half ass shot selection and many here just refuse to see it.

Yes, the team that had a 16 win improvement behind a new coach and completely revamped offense and the probable league MVP are complete and utter frauds. Never mind the fact that they took us to 7 games last year before their significant improvement. Who am I kidding? Milwaukee is trash. Giannis is a poor man's Jayson Tatum 3 years from now. Khris Middleton is the worst All-Star ever, Jaylen Brown should've been selected by the coaches over him. Coach Bud can't even sniff Brad Steven's jock strap.

Oh those mighty Bucks just got beat 4 straight.  The same team we beat with last year without Kyrie.  Oh they added the 4 waiver additions and Hill and Lopez.  Wow.  Danny did not want any of those guys but they blew our doors off in 4 straight.  But 'Who Cares"  Kyrie's attitude and play took us down.

« Reply #968 on: May 26, 2019, 08:34:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don't believe Irving was missing shots intentionally. However, the fact that we even have a thread about Kyrie missing shots intentionally speaks volumes about the melodrama Kyrie has created this year. Would this forum ever have a thread about Bird or even Pierce missing shots intentionally ? H%#L  NO.

Listened to Bob Ryan on Goodman's podcast and they both thought Kyrie played like he was hurt.  Scalabrine said many times he had no explanation for Kyrie's shooting.  Last i looked Bledsoe was no Gary Payton and their best defensive guard was out most of the series.  The Bucks guards are their weak link and Kyrie can score on anybody.  His shot is always near the center of the rim and his shot is near always on target.  The dude can shoot.  But watch those shots again.  That one air ball was two feet short. Lots of his shots were no where near the hole. Maybe the guy is ailing or maybe he just half ass'd his shots because he had cashed the 2019 season in.  That is just as bad as intentionally missing.  We beat this team last season  without the diva and you telling me the Brook Lopez addition and Brogdon subtraction makes this team so [dang] unbeatable.  I don't buy it.  Kyrie checked out at some point in this series.

One more time for the cheap seats in the back. The Bucks went from the 8th seed to 1st seed with the best overall record in the league. Giannis is likely the MVP. They're a much better team than they were last season. This year's Bucks team would probably wax last year's Celtics team.

People can hate Kyrie all they want, but give Milwaukee credit for what they've done.

Oh the invincible Bucks were just too much for Kyrie and the C's to handle.  Many here giving them all the credit for blowing our doors off and shutting down Kyrie.  New additions from last years team Mirotic, ilyasova, Connaughton were too much for us.  Please.  What have they done in this Raptor series. They were all on the waiver wire and Lopez has been kicked around the league just as much.  Those mighty Bucks just shut us down according to so many here.  Kyrie sabotaged our season with his half ass shot selection and many here just refuse to see it.

Yes, the team that had a 16 win improvement behind a new coach and completely revamped offense and the probable league MVP are complete and utter frauds. Never mind the fact that they took us to 7 games last year before their significant improvement. Who am I kidding? Milwaukee is trash. Giannis is a poor man's Jayson Tatum 3 years from now. Khris Middleton is the worst All-Star ever, Jaylen Brown should've been selected by the coaches over him. Coach Bud can't even sniff Brad Steven's jock strap.

Oh those mighty Bucks just got beat 4 straight.  The same team we beat with last year without Kyrie.  Oh they added the 4 waiver additions and Hill and Lopez.  Wow.  Danny did not want any of those guys but they blew our doors off in 4 straight.  But 'Who Cares"  Kyrie's attitude and play took us down.
This is a special kind of delusion where literally only one player is at fault. Amazing mental gymnastics, but there's really no discussion to be had with someone with your attitude
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #969 on: May 26, 2019, 09:27:12 AM »

Offline fingerlakes

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13

This is a special kind of delusion where literally only one player is at fault. Amazing mental gymnastics, but there's really no discussion to be had with someone with your attitude

https://www.nba.com/video/2018/05/01/2018-first-round-series-recap-bucks-celtics

« Reply #970 on: May 26, 2019, 10:54:29 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #971 on: May 26, 2019, 11:00:17 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx5i8GEnbJT/

Who are the two people next to Kyrie? I just see a picture with him and 2 friends and that's it.

« Reply #972 on: May 26, 2019, 11:01:52 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx5i8GEnbJT/

Who are the two people next to Kyrie? I just see a picture with him and 2 friends and that's it.

I think it's the fact that he's in Boston right now.

Now you can say, "who cares?", but we saw the backlash here when news was posted that Kyrie was in LA  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #973 on: May 26, 2019, 11:10:24 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Hope he stays so that we don't lose an asset.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #974 on: May 26, 2019, 11:22:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hope he stays so that we don't lose an asset.

I hope he stays so that we don't lose a great player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes