Author Topic: stupid stupid drivers  (Read 8551 times)

Re: stupid stupid drivers
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 10:34:42 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
You should all get one of these.
Nobody carpools anyway  ;)

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 10:47:15 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
just gonna rant for a second here...

driving home from work on 114 in Danvers, I'm behind a Hummer, who swerves into oncoming traffic, almost kills someone, swerves back - the person she almost killed honks, she blares her horn back like its their fault they were in her path of destruction, I'm like whoa

so I kinda follow her, she's swerving a bit, I think she must be a little drunk or something, get behind her at a red light, look in her sideview - she has a freaking chihuaha (sp) on her lap...

some people should not be allowed to drive or procreate...both should require liscences...

for good measure she went straight on a left turn only lane... and she had no idea how dumb she was I'm sure...

That made me think of this clip from Family Guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08XAa0LM7cA

But you're right.  There are a lot of people out there who have no business with a driver's license.  They really need to make the road test a little tougher...I'll also vote yes on the procreation license.  8)

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 12:17:30 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
I bought a brand new 2008 Honda Civic Si back in October.  Had it for a lil over a month and babied the hell out of it.  While I was in LA, I was stopped at a redlight, behind 8 other freakin cars, for nearly a minute.  All of a sudden I felt my car jerk forward.  I know I didn't stall cause it wasn't in gear.  Turns out there was this teenaged kid driving his parents Ford Escape, texting on his phone, who happened to just rear ended me.

You're getting a tommy point because:

A: I've had almost that exact same think happen to me.

B: That's my new favorite username on Celticsblog. Awesome.

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 12:54:08 PM »

Offline SquishPCfriar

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
  • It's hammer time
I got a good story for you guys.  Senior year of high school, my girlfriend and I were driving to the mall at night to meet up with my parents and have dinner with them.  I was driving a 2004 honda accord coupe at the time.  We stop at a red light right before you get to Westfarms mall in CT and we were sitting for about 10 seconds before some guy rear ended me at about 30 miles an hour.  My girlfriend and I were totally fine and i got out of the car and told the guy who hit me to pull up to a Wendy's about 50 yards away because we were completely holding up traffic.  We pull up to Wendy's and i immediately get out of the car to see if there was any damage and surprisingly there was not even a scratch.  I go up to the guy in his car and he is this creepy old man who was probably 60 years old and looked like the creepy butler from scary movie 2.  The guy was apologizing non stop and kept saying that he wasn't even suppose to be behind the wheel of a car and that he was "late for thanksgiving dinner".  It was probably 3 weeks after thanksgiving when this happened so i knew something was wrong with this guy.  Then he pulls each of his legs out of the car, opens his back door without standing, and starts assembling a wheel chair.  The guy started to get real upset saying that he didn't know what to do because he didn't want to miss thanksgiving dinner and his breaks weren't functioning so I immediately just got into my car and left.  Who the hell lets someone like this get behind the wheel of a car.  The guy clearly had mental issues and he couldn't even walk.  kinda messed up

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 01:14:56 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I got a good story for you guys.  Senior year of high school, my girlfriend and I were driving to the mall at night to meet up with my parents and have dinner with them.  I was driving a 2004 honda accord coupe at the time.  We stop at a red light right before you get to Westfarms mall in CT and we were sitting for about 10 seconds before some guy rear ended me at about 30 miles an hour.  My girlfriend and I were totally fine and i got out of the car and told the guy who hit me to pull up to a Wendy's about 50 yards away because we were completely holding up traffic.  We pull up to Wendy's and i immediately get out of the car to see if there was any damage and surprisingly there was not even a scratch.  I go up to the guy in his car and he is this creepy old man who was probably 60 years old and looked like the creepy butler from scary movie 2.  The guy was apologizing non stop and kept saying that he wasn't even suppose to be behind the wheel of a car and that he was "late for thanksgiving dinner".  It was probably 3 weeks after thanksgiving when this happened so i knew something was wrong with this guy.  Then he pulls each of his legs out of the car, opens his back door without standing, and starts assembling a wheel chair.  The guy started to get real upset saying that he didn't know what to do because he didn't want to miss thanksgiving dinner and his breaks weren't functioning so I immediately just got into my car and left.  Who the hell lets someone like this get behind the wheel of a car.  The guy clearly had mental issues and he couldn't even walk.  kinda messed up

Is it at all possible that old guy thought to himself "How am I going to get out of this? Oh I know, I'll act like a lunatic and pull my wifes wheelchair out. That will freak these young people out"

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 01:39:24 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
just gonna rant for a second here...

driving home from work on 114 in Danvers, I'm behind a Hummer, who swerves into oncoming traffic, almost kills someone, swerves back - the person she almost killed honks, she blares her horn back like its their fault they were in her path of destruction, I'm like whoa

so I kinda follow her, she's swerving a bit, I think she must be a little drunk or something, get behind her at a red light, look in her sideview - she has a freaking chihuaha (sp) on her lap...

some people should not be allowed to drive or procreate...both should require liscences...

for good measure she went straight on a left turn only lane... and she had no idea how dumb she was I'm sure...

sorry, that was actually me and i apologize.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 01:59:48 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
My wife's been run off the road twice in the last year. Once she had to swerve into the opposite lane to avoid being whacked by someone who failed to stop at a stop sign.  Thankfully no one was coming the other way.  She had the kids the car for one of them and was pretty shaken.

I've had a couple of circumstances where the only thing that saved my life was my horn.

One rule I try to apply to myself at busy intersections:  green doesn't mean go, green means look and make sure no one's running a red light, then go
Yup

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 02:10:42 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108

Can we please get rid of every single rotary in Massachusetts?

Ah...come on, Nick.

You don't like the adventure that is navigating a rotary? A few of my favorites are the one in Powderhouse rotary in Somerville, and the two on the Fresh Pond Parkway in Cambridge.  Your life is clearly in someone else's hands when driving through those. 

Only certain people should be allowed near rotaries and out-of-staters are not one of them.

Forgive my ignorance but is a rotary the same thing as a roundabout or traffic circle? 

If so, I know what an adventure it can be.  Here in Italy it is everyman for himself,real scary stuff.  In fact just yesterday on my way back from work a massive cement mixer truck flew (he must of been doing 40) into the roundabout without yielding, just cutting all the traffic in the circle off.  All the vehicles came to an abrupt stop with multiple near collisions.  Just lucky the everyone was paying close attention.     

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 02:24:46 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

Ah...come on, Nick.

You don't like the adventure that is navigating a rotary? A few of my favorites are the one in Powderhouse rotary in Somerville, and the two on the Fresh Pond Parkway in Cambridge.  Your life is clearly in someone else's hands when driving through those. 

Only certain people should be allowed near rotaries and out-of-staters are not one of them.

Forgive my ignorance but is a rotary the same thing as a roundabout or traffic circle? 

If so, I know what an adventure it can be.  Here in Italy it is everyman for himself,real scary stuff.  In fact just yesterday on my way back from work a massive cement mixer truck flew (he must of been doing 40) into the roundabout without yielding, just cutting all the traffic in the circle off.  All the vehicles came to an abrupt stop with multiple near collisions.  Just lucky the everyone was paying close attention.     

Yeah, they're the same thing.

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 02:26:19 PM »

Online celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I hate slow drivers. I mean, I'm all for driving below the speed limit, but when someone drives 20 on a 35 mph speed limit. I hate it when I'm behind a slow driver.

If I might add to that. I hate when someone cuts me off when I'm on a main st, with no one behind me, than proceeds to drive 20 in a 35 mph zone. I mean, I really hate that. I can almost understand raod rage at that moment.

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 02:32:37 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup

Ah...come on, Nick.

Yeah, they're the same thing.

There are a couple of major problems with the rotaries in Massachusetts.

1) most of the country doesn't use rotaries so no one's sure what to do with them

2) I have been told that the parts of the country that do use rotaries have the traffic on the rotary yield to oncoming traffic, whereas Mass.  rotaries do the opposite.

It is, for the most part, a free for all. 
Yup

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 03:20:21 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

One rule I try to apply to myself at busy intersections:  green doesn't mean go, green means look and make sure no one's running a red light, then go

especially at a light that just turned green, others trying to make it through yellow end up going through red and potentially killing others - I actually have my psychology students monitor different intersections in town to watch driving patterns (rolling stops at a stop sign, illegal turns on red lights, slowing vs. speeding on yellows, etc.) - its pretty interesting to see how few people actually consistently follow the rules of the road - yellow means speed up to most people, I've actually been honked at for slowing down!

we are starting to live in a society that is so technologically advanced that the humans in it can't keep up... cell phones, while awesome for an emergency (as ss3.0 said) are also about the easiest way to be distracted while driving, especially through text messaging, yet so many people do it. I hope someday we have cars that just automatically take us from a to b and take all the work and injury potential out of driving...it'd be fun to leave home, take a nap and end up at work with no fear of imminent death from the other robotic cars around us
When you love life, life loves you right back