Author Topic: Bucks Fire Adrian Griffin  (Read 12819 times)

Re: Bucks Fire Adrian Griffin
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2024, 10:14:32 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
Right…  ;)

Bucks two-time MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo said the firing of first-year coach Adrian Griffin caught him by surprise, but that he trusts Milwaukee's decision-makers to give the team the best possible chance to win a championship.

"I've got to trust the front office, I've got to trust the ownership group that they consider the bigger picture," Antetokounmpo said following the Bucks' 126-116 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Wednesday night. "My job is to be the best version of myself, to lead this team out there and help win games.

"Their job is to create the best team possible and the best atmosphere around the team possible that they believe gives us a better chance to win a championship. But yeah, I do think [firing coach Griffin] was a surprise."

This guy really has changed. The tantrums he throws at press conferences, the incident with the "game ball" against the Pacers, getting coaches fired, etc. And his shtick about staying with one team his whole life, that is 100% going to be BS. I'll bet good money ($100+) he's gone from Milwaukee after 2025.

He signed an extension so he's under contract 'til 2027-28 with the last year being a player option.

Of course, stuff like that hasn't stopped players from forcing themselves out early.

I hardly think that matters anymore. Numerous players around the league have been able to orchestrate trades even with 3+ years left on their deal. Some have even hypothesized that Jaylen could be traded after this season if the C's get bounced early and JB doesn't like it here, and he just signed a 5-year extension.

The Bucks trading for Lillard felt like desperation. Sorry but I'm not buying the "we needed to get better, period" slant from the Bucks FO, Giannis definitely had a hand in getting Lillard there and forced it to happen. And the Bucks have no choice but to appease their guy

While I agree that star players can and do force themselves out with many years left in their deals, I would caution against bringing up random pot-stirrers hypotheticals about Jaylen Brown.  For years it was that the Celtics would trade him, then it was he wouldn’t sign an extension, then it was the Celtics wouldn’t offer him the supermax, and now it’s he’s going to be traded/force a trade this summer.  Some people just like saying things to be heard, but there’s no reason to echo them.

« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2024, 10:25:23 AM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1400
Right…  ;)

Bucks two-time MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo said the firing of first-year coach Adrian Griffin caught him by surprise, but that he trusts Milwaukee's decision-makers to give the team the best possible chance to win a championship.

"I've got to trust the front office, I've got to trust the ownership group that they consider the bigger picture," Antetokounmpo said following the Bucks' 126-116 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Wednesday night. "My job is to be the best version of myself, to lead this team out there and help win games.

"Their job is to create the best team possible and the best atmosphere around the team possible that they believe gives us a better chance to win a championship. But yeah, I do think [firing coach Griffin] was a surprise."

This guy really has changed. The tantrums he throws at press conferences, the incident with the "game ball" against the Pacers, getting coaches fired, etc. And his shtick about staying with one team his whole life, that is 100% going to be BS. I'll bet good money ($100+) he's gone from Milwaukee after 2025.

He signed an extension so he's under contract 'til 2027-28 with the last year being a player option.

Of course, stuff like that hasn't stopped players from forcing themselves out early.

I hardly think that matters anymore. Numerous players around the league have been able to orchestrate trades even with 3+ years left on their deal. Some have even hypothesized that Jaylen could be traded after this season if the C's get bounced early and JB doesn't like it here, and he just signed a 5-year extension.

The Bucks trading for Lillard felt like desperation. Sorry but I'm not buying the "we needed to get better, period" slant from the Bucks FO, Giannis definitely had a hand in getting Lillard there and forced it to happen. And the Bucks have no choice but to appease their guy

People are making it out like it's easy for players to get out of their deals, especially five year ones...Jaylen would have to be a total malcontent and either sit out games or not show up to training (the Harden method, which basically kills your reputation) or he would have had to have had a total relationship breakdown with his coach and teammates that would necessitate him being shipped out. And if Brad doesn't think there's a good return for him - I don't think he's getting shipped out.

That said, I am in the camp of thinking that Jaylen will inevitably be traded, not because he sucks (he doesn't) or has a bad relationship with his teammates (I doubt that) but because it's just going to be hard to keep everyone we need given the other contracts that we have coming down the pike (Tatum, White, Holiday) and unless Brad wants to be a luxury tax repeater AND constant second apron team someone has to go and I think Jaylen is probably the most expendable, especially if we can get 2 pieces in the $30m range for him so split up that contract. It might not happen for a couple of years but I think it happens before the contract ends. It depends how much of a discount Jrue agrees to for a longer term deal a la Horford, and whether not they end up giving White a near max. In the meantime the goal would be to win a championship (or two) in that window before he has to be moved.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2024, 10:31:18 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1034
Are the Bucks currently paying three head coaches?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2024, 10:38:26 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1625
  • What a Pub Should Be
Are the Bucks currently paying three head coaches?

Yes.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2024, 03:03:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2424
Wow, Doc got PAID. $40 mil for 3 and a half years.

No wonder he left his cushy job in commentary. Big money.

« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2024, 03:30:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Giannis talking about Griffin  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2024, 03:39:12 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3205
Why did they fire Mike Budenholzer if they wanted a coach with championship experience? They need a new front office...

« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2024, 03:44:34 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2424
Antetokounmpo gave a candid answer about his relationship with Griffin, as well as his involvement in front office decisions.

"Have I been in a position be asked "What do you think about that?" or "What do you think about this?" Yeah, many times," Antetokounmpo said. "But I was not involved in the hiring of Coach Griff."

Adding on input vs making the decision

Antetokounmpo added that although he gives input when asked, he's not the one making the decisions for the Bucks.

"I don't make that decision. Don't get me wrong, I wish I did, you know? I wish I did. But I don't," Antetokounmpo said. "I really, really don't. I just try to stick with basketball."

Says he had a good relationship with Coach Griffin. Had just invited him to his wedding.

https://twitter.com/eric_nehm/status/1750387679701709188

« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2024, 03:49:15 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Wow, Doc got PAID. $40 mil for 3 and a half years.

No wonder he left his cushy job in commentary. Big money.

A lot more headaches, though. I'd rather sit and talk about basketball.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2024, 05:43:53 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1612
Why did they fire Mike Budenholzer if they wanted a coach with championship experience? They need a new front office...

crazy eh? he wins a title with them. they fire him feeling he is done and hire this guy who they fire yet they hire RE TREAD doc rivers? WOW JUST WOW

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2024, 06:36:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3205

crazy eh? he wins a title with them. they fire him feeling he is done and hire this guy who they fire yet they hire RE TREAD doc rivers? WOW JUST WOW

Then owners complain about money, LOL...

« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2024, 06:39:58 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
Giannis must be hard to deal with, how many coaches he had so far?? He might went to owners and told them to ax the coach
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2024, 12:40:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
Giannis must be hard to deal with, how many coaches he had so far?? He might went to owners and told them to ax the coach

This is his 4th coach in 11 years (not counting a short sting for an interim coach) which is probably at or maybe below league average for 11 years. Kings by comparison have had 7, Magic 5. Unless Giannis really aggressively pushed for Griffin (which is possible) and then soured on him 40 games in, this doesn't seem like it is really about him being tough to coach.

« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2024, 12:54:51 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

This is his 4th coach in 11 years (not counting a short sting for an interim coach) which is probably at or maybe below league average for 11 years. Kings by comparison have had 7, Magic 5. Unless Giannis really aggressively pushed for Griffin (which is possible) and then soured on him 40 games in, this doesn't seem like it is really about him being tough to coach.
He did really push for Griffin, and chose him over Nick Nurse.  And he has soured on Griffin.

« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2024, 02:44:17 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
Though this is good to see there's locker room issues in Milwaukee. Hope they break apart and Giannis loses it.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)