Author Topic: Rob ain’t right  (Read 6181 times)

Rob ain’t right
« on: February 04, 2023, 11:40:41 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Rob Williams has not looked like the explosive Time Lord since returning from surgery. He can still block shots, but relies on his length rather than his explosive leaping ability, which has not returned. His lateral movement seems okay. Just has lost a lot of height in his jump.

Several times last night there were perfect “Lob Rob” opportunities that his teammates ignored, and he did not instigate. It is like a mutual understanding that he can’t do that like the old days.

Look at tape of Rob last season pre-injury vs now. His lift is considerably less. His rebounding numbers seem to have declined as well although I have not looked at the numbers.

Don’t know if this is permanent or Rob is holding back to be sure he is healthy for the playoffs.

This is our biggest obstacle to winning it all.

Have you noticed this? Thoughts?

Re: Rob ain’t right
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 11:50:45 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
I think that maybe he’s being a bit more careful with his body, but I haven’t noticed much of a drop off. Joe has him playing about 23 mins per game this season vs nearly 30mpg last year. If you look at his per 36 he’s currently at 12.7pts and 12.5rebs. Last season those numbers were 12.1pts and 11.5rebs. I thought he looked really good vs the Nets the other day. Didn’t have a great game last night, though.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 12:04:26 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He doesn't look the same but this could be him going forward. I still feel he is important and impactful at 80% of what he was.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 12:29:18 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I’d like to see the one he blocked into the second tier yesterday. Not only was the timing great, but thought he got off the floor quick and strong.

His blocks per game are down per 36, but I wonder if he’s trending up on that. I think it’s a good indicator of his leaping quickness and strength which is what makes him unique.

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 12:42:46 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
He's saving it for the playoffs.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 01:11:41 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
You mean a guy that is constantly hurt doesn't look the same after all the injuries.  Shocking
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 02:47:45 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
You mean a guy that is constantly hurt doesn't look the same after all the injuries.  Shocking

True but he’s 25 years old and while it isn’t shocking that an oft-injured guy isn’t 100%, it’s not impossible for someone Rob’s age to be resilient.  I see a lot of positive watching him. I also can’t watch him without worrying every time he leaps, lands, dives…

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 04:18:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
That's why CBS has to add another big. Insurance for Horford/Timelord.

No way Kornet and Griffin are playing meaningful minutes in the playoffs (nor should they)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 04:31:16 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

No way Kornet and Griffin are playing meaningful minutes in the playoffs (nor should they)

Yes - Brad is going to add front court depth. I’d bet my left arm on it.

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 04:47:42 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610

Kinda like Anthony Davis, right?

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 05:01:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yes - Brad is going to add front court depth. I’d bet my left arm on it.
um, I think after the deadline passes with nothing happening, you should get used to people sarcastically calling you Lefty.  ;)

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2023, 07:24:30 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
I actually brought this up in one of the previous game threads and some guys agreed (me included) that Joe’s schemes may not be maximizing Rob’s strengths. On the offensive end for example, we’ve been settling for so much threes that Rob’s lob threat hasn’t been utilized a lot. We do see it once in a while. Maybe Smart’s return would change that? On the defensive end, it really gets confusing as sometimes Rob is switched to defend the guards outside the paint. He’s not really defending the rim as he used to i think? I mean the defense is still good, but gone are the ridiculous shot blocking…though we saw him swat one to the stands yesterday.

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 09:52:40 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Kinda like Anthony Davis, right?
yeah.  Imagine how good Davis would be if he wasn't injured all the time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2023, 10:52:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Rob's physical decline was pretty obvious in tonight's game vs the Hornets.

John Zannis of CLNS is basically saying the same thing. No lift.  No more alley oops.  Something is very off with him.  Celtics are concerned, which is why they tried to trade for Poeltl.  Even offered a first round pick with Payton and Gallo. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 11:02:17 PM by footey »

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2023, 11:04:34 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
He’s playing on a sprained ankle. Still managed to get 16 boards tonight, though. Also, they did not offer a first round pick for Poeltl.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.