Author Topic: Irving again throws young teammates under the bus  (Read 7129 times)

Re: Irving again throws young teammates under the bus
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2019, 06:51:10 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1491
I don't think what he said is a huge deal.  But I really wish Kyrie would just stop talking about the younger guys to the press.  What is there to gain from it, other than making things worse? 

With the less than stellar locker room that we have had + Kyrie's walkback on his previous comments about the young guys it just seems like Irving should stop talking. 

Talk to your teammates in private and let your play do your talking for you.

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2019, 06:57:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2019/02/20/kyrie-irving-free-agency-espn/amp

“We basically have a bunch of young men in our locker room that feel like they’re capable of doing a lot more than they’re doing,” Irving told ESPN’s Rachel Nichols. “That’s OK, but there’s a maturity you have to have, there’s a professionalism you have to really showcase every single day. That’s what the great ones do.”

“Terry Rozier, he played in the playoffs, he did extremely well,” Irving said. “Coming back, that’s a natural competition that me and him have. It is what it is. No one wants to say it, but I will. It’s part of their growth. When you have winning in mind, then you got to do what it takes, but you got to understand your teammates.”

Does Irving understand the team made the ECF last season without him or Hayward??

Why does he feel the need that he has to teach them ?

Did anybody else see this issue with AL and young guys as they made their way to the ECF?

We don't need really need an article about a 4 minute YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=77&v=ir7AT-BFcSI

“We basically have a bunch of young men in our locker room that feel like they’re capable of doing a lot more than they’re doing. That’s OK, but there’s a maturity you have to have, there’s a professionalism you have to really showcase every single day. That’s what the great ones do.”

When I listen to that interview, I think Kyrie's including himself in that quote, so he's not calling out anybody there (at least the way I interpret it.).

And there's a sentence bridging the 2 quotes conveniently missing that adds more context.

"I initially didn't play the minutes I wanted to play, I'm 26 years old heading into my prime, like why do I have to wait for anybody?  Terry Rozier, he played in the playoffs, he did extremely well, coming back, that’s a natural competition that me and him have. It is what it is. No one wants to say it, but I will. It’s part of their growth. When you have winning in mind, then you got to do what it takes, but you got to understand your teammates.”

When I hear the whole interview, I hear "we as a team need to be mature and professional every single day to be great.  We have a locker room full of young talented guys who want to play more minutes and have a bigger role.  I want to play  more.  Terry wants to play more.  We all have to understand each other."

Irving could have worded it better, but I don't hear anything negative in that interview.

We basically have a bunch young men. Including myself

Did he say it like that?

It always seems to be us vets (do no wrong) vs  young guys (careless, not at my level)

All this does is divide, not unite

He literally uses himself and not playing as many minutes as he wanted early on as an example after that part. Basic comprehension.
Basic comprehension goes out the window when it doesn’t fit the narrative, especially in threads around here. You should know that by now RJ ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2019, 07:22:31 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3019
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm not saying Kyrie is necessarily wrong with everything he's saying but I really wish Ainge and co. could maybe ask him to stop doing these type of interviews so often now. He really isn't helping anyone with his statements regardless what he might think, not even himself. We need to team to be focused going forward and for everyone to be both engaged and also confident (which means Kyrie needs to stop indirectly calling out the young guys in public)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2019, 07:28:37 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
I'm not saying Kyrie is necessarily wrong with everything he's saying but I really wish Ainge and co. could maybe ask him to stop doing these type of interviews so often now. He really isn't helping anyone with his statements regardless what he might think, not even himself. We need to team to be focused going forward and for everyone to be both engaged and also confident (which means Kyrie needs to stop indirectly calling out the young guys in public)

exactly.  said the same thing above.

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2019, 08:05:27 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
same people

same haters

meh  ::)

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2019, 08:21:06 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2019/02/20/kyrie-irving-free-agency-espn/amp

“We basically have a bunch of young men in our locker room that feel like they’re capable of doing a lot more than they’re doing,” Irving told ESPN’s Rachel Nichols. “That’s OK, but there’s a maturity you have to have, there’s a professionalism you have to really showcase every single day. That’s what the great ones do.”

“Terry Rozier, he played in the playoffs, he did extremely well,” Irving said. “Coming back, that’s a natural competition that me and him have. It is what it is. No one wants to say it, but I will. It’s part of their growth. When you have winning in mind, then you got to do what it takes, but you got to understand your teammates.”

Does Irving understand the team made the ECF last season without him or Hayward??

Why does he feel the need that he has to teach them ?

Did anybody else see this issue with AL and young guys as they made their way to the ECF?

Do you understand that we would have gone to the finals with Irving?

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2019, 08:22:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Listened to the interview and the way he said it and the two missing sentences between the quotes in the OP and I think this is all a lot of nothing if you take it in context.

I mean, he isn't wrong. And Kyrie has a long, weird way of expressing himself that isn't always in his best interest.

Overall, much ado about nothing.

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2019, 08:30:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Listened to the interview and the way he said it and the two missing sentences between the quotes in the OP and I think this is all a lot of nothing if you take it in context.

I mean, he isn't wrong. And Kyrie has a long, weird way of expressing himself that isn't always in his best interest.

Overall, much ado about nothing.
Half the time I wonder if the people who make a big ruckus about these kind of things even watch the interview, or just read excerpts.

The convenient leaving out of the linking sentences is funny.

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2019, 08:39:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't think what he said is a huge deal.  But I really wish Kyrie would just stop talking about the younger guys to the press.  What is there to gain from it, other than making things worse? 

With the less than stellar locker room that we have had + Kyrie's walkback on his previous comments about the young guys it just seems like Irving should stop talking. 

Exactly

How hard it is this to understand?

Common sense

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2019, 08:45:01 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson

Exactly

How hard it is this to understand?

Common sense

Just to be clear, I don't consider this latest stuff from Kyrie as "throwing someone under the bus".
But to me it is counter-productive at this point in the season.

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2019, 08:59:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Celts made the ECF two seasons in a row now.  And Rozier and Brown have been part of both. Rozier is freaking 24 and only 2 years younger than know it all Irving

But Kyrie is acting like they have ways to go?  Maturity?

I doubt this team goes far in the playoffs.  Its just not possible when a locker room is divided like this
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:07:00 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2019, 09:03:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Celts made the ECF two seasons in a row now.  And Rozier and Brown have been part of both. Rozier is freaking 24 and only 2 years younger than know it all Irving
... what? 2 years younger, but incredibly less experienced than an All-NBA champion guard. Not to mention drastically worse.

With Kyrie we make the Finals last season

« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2019, 09:04:51 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think he says things without thinking too much and then he realizes he didn’t say things exactly the way he meant them and tried to fix them and creates even a bigger mess... at this point we shouldn’t care whether he stays or not. If he wins us a game or two in the playoffs fine... if he doesn’t win us a game or two in the playoffs we might be better off without him
I think all of Kyrie doubters will sing a different tune in the playoffs. I vividly remember the 2017 conference finals against the Cavs. He averaged 26 points (alongside Lebron and Love who averaged 30 and 22) on insane splits - 62/50/92. And that was against Bradley and Smart, who are no slouches on defense. He can slice up any defense.

No offense but you are a win goldigger

So basically he can say anything, act however, ruffle feathers..basically do no wrong

Because he is a playoff warrior?

Umm no thanks
What does that even mean? I never said that he can do anything, I just think you guys are spending way too much time analyzing what he said and what he may or may not have meant. You sound like my girlfriend. And yes, players like him, a 'playoff warrior, dont grow on trees, and every title teams needs at least one. That Cavs team last year was reaaaally bad and we couldnt bring it home against them, with HCA. We're not going far without him and if that means we have to tolerate *some* stupid things that he says, so be it. It's like dating a supermodel - you are aware she is probably not very smart or nice, but you accept that because her beauty outweighs it.

You must be jokin?

Well this is why I dont get where you are coming from... I would never do that
It's just an analogy...
How about addressing my other points? Like the inability to close out a really bad team.

Did last season playoffs not count?

Did the team not get to the ecf? If it had a healthy Hayward ... Celts make it to the finals

Kyrie thus far this season as the ultimate closer is like 500. Yes vs the Raptors. No vs GSW. No vs Lakers. Etc.

That game winning shot vs gsw was done once.  Cant keep using this to declare Irving as a ultimate closer

Robert Horry, Michael Jordan, Kevin Durant, Ginobelli are ultimate closers. Kyrie not just yet

He's been one of the top 2-3 clutch players in the league all year. And he was last year too.

This year in clutch minutes he's averaging 46/4/9 in per-36 terms, shooting 54/38/92. That's a higher scoring rate than anyone else in the league except Harden, whose shooting numbers are much worse at 42/30/82.

Whatever you want to say about him, the dude delivers when it matters.

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2019, 09:08:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
... what? 2 years younger, but incredibly less experienced than an All-NBA champion guard. Not to mention drastically worse.

With Kyrie we make the Finals last season

And it is justifiable for him to talk down on them/try to teach them on live television?

Puhahha... what a great leader

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2019, 09:11:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I think he says things without thinking too much and then he realizes he didn’t say things exactly the way he meant them and tried to fix them and creates even a bigger mess... at this point we shouldn’t care whether he stays or not. If he wins us a game or two in the playoffs fine... if he doesn’t win us a game or two in the playoffs we might be better off without him
I think all of Kyrie doubters will sing a different tune in the playoffs. I vividly remember the 2017 conference finals against the Cavs. He averaged 26 points (alongside Lebron and Love who averaged 30 and 22) on insane splits - 62/50/92. And that was against Bradley and Smart, who are no slouches on defense. He can slice up any defense.

No offense but you are a win goldigger

So basically he can say anything, act however, ruffle feathers..basically do no wrong

Because he is a playoff warrior?

Umm no thanks
What does that even mean? I never said that he can do anything, I just think you guys are spending way too much time analyzing what he said and what he may or may not have meant. You sound like my girlfriend. And yes, players like him, a 'playoff warrior, dont grow on trees, and every title teams needs at least one. That Cavs team last year was reaaaally bad and we couldnt bring it home against them, with HCA. We're not going far without him and if that means we have to tolerate *some* stupid things that he says, so be it. It's like dating a supermodel - you are aware she is probably not very smart or nice, but you accept that because her beauty outweighs it.

You must be jokin?

Well this is why I dont get where you are coming from... I would never do that
It's just an analogy...
How about addressing my other points? Like the inability to close out a really bad team.

Did last season playoffs not count?

Did the team not get to the ecf? If it had a healthy Hayward ... Celts make it to the finals

Kyrie thus far this season as the ultimate closer is like 500. Yes vs the Raptors. No vs GSW. No vs Lakers. Etc.

That game winning shot vs gsw was done once.  Cant keep using this to declare Irving as a ultimate closer

Robert Horry, Michael Jordan, Kevin Durant, Ginobelli are ultimate closers. Kyrie not just yet

He's been one of the top 2-3 clutch players in the league all year. And he was last year too.

This year in clutch minutes he's averaging 46/4/9 in per-36 terms, shooting 54/38/92. That's a higher scoring rate than anyone else in the league except Harden, whose shooting numbers are much worse at 42/30/82.

Whatever you want to say about him, the dude delivers when it matters.

He hasnt done jack s/^÷ in a celts uniform

Injured last season and missed game 7 due to a so called nose job

Stop bowing to him until he can deliver for the city

But working together with his teammates would be a nice start. Not thinking you are the s^#&# ... is a humble start