Author Topic: Sixers (0-2) at Celtics (2-0) Preseason Game #3 10/9/17  (Read 27527 times)

Sixers (0-2) at Celtics (2-0) Preseason Game #3 10/9/17
« on: October 07, 2017, 09:54:40 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Philadelphia 76ers (0-2)  at  Boston Celtics (2-0)
Preseason Game #3, Home Game #2
Monday, October 9, 2017
7:30 PM ET
TV: NBCSB, NBCSPA, NBA-LP 753(DTV)/752 (Xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, 97.5 The Fanatic
TD Garden

Probable Starters

PG Kyrie Irving........... SG: Jaylen Brown

C:  Al Horford

SF: Gordon Hayward  .............. PF: Jayson Tatum

Celtics Reserves

Kadeem Allen
Jabari Bird
Jonathan Holmes
Shane Larkin
Marcus Morris
Abdel Nader
Semi Ojeleye
LJ Peak
Terry Rozier
Marcus Smart
Jayson Tatum
Daniel Theis
Andrew White
Guerschon Yabusele

Injuries

None

Head Coach

Brad Stevens

Probable Starters

PG: Markelle Fultz ................. SG: Nick Stauskas

C:  Jahlil Okafor

SF:   Justin Anderson  .............. PF:  Ben Simmons

Sixers Reserves
Jerryd Bayless
James Blackmon, Jr
Kris Humphries
Furkan Korkmaz
James Michael McAdoo
TJ McConnell
Emeka Okafor
Jacob Pullen
Amir Johnson

Injuries

Timothe Luwawu Cabarrot (knee) probable
Joel Embiid (knee)  out
Dario Saric (rest) probable
Markelle Fultz (shoulder)  probable
Richaun Holmes (wrist)  out 
JJ Redick (rest)  out
Robert Covington (rest)  out 

Coach
Brett Brown

Game Notes

The Celtics and Sixers meet for the second time this preseason, this time in Boston.  In their first meeting, the Celtics came out on top after the Sixers put up a good fight and stayed with them for much of the game.  The important thing is that the Celtics showed some improvement and look to be building chemistry on both the first and second units. 

I listed the same starters for this game as for Friday's game, but it's the preseason and it's difficult to predict the starters since coaches like to experiment with different lineups.  The Celtics could go back to Baynes in the starting lineup or they could move Marcus Morris into the starting lineup at power forward.  Or, they could start the same group they did in Philadelphia on Friday.

With both Holmes and Embiid out for this game, it seems that the Sixers are down to a pair of Okafors and Amir Johnson.  I’m guessing that they will start Jahlil Okafor and bring Amir off the bench, but then again, they may want Amir in the starting lineup at center to anchor their other young starters.  JJ Redick and Robert Covington are expected to sit out this game for rest. I've guessed that Stauskas and Anderson will start, but I may be way off with those guesses. 

Markelle Fultz missed the game on Friday with shoulder soreness and is listed as probable for this game.  Embiid and Holmes are both listed as out.  Saric has been resting after playing all summer in Eurobasket and  is probable to play in this one. 

Key Matchups
  vs 
Kyrie Irving vs Markelle Fultz
We didn't get to see this matchup because Fultz was out on Friday with a sore shoulder.  Although Ben Simmons does most of the ball handling and runs the offense when he is in the game, Fultz will likely be covering Kyrie.  Fultz disappointed in his first game with the Sixers, struggling with fatigue when he was the primary ball handler and had just 4 points on 2-13 shooting with 3 assists.  Hopefully we will see him in this one.

vs
Jason Tatum vs Ben Simmons
It will be interesting to see if the Celtics start Tatum again in this game.  If so, his defense will be tested as he tries to stop Simmons, who will be initiating the offense for the most part, unless the Sixers decide to end the point forward experiment.  Tatum needs to make Simmons shoot from outside and keep him out of the paint. 

Honorable Mention

Jayson Tatum vs Markelle Fultz
These two players won't be matched up  against each other in the game for the most part, but they are always  going to be compared.  When Danny Ainge traded the #1 pick for the #3  pick and passed on Fultz, who was the consensus top pick, in order to  take Tatum, it assured the fact that these two players will be  scrutinized and compared for the rest of their careers.   

Keys to the Game
Defense - The Celtics' defense was better than expected in their first game against the Hornets.  They have the potential to be a very good defensive team and they need to work hard to live up to that potential.  Defense wins games, even in the preseason.  The Celtics were able to force 24 turnovers in the first game and they need to be tenacious in this game as well. 

Be Aggressive
- The Celtics have to be the more aggressive team and go after all the loose balls, and aggressively go after rebounds, and be aggressive on defense. They also have to be aggressive in taking the ball into the paint.  The more aggressive team will usually get the benefit of the whistles.  The Celtics have been aggressive so far and that has helped them to win both games.  The play of the game was Marcus Smart fighting for a steal and winning.  The Sixers announcers said that Marcus would chew your arm off to get the ball.  The entire team needs to play that way. 

Move the Ball - The Celtics had beautiful ball movement in their first game and they need to work at doing the same in this game.   Hero ball rarely wins games and so they have to consistently move the ball and play together.  If they build those habits in the preseason, it will make them that much tougher to beat when the games count. It would be nice to see the second unit develop that same ball movement. 

Focus
- The Celtics have to be careful not to let up because they beat the Sixers just a few days ago.  The Sixers will be looking to avenge that loss and will come out strong and the Celtics need to be ready for that. 

X-Factors
It's Preseason - Winning isn't always the top priority in preseason games.  Coaches are going to experiment with lineups and try to sit their stars as much as possible to avoid injury before the season.  So, we need to enjoy watching them play and be glad that real basketball is almost back.

Who is Playing - In the first meeting between these two teams, the Sixers were missing several key players.  Embiid and Luwawu are both close to returning from injury and Fultz should be back from sitting out one game with shoulder soreness.  Also, Saric was healthy but sitting out for rest.  Also, Marcus Morris wasn't ready to play for the Celtics after joining the team the day before.  If any or all of these players can play in this one, it may make a big difference. 

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 02:01:11 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Sixers (0-2) at Celtics (2-0) Preseason Game #3 10/9/17
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 09:57:00 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Hopefully Fultz plays.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 09:59:09 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to Rondo9 for being the first to post in the game thread!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!!!   

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 10:33:26 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I can't believe it!  This thread has been up for 24 hours and only one post!   Has Celtics nation already gotten tired of this team?  Has apathy set in?   I'm about as excited for a season as I've been since 2007-08!  Let's Go Celtics!!!! 

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 10:54:11 PM »

Offline cdcd

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 63
Lurker here. Go Celts! And TP FL, as always..

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 10:56:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
It's going to be another fun one. This team is so fun to watch so far!

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 10:59:51 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
LETS GO CELTICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TP to FLCF for a great game thread!!!

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 11:06:55 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Lurker here. Go Celts! And TP FL, as always..

TP for coming out of lurkdom to give this thread a little life!!!   Goooo Celtics!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 11:09:23 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Wearing my Smart jersey to this one.

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 11:23:10 PM »

Offline ayer

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Let's go Celtics!!!! expecting another good game from Theis!!!! hustle from the whole teeam

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 11:43:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Wearing my Smart jersey to this one.

I'm wearing a green jersey with Tatum's name and number drawn on with a sharpie because that NBA gear is way to pricey for me...

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 11:47:29 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
great job once again FL. TP for you!

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 12:05:05 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I can't believe it!  This thread has been up for 24 hours and only one post!   Has Celtics nation already gotten tired of this team?  Has apathy set in?   I'm about as excited for a season as I've been since 2007-08!  Let's Go Celtics!!!!
Fret not wonderful flc. We still love your game threads. I did not see it until now, partly because of the Red Sox today. Forgive me, but it was a heck of a game and I needed to watch it.

But, now I am fully fixated upon this game thread!

First page!!!  Thanks flc, as ever you do a great job. A tp for the thread. And of course.....

Gooooooooooooooooooo Celtics!!!   ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 12:36:55 AM »

Offline CactusThomas

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
I love these pregame write-ups.

LETS GOOOOOO
"Manute Bol! Your mom!!" - Dan Aykroyd

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 07:07:28 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Let's GO Celts! I hope Morris plays some. I want to see them separate from these Sixers early and maintain the lead. TP FLC