Author Topic: SoSH and a fan's chat with ainge...  (Read 6564 times)

Re: SoSH and a fan's chat with ainge...
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The only way those sentences would ever come out of Danny's mouth was if he was clowning.

He wouldn't make comments like those even in jest to complete strangers.

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 09:56:06 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
These dudes hate each other:

... which is why they're hanging out together outside of the team.

Here's how CSN described the relationship between KG and Rondo:

Second, it's fantastic to see KG and Rondo hanging out together. Not that it's any surprise. I think it's fair to say the relationship between these two goes deeper than any inter-athlete relationship in town. Deeper than Brady and Welker. Deeper than Lackey and Beckett. The KG/Rondo dynamic is a complicated mix of father/son, big brother/little brother, Master Po/Grasshopper and buddy/buddy. There are all sorts of ins and outs and what-have-yous. Just know that it's unbelievably special, and there's no relationship more integral to the Celtics success this season. So it's good to see them out having fun, continuing to build on their already rock solid foundation.

Not sure what concerns me more, the article or the fact Rondo is pictured next to Snoop Dogg with a shirt that reads "High" lol

Haha I had the same thought.

Where can I find that picture however? I would love to frame that!

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 10:03:59 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
While I am not sure I buy that any of this is legit, most of that goes directly in line with what I think Danny thinks (although I question whether he would be that open about all of it). 

The only thing I am not sure of is the Rondo/KG thing.  I always thought those two got along decently, and it was Pierce/Rondo and certainly Ray/Rondo where the real problems were.  Although I also wouldn't be that surprised, if they didn't like each other. 

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
While I am not sure I buy that any of this is legit, most of that goes directly in line with what I think Danny thinks (although I question whether he would be that open about all of it). 

The only thing I am not sure of is the Rondo/KG thing.  I always thought those two got along decently, and it was Pierce/Rondo and certainly Ray/Rondo where the real problems were.  Although I also wouldn't be that surprised, if they didn't like each other.

You think Danny believes Jeff Green has been a "debacle"?

You think Danny believes that Perk was hated by his teammates?

You think Danny believes that Anderson Varejao "stinks", or that Rudy Gay "sucks"?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 10:15:50 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

You think Danny believes that Anderson Varejao "stinks", or that Rudy Gay "sucks"?

And those.

Except maybe the last bit.

The last bit and the Rondo-KG bits were the bits that stood out so I kind of overlooked everything else.

Gay's contract and the price tag on Varejao might make it so.

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

His effort to lower their trade values?

Yeah, this smells of something... 

It is why I refuse to give the article another hit. 

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 10:20:46 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
well, at least the source is reliable

...oh wait
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 10:21:07 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I can buy Danny not wanting to take on Gay's contract, or not wanting to meet the Cavs' asking price for a banged up player.

I can't accept Danny thinking that Varejao "stinks", or that Rudy Gay "sucks".  Both players are in the top quintile of all NBA players.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 10:26:56 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Well, I think the "debacle" may not have been a direct quote, since it was going through two people before being posted...but even so, he may call losing him for a year a "debacle".  And based on the context, that could have been what he meant, not his recent play.

Yeah, I absolutely can believe Perk wasn't nearly as well liked as people want to think.  I think he was best freinds with Rondo.  But I also think there was a pretty strong divide between the young guys and old guys at the time Perk was traded.  While KG may have loved him, I could see Pierce, Allen, and some of the other veterans, being sick of his antics. 

Oh, absolutely (although again, not sure we can assume those were exact quotes, or just translations from the kids).  I would not doubt that anyone thinks Rudy Gay stinks (or at least is highly overrated), and Varajao is basically an all defense, no offense guy (never something Danny loved), who is always injured, and despite gaudy numbers, hasn't done much to make his team better.  So, its very believable. 

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 10:36:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think the story was crafted to be "believable" to some though. Along with pushing a POV on the forums, plus general trolling.

The Tony Allen thing in the 07-08 playoffs also popped out to me, because Tony didn't even get in the game for Game 4 for more than a token appearance.

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 10:37:12 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Well, I think the "debacle" may not have been a direct quote, since it was going through two people before being posted...but even so, he may call losing him for a year a "debacle".  And based on the context, that could have been what he meant, not his recent play.

Yeah, I absolutely can believe Perk wasn't nearly as well liked as people want to think.  I think he was best freinds with Rondo.  But I also think there was a pretty strong divide between the young guys and old guys at the time Perk was traded.  While KG may have loved him, I could see Pierce, Allen, and some of the other veterans, being sick of his antics. 

Oh, absolutely (although again, not sure we can assume those were exact quotes, or just translations from the kids).  I would not doubt that anyone thinks Rudy Gay stinks (or at least is highly overrated), and Varajao is basically an all defense, no offense guy (never something Danny loved), who is always injured, and despite gaudy numbers, hasn't done much to make his team better.  So, its very believable.

If Danny thinks Rudy Gay and/or Varejao "stink" or "suck", he doesn't deserve a job in the NBA. 

As for Perk, all we have to go on is what's reported in the media, but here's what he said:

"Going back for the first time, I don't know what to expect. My approach is I want to win the game, but at the same time it is kind of hard with so many friends on the other side. Can I really be Perk out there? Can I really play my style? [Kevin Garnett] is my mentor. Ray [Allen] and Paul [Pierce] are my friends. Doc, we have a father-son relationship. [Rajon] Rondo, we talk every day. It's going to be hard."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/chris_mannix/01/16/kendrick.perkins/index.html#ixzz2Hxrxxv00

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 10:37:57 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Sounds like kids trying to pull a joke on Dad, to me....and Dad falling for it?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 10:39:08 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

I can buy Danny not wanting to take on Gay's contract, or not wanting to meet the Cavs' asking price for a banged up player.

I can't accept Danny thinking that Varejao "stinks", or that Rudy Gay "sucks".  Both players are in the top quintile of all NBA players.

Gay, though, has disappointed me so far (and a few others I'm sure).

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 10:39:30 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

While I think you need to take the actual words with a grain of salt, since even if this is true, it went through a couple people, and at best could be a game of telephone, I also think you can't make assumptions on Danny liking guys, just because they are in the "top quintile of all NBA players".

Danny has always had his binkies, and I think along with that comes guys he hates, not matter what others think.

I am not sure if those guys fall in that category, but I also don't think we can rule it out...for Gay in particular.

I think with Gay, its important to remember the past.  When he was drafted, Danny wanted no part of him.  When Randy Foye was off the board, Danny decided to trade out of the draft rather than take Gay or Roy, and I think that is telling.  Maybe his success has changed things, or maybe not.  In the past Danny has taken chances on old binkies who never panned out, but he thought he could save.  It may work the other way as well. 

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 10:40:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I think the story was crafted to be "believable" to some though. Along with pushing a POV on the forums, plus general trolling.

The Tony Allen thing in the 07-08 playoffs also popped out to me, because Tony didn't even get in the game for Game 4 for more than a token appearance.

Good call on that.  In the one game where Tony did see moderate minutes -- 11 minutes played in Game 5 -- the Celtics lost.