Author Topic: Boston needs one more good big man to be elite  (Read 4651 times)

Boston needs one more good big man to be elite
« on: November 21, 2017, 02:35:04 PM »

Offline dweeks7

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
I was thinking what would make Boston an elite team that could challenge for a championship. In my opinion several thing need to happen.

1) Brown and Tatum need to continue to mature and become all-stars which they are doing.
2) Need Kyrie to be a legitimate MVP candidate which he has been doing the last few games
3) Get a really good big man that can be a rim protector, rebound, and shoot 3 pointers. Horford is good but he will be winding down once Tatum and Brown become all-stars

I was wondering how this could happen or who they could get. If they somehow lucked into a top 3 lottery pick then Andre Ayton would be the perfect piece to make this team a championship team.

I don't see that happening so maybe Danny can trade some of the assets for a good big man like Willie Cauley Stein or someone similar to him. He can't shoot 3 pointers yet but he is a good pick and roll defender and shot-blocker.

I'm not sure how Danny will go about getting this team over the hump but with Gordon back next year and a more mature team i think we would be one good big man away from being an elite team on the warriors level.

I was wondering if anyone agrees and if so what move could Danny make to put this team in elite status?

P.S. In my opinion Tatum and Brown are going to be on the same level as Embid and Simmons. I know that is crazy but I think it will happen.   

Re: Boston needs one more good big man to be elite
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 02:40:41 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
If you’re talking about years into the future...I agree. They’ll likely need to acquire an above average big, I would guess that’s what our next lotto pick will be used on.

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 02:43:07 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
WCS doesn't move the needle.

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 02:44:05 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I'd say the Celtics need someone who can come off the bench and get buckets.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 02:51:04 PM »

Offline dweeks7

• Jordan Walsh

I think you are right but I could not think of a really good big that Boston would have a shot at.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 02:54:04 PM »

Offline dweeks7

• Jordan Walsh

I think you are right but I could not think of a really good big that Boston would have a shot at.

It just hit me who would be an incredible fit with Boston right now. Mark Gasol would make this team elite in my opinion. There are a couple of reasons this probably won't happen. Gasol is 32 years old and I don't think Memphis would trade him and the cap space would be a problem.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 02:57:23 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Time Travel:
If DA did what I told him to do and drafted MYLES TURNER...well we would not be having this convo. We could have done KO plus the 16th for their pick and etc.

btw we could have gotten the 11th pick had we also done what I said and lost 3 more games.

BUT I am very happy with Brown and Tatum

Also, another big in the same draft can be had cheaply as a reclamation project and a guy who has a 7'6'' wingspan and 9'3'' standing reach....OKAFOR
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:03:46 PM by Future Celtics Owner »

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 02:59:52 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

It just hit me who would be an incredible fit with Boston right now. Mark Gasol would make this team elite in my opinion. There are a couple of reasons this probably won't happen. Gasol is 32 years old and I don't think Memphis would trade him and the cap space would be a problem.

IMO Marc Gasol is redundant with Al Horford.  Don't like that fit.

I do think the Celtics will need a big when Al declines, but I think they're solid at that position for now.  I think the more immediate need is a player who can give us some semblance of consistent offensive production off of the bench - preferably a guard.  A healthy Hayward would have solved that issue, but ifs and buts...

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 03:02:54 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
No, Boston needs a guard. Will MIL be willing to part with Brogdon these days?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 03:18:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Marco Belinelli makes the most sense to me. Hoping Hawks would be willing to give him up for a 2nd and trade exception.  Great shooter, and his defense is decent enough.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 03:27:44 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
They refused to include him in a deal for Bledsoe so I doubt the Celtics have anything that would entice them.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 03:42:53 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
A guy like Collins from ATL would be nice. 

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 04:22:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
They refused to include him in a deal for Bledsoe so I doubt the Celtics have anything that would entice them.
Yet, they've buried him on the bench and he barely does anything for them now. Perhaps things might change by the DL.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 04:29:19 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I'd say the Celtics need someone who can come off the bench and get buckets.

Marcus Morris would be great for that.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 04:37:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think people are going to be so surprised with how good this team is going to be just with one more year of development out of Tatum and Brown and the addition of Hayward. Next year this team will be an elite team on both ends of the court and moving Morris to a sixth man position off the bench is going to fix a lot of the bench scoring problems.

A big will eventually be needed but I have to think Ainge is going to address that with the LA/Sac pick. That gives the team a year or more to develop him behind Horford. I also think Horford will resign for his last contract at a bargain rate and will take on the vet off the bench role that Iguodala has with GSW.