Author Topic: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft  (Read 108299 times)

Re: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2019, 11:05:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If maybe 2 of Brown, Tatum, Smart ( :-[) get traded away for AD, at least we can replenish our wing stock nicely. Lots of good mid-first wings in this draft.

Hope Cam Reddish slides to #9!!
how so?  if we trade for AD, every one of the picks I'm tracking are going in that same trade.  don't be surprised if the second rounder goes out the door too

I can't imagine we will be sending all of our picks if we are also sending Tatum and Brown (or Smart). No other team will be trading a Tatum level asset along with a Brown/Smart level one. And how many other teams have this many picks? I imagine we will at least keep the SAC or MEM pick, and maybe even the Clips one with future picks possibly being sent instead.

With Ingram's uncertainty, the Knicks become our biggest rival in a trade and they have to hope they can land that #1 pick because #2 isn't good enough. I get that AD is the big prize, but it sounds like we will mostly be bidding against ourselves. NOP is clearly enamored with Tatum - everything else should be mostly filler (even though it won't be).

« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2019, 11:07:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If maybe 2 of Brown, Tatum, Smart ( :-[) get traded away for AD, at least we can replenish our wing stock nicely. Lots of good mid-first wings in this draft.

how so?  if we trade for AD, every one of the picks I'm tracking are going in that same trade.  don't be surprised if the second rounder goes out the door too

Maybe the Pelicans can send us a small-forward with Anthony Davis. We would need an actual SF once Tatum and Brown are gone. Ojeleye is a good 3rd stringer lol.

We still have Hayward.

Hayward is a SF.

Yeah, if an AD trade goes down, our starting line-up will be absolutely stacked next year. Hayward is once again showing signs of his previous form and he will have an entire summer to get back to 'normal'. The weakest link will be whomever is left between Brown and Smart. That's just nuts.

« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2019, 11:21:42 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

I can't imagine we will be sending all of our picks if we are also sending Tatum and Brown (or Smart). No other team will be trading a Tatum level asset along with a Brown/Smart level one. And how many other teams have this many picks? I imagine we will at least keep the SAC or MEM pick, and maybe even the Clips one with future picks possibly being sent instead.

With Ingram's uncertainty, the Knicks become our biggest rival in a trade and they have to hope they can land that #1 pick because #2 isn't good enough. I get that AD is the big prize, but it sounds like we will mostly be bidding against ourselves. NOP is clearly enamored with Tatum - everything else should be mostly filler (even though it won't be).

Not to get too far off the subject, but I have a theory about the Tatum situation. Danny is an absolute MASTER at manipulating the media. The more that Tatum is viewed as the ultimate prize, the more I think Danny is willing to let him go and that something/somebody else is who the Cs are really protecting.

Mike

« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2019, 11:40:27 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Not to get too far off the subject, but I have a theory about the Tatum situation. Danny is an absolute MASTER at manipulating the media. The more that Tatum is viewed as the ultimate prize, the more I think Danny is willing to let him go and that something/somebody else is who the Cs are really protecting.

Mike

Mahhcus!

« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2019, 01:15:52 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Memphis won.. i think they will pass lakers who are tanking as hell and we will get the 9th pick too.. will give ainge the chance to use picks to get higher or get a nice player..

« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2019, 08:28:43 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I don't see both Tatum and Brown going in a trade that's why I think all the picks are going.

Love Smart but he's not on the same level as Tatum or Brown as a trade asset even though he's locked into a reasonable contract for a while.  I suspect that if the C's do trade for AD, it's going to be something like Tatum, Smart, Williams, maybe Yabu or Semi and those 4 picks --> particularly if Memphis carries over to next year.   if Danny makes a move to sign a vet this season to use for salary filler in the deal (MLE with a team-option for next year that can be waived by NO), then maybe he works something out where he can hang on to Smart but I doubt that happens at this point.

« Reply #156 on: March 11, 2019, 09:59:43 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Not sure New Orleans will want a ton of picks in return, especially in this draft. They have their own lottery pick so I think they would ask for no more than 2 this year, especially if the miracle happens that is the Memphis pick. N.O. will like ask for both the Memphis and Sacramento picks but no more than those two this year. We would likely have to trade about 3-4 players as well to match salaries.
This likely belongs in a different thread but I was just replying to a couple of above posts.

« Reply #157 on: March 11, 2019, 10:16:15 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Not sure New Orleans will want a ton of picks in return, especially in this draft. They have their own lottery pick so I think they would ask for no more than 2 this year, especially if the miracle happens that is the Memphis pick. N.O. will like ask for both the Memphis and Sacramento picks but no more than those two this year. We would likely have to trade about 3-4 players as well to match salaries.
This likely belongs in a different thread but I was just replying to a couple of above posts.

This is the piece that’s hardest for me to see - what will/can NOP accept?

If the Mem and LAC picks convey this year (increasingly likely) it’s possible to match salaries w/out sending Smart or Brown. Tatum, Yabu, Time Lord, four picks. Possibly we’d need a few more bucks, like a 2d rounder.

My guess is the NOPs would see the value in that deal as the best they can get (Tatum, Williams, pick 9 and 14) and not insist on Smart or Brown. Another question I have, assuming that Ian right - are they able to trade for all those players? Hard to believe they have six open roster spots they want to fill with these guys. Can they just cut anybody they don’t want, maybe involve a 3d team?

(Final observation: this is all contingent on who wins the Zion sweepstakes... if a high lottery team gets lucky and can pair ZW with a decent player I can see NOP preferring that. Zion will put butts in the seats.)

« Reply #158 on: March 11, 2019, 12:19:01 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

If the Mem and LAC picks convey this year (increasingly likely) it’s possible to match salaries w/out sending Smart or Brown. Tatum, Yabu, Time Lord, four picks. Possibly we’d need a few more bucks, like a 2d rounder.

My guess is the NOPs would see the value in that deal as the best they can get (Tatum, Williams, pick 9 and 14) and not insist on Smart or Brown. Another question I have, assuming that Ian right - are they able to trade for all those players? Hard to believe they have six open roster spots they want to fill with these guys. Can they just cut anybody they don’t want, maybe involve a 3d team?

(Final observation: this is all contingent on who wins the Zion sweepstakes... if a high lottery team gets lucky and can pair ZW with a decent player I can see NOP preferring that. Zion will put butts in the seats.)

I hope Danny doesn't get too crazy if competing with another team's offer that includes Zion...I'd rather trade for Zion and give up a little less than trade for AD and give up everything.  By everything I mean Tatum    plus        Brown or Smart      plus      all the picks....

EDIT:  well the above doesn't make sense as the Zion possessing team would either prefer Zion or AD, above any offer the Celtics could put together, unless that team really wanted a SF and not a big, or for some reason the Pels aren't sold on Zion (very unlikely).

So just keep the don't get too crazy Danny part....and discard rest of first paragraph above...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 12:30:06 PM by wiley »

« Reply #159 on: March 11, 2019, 12:36:20 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
For those of you worried about a team winning the lottery and trying to use that to get AD, I really doubt that happens.

As good as AD is, most teams aren't going to let Zion go to get him. Zion would be 19, on a rookie deal, and would sell 5 times as many seats. He's the perfect guy to build a team around. AD is awesome, but as long as his body holds up, I think Zion will be a better player.

« Reply #160 on: March 11, 2019, 12:43:26 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

I hope Danny doesn't get too crazy if competing with another team's offer that includes Zion...I'd rather trade for Zion and give up a little less than trade for AD and give up everything.  By everything I mean Tatum    plus        Brown or Smart      plus      all the picks....

EDIT:  well the above doesn't make sense as the Zion possessing team would either prefer Zion or AD, above any offer the Celtics could put together, unless that team really wanted a SF and not a big, or for some reason the Pels aren't sold on Zion (very unlikely).

So just keep the don't get too crazy Danny part....and discard rest of first paragraph above...

you are on the right idea though.

I am firmly in the camp of not wanting to give up too much for Davis, as I see alot of value in keeping more of the assets and trading for a lesser value.

Kind of a 1+1+1+1 is better than a 3.

And there are centers/pfs out there that could be had for less of a cost that what is rumored for Davis. (albeit lesser centers than Davis, but probably enough with the additional assets to push team over the top)

KAT
Carter Jr
Drummond
Nurkic

to name a couple off the top of my head.

« Reply #161 on: March 11, 2019, 01:01:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The problem is that throughout NBA history, 3 > 1 + 1 + 1 + 1.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #162 on: March 11, 2019, 01:02:49 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Memphis won.. i think they will pass lakers who are tanking as hell and we will get the 9th pick too.. will give ainge the chance to use picks to get higher or get a nice player..

And even if Memphis finishes in '8th' place (lottery ranking), there is a 39.3% chance we will end up with the pick because there is that much combined odds that a lower team leaps into the top 3 and pushes them down to 9th or lower.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #163 on: March 11, 2019, 01:09:12 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
For those of you worried about a team winning the lottery and trying to use that to get AD, I really doubt that happens.

As good as AD is, most teams aren't going to let Zion go to get him. Zion would be 19, on a rookie deal, and would sell 5 times as many seats. He's the perfect guy to build a team around. AD is awesome, but as long as his body holds up, I think Zion will be a better player.

I wouldn't be too certain that the Knicks would not do exactly that (trade Zion for AD), should they get that pick.   Especially if they think that would help them lure Durant and another max FA to the Big Apple.

It's one thing for a fan or even a GM to value a young player like Zion on a rookie deal more than a player like AD already on an expensive contract and due the following year for a max contract and possibly walking.

But if your goal is to lure in a superstar free agent like Durant, they are more likely to want to come play with a veteran like AD than a rookie like Zion.   The NBA is a veteran dominated league and as impressive as Zion is (believe me, I would LOVE to have him in green) he just wouldn't be the same draw to an NBA star that AD would be.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #164 on: March 11, 2019, 01:16:34 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

The problem is that throughout NBA history, 3 > 1 + 1 + 1 + 1.

I'm not opposed to trading for AD...I favored the idea that brought Garnett...who while older than AD was a much more durable player, and true leader. 

What people are talking about giving up for AD is way way more than we gave up for Garnett.  I just want Danny to say no at the point it becomes too ridiculous...and only if there is truly a way of guaranteeing he resigns (or is tradable).