Author Topic: Tom Brady officially said goodbye to New England  (Read 27582 times)

Re: Tom Brady officially said goodbye to New England
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2020, 07:37:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
In a span of about 6 weeks, we lost these guys...  :'(

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2020, 07:40:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
I love Tom and will always appreciate what he did in New England, but hoping at this point he totally crashes and burns. What problem could be so big that he can't come back to New England? If it is about money, then he can go screw himself (in the short term anyway). It's not like he isn't one of the wealthiest men alive as it is. If it's about proving himself in another venue, it's not like there's going to be a true gauge. He is super-old (for an NFL player) - it'll be more miraculous if he is successful than if he is not. If the Pats simply won't have him back (doesn't seem to be the case), then I retract everything I've said.

Joe Montana told him months ago not to do it - that it would be a mistake. I hope we all see that Montana was right.

Brady has nothing left to prove and he should've gone out on top but I guess that's his decision. The only one that I remember going out on top was Rocky Marciano ...

« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2020, 07:42:40 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156

With Betts and Tom Brady both gone, is Jayson Tatum the most prolific athlete in Boston now?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2020, 07:53:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'll say this about the Pats -- the heart and soul of the team, the guys that give the team its identity, are guys like Devin McCourty, Matt Slater, Dante Hightower, and of course the Coach, Belichick.

I feel like pretty much the entire offense will need to be rebuilt, but you have to feel good about the future of the team given the infrastructure that is in place.

To some extend I feel like there's been a debate over whether the Pats were ultimately more Tom's team or a team defined by Bill and "the Patriot Way."

We now have our answer, and it means that the Pats have a chance to remain competitive for years to come instead of sliding into oblivion with Tom's departure.

Granted, there were reasons to think the same for the Spurs following Tim Duncan's retirement, and they've gradually slid into irrelevance the last few years.  Maybe they should have just hit the reset button instead of trying to hold on.  But the differences between roster building in the NFL and the NBA may mean that it makes more sense for the Pats to value culture and infrastructure over individual players.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2020, 07:56:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I love Tom and will always appreciate what he did in New England, but hoping at this point he totally crashes and burns. What problem could be so big that he can't come back to New England? If it is about money, then he can go screw himself (in the short term anyway). It's not like he isn't one of the wealthiest men alive as it is. If it's about proving himself in another venue, it's not like there's going to be a true gauge. He is super-old (for an NFL player) - it'll be more miraculous if he is successful than if he is not. If the Pats simply won't have him back (doesn't seem to be the case), then I retract everything I've said.

Joe Montana told him months ago not to do it - that it would be a mistake. I hope we all see that Montana was right.
Yeah, totally with you. Name on the front is more important than the one on the back.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2020, 08:04:26 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

With Betts and Tom Brady both gone, is Jayson Tatum the most prolific athlete in Boston now?
No there are 3 hockey players I'd put in front of Tatum.

« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2020, 08:07:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I know that there's a solid contingent of Boston area people for whom the Bruins matter a lot and there are several very popular Bruins players.

(personally I've never been able to make myself care about hockey unless the Bruins are already in a deep playoff run)

With that said, I don't think there's any question that the guy with the biggest national profile in Boston sports now is Jayson Tatum, especially if you are thinking in terms of potential for becoming an even bigger star.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2020, 08:09:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I might have 4 or 5. Rask, Pasta, Marchand and Bergeron. And Chara is a legend, first ballot HoFer.

Stephon Gilmore is also the defending DPOY in the NFL. He probably is ahead of Tatum.

Most of the guys I mention have rings as well, so there is that to take into consideration too.

Tatum has the potential to be the best most prolific athlete in Boston, but he isn't as good in his sport as some of these guys are in their sport. And he hasn't accomplished as much.

« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2020, 08:11:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I might have 4 or 5. Rask, Pasta, Marchand and Bergeron. And Chara is a legend, first ballot HoFer.

Stephon Gilmore is also the defending DPOY in the NFL. He probably is ahead of Tatum.

Most of the guys I mention have rings as well, so there is that to take into consideration too.
Those are each good. And championships matter a bunch.

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2020, 08:14:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Do any of them have the national figure like Tatum? I can’t say that they do. I don’t think popularity in Boston is what JSD was talking about
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2020, 08:16:26 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I hate to say it but a big reason for this is Belichick having awful drafts over the last few years. Team is now cash strapped with little to show for it. The Bucs have better pieces across the board on offense and could still afford to throw 30m at Brady.

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2020, 08:46:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Along with the Celtics and Bruins seasons.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2020, 08:52:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Along with the Celtics and Bruins seasons.
TP4U

« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2020, 10:44:44 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Idk about you but...Brady passing to Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and OJ Howard?

This feels like 2007 but Bucs edition.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2020, 10:59:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Idk about you but...Brady passing to Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and OJ Howard?

This feels like 2007 but Bucs edition.
Rumors are Antonio Brown will be following Brady to Tampa. Imagine adding him to them, that is, if Brown is allowed to play next year.