Author Topic: The Superstar Ascension of Jaylen Brown  (Read 17235 times)

Re: The Superstar Ascension of Jaylen Brown
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2021, 12:08:53 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
The assists are still quite low for a guy scoring as much as Jaylen is.

Feels a bit like looking for imperfections in a stunning bronze statue or something, but that remains the next big improvement for Jaylen to make. 

This is a good point by Kungu on Twitter:

A.K
@Kungu_NBA

Quick thread on Jaylen Brown:

We found out Jaylen was asked by C's staff to shoot more 3's on 3/22/21. Before then he was shooting 6.5 3PA at 38.8%, since then, he's shooting 8.3 on 42.6%.
8:41 AM · Apr 29, 2021·Twitter Web App

@Kungu_NBA

However, prior, he was averaging 3.9 apg, and now that is down to 2.2apg. Makes sense considering his playmaking reads in mid-post were where he showed most growth as a playmaker.

I don’t mind the reduced assists. I think if Jaylen is attracting a crowd, the team is doing him a disservice. JB is an elite finisher, wherever you put him on the floor and so I think that’s what he should be focusing in on.

I’d rather JB catch it on the move/already starting his drive or catch it when he’s ready to let it fly from the outside. I find that when JB has to create, he usually doesn’t generate easy or in-rhythm looks from his ISO’s.

That said, the “skill” I wish he really develops more is off-ball movement and cutting, rather than his playmaking.
- LilRip

Re: The Superstar Ascension of Jaylen Brown
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2021, 02:27:02 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The assists are still quite low for a guy scoring as much as Jaylen is.

Feels a bit like looking for imperfections in a stunning bronze statue or something, but that remains the next big improvement for Jaylen to make. 

This is a good point by Kungu on Twitter:

A.K
@Kungu_NBA

Quick thread on Jaylen Brown:

We found out Jaylen was asked by C's staff to shoot more 3's on 3/22/21. Before then he was shooting 6.5 3PA at 38.8%, since then, he's shooting 8.3 on 42.6%.
8:41 AM · Apr 29, 2021·Twitter Web App

@Kungu_NBA

However, prior, he was averaging 3.9 apg, and now that is down to 2.2apg. Makes sense considering his playmaking reads in mid-post were where he showed most growth as a playmaker.

I don’t mind the reduced assists. I think if Jaylen is attracting a crowd, the team is doing him a disservice. JB is an elite finisher, wherever you put him on the floor and so I think that’s what he should be focusing in on.

I’d rather JB catch it on the move/already starting his drive or catch it when he’s ready to let it fly from the outside. I find that when JB has to create, he usually doesn’t generate easy or in-rhythm looks from his ISO’s.

That said, the “skill” I wish he really develops more is off-ball movement and cutting, rather than his playmaking.

The C's have some of the worst ball handlers in the league for hitting cutters. The 3 primary ball handlers, Tatum, Walker and Smart all can make nice passes, but they all are limited to passing at certain points when they expect reads on their moves. They don't pass opportunistically.

I see Jaylen and others cutting to spots all the time. They rarely get the ball.