Poll

If Celtics landed the #1 NBA drat pick, would you trade it for DeMarcus Cousins?

Yes, even though Okafor could be chosen instead
63 (51.2%)
No, I'd rather gamble on Okafor (or other draft pick) rather than trade for Cousins
60 (48.8%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: If Celtics landed the 2015 #1 draft pick, would u trade it for DeMarcus Cousins?  (Read 64469 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
If Celtics landed the #1 NBA drat pick, would you trade it for DeMarcus Cousins?

*Entering talks as the best big man in the NBA.
*Under contract until 2018 (3 more seasons) and on the young side of 24 years old.
*Reasonable to good chance of becoming franchise player in many experts eyes.
*Attitude questions and selfishness concerns grow

It's a tough decision with a VERY sour taste if things don't work out perfectly- but risks like this are often taken in championship team building like when ac Randolph was traded to the Grizzlies.
 I think I ultimately would take this risk and do this trade. With our locker room and Danny's ability with free agents and deal making I think we'd be one of the best chances of turning him into a superstar. Bring KG out of retirement as an assistant coach and build around Smart and Cousins (and Sully/Olynyk/Young).

On the other hand, I can see why some would want to steer clear and keep this a ground up rebuild that focuses on building through Brad stevens coaching and development and avoids Cousins' potentially deadly locker room issues.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'd rather have Okafor.

No knuckleheads.

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I'd take Okafor.

I don't think we'll be a whole lot better next season (record wise) and Boogie wants to be on a winning team.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Unless I thought Cousins was an absolute cancer, I don't see how you don't make that trade. He's averaging 24/12, plays good defense, can pass the ball (3 assists per game), shoots FTs very well and so forth. The guy has improved his game every year. You'd thank the gods if your #1 pick put up those kind of stats.

Also, most attitude problems - though not all - tend to diminish with maturity. The Kings franchise tends to be a mess in the back office, so that probably doesn't help Cousins either. Put him with a player's coach like Brad and a strong front office and he'd probably be fine.

So you get Cousins, sign another good FA (or trade for a player with the fifty billion other picks the Celtics have) and you're instantly competitive for a top playoff spot in the East. When you pair him with solid guys like Sully at PF, you make a deal for a scoring SF, Bradley can gamble on defense again at SG with Cousins behind him and Smart plays lockdown defense...that's a tough team to beat. Never mind having a guy like KO off the bench and letting Young round into the scoring assassin that everyone believes he can be.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Yes -- Cousins more proven player. Has become good defender. More well-rounded on offense.

Okafor is much more of a question mark than Cousins is.

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
No I wouldn't and I am a HUGE Boogie fan, but I thought he had got his maturity problems figured out and he hasn't. When he was fresh in the league I gave him a pass because of his age and situation.

However, HE signed an extension with that train wreck of a team and HE is the undisputed best player and leader now. He has no right in my mind to complain about being stuck with that franchise, it was his choice.

He's 25, time to start acting like it. Immense talent but I am truly afraid he's going to waste it away feeling sorry for himself.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Cousins can't even handle Marcus Smart's defense, can you imagine how he would break down under the pressure of the playoffs?

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Yes. Okafor's ceiling is Cousin's offense with worse defense due to his lack of athleticism. No one can sell me that he'll change that. Just look at Kelly O, who has worked his butt off to only marginal improvement and Sully, who hasn't worked at all and still has a large behind. Cousins is also locked up and young (24). In fact, age-wise, Cousins fits more with our current group (AB, Crowder, Smart, etc.).

Take into account, however, that I have a great deal of faith in Stevens's ability to corral Cousins. Cousins's biggest issue in the league has been his weak mentality combined with even weaker organizational stability (the Kings have been sold, protested, been through 3 coaches, almost moved, etc.). I feel that coming to the Celtics with a united front office and a players' coach would do wonders for him.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:41:27 AM by GetLucky »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yes, especially if Sacramento would take back Wallace's contract.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Yes, twice on Sundays.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I don't understand how a Celtics fan can honestly say they'd want Cousins. 8 Cousins wouldn't equal a KG. I just don't see a player like Cousins surviving in Boston. not after that game against us where his body language and intelligence shined and showed what kind of mentality he has. these were things that will ultimately define a player when things aren't going your way.

no thanks, he has no heart.

fitzhickey

Yes x 10. I think Cousins "mental problems" are well overblown, plus he is basically Okafor's ceiling just with better defence than Okafor will ever achieve.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I would take him. Especially if I have vets to help him channel his emotion. He is not a dumb player he makes a ton of smart plays. He is skilled and capable. He has a killer instinct as well. Coaching and teammates are important  though as he loses his cool way too much. He reminds me of Sheed. When Cousins has it together he is a top ten player.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
would be hard to say no.  only question I have is how he'd handle coming to another losing environment.  unless pulls off some surprising deals to put another couple of very good players with him, this team will struggle for the length of his contract. 

the selling point of Okafor is that he'd be developing right along with the rest of the talent and we'd be surrounding him with other good developing talent so that when he's coming off his rookie deal, we should be on the upswing in the standings.

Offline mikestar

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
In a second