Author Topic: Sheed by the numbers tonight  (Read 18203 times)

Re: Sheed by the numbers tonight
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 10:16:42 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'm with Jerome Moiso at this point. First, I don't think anyones afraid of Lebron at this point. Respectful? Yes. Scared? No. So I have no idea where that came from.

The animosity towards Sheed even after a big win is understandable because A) He hasn't come close to living up to expectations all year long. B) Hes cashing his checks as if he did. When it looks as if we could have spent that money on a much more useful player. Most anyone really. Because it seems were just flushing money down the toilet for him. C) Chemistry concerns. No
explanation needed. And here's my favorite lol.. D) He called out his own fans!! In an interview the other night they asked him about his up & down year & how he was taking the criticism from the fans & media. His answer? He's not bothered either way. He doesn't care about or listen to his fans or haters. Were all lumped into the same boat in that guys head. So lemme ask you Sheed apologists somthing. Why on earth do you wanna root for a guy who by all means has shown all year he doesn't care about any of you, his detractors, his exorbetant amount of technicals, his lackadasical play, upstaging his coach & teammate in front of a national tv audience.. Shall I go on?

That's not a Celtic! Never has been. Never will be as far as I'm concerned. The excuses are getting old now guys. He's still the same old Sheed from the regular season as far as I see. He doesn't bend his knees on defense. God forbid he ever hustles & gets on the floor for a loose ball. And ya know what. He doesn't care!  

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 10:23:34 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'm with Jerome Moiso at this point. First, I don't think anyones afraid of Lebron at this point. Respectful? Yes. Scared? No. So I have no idea where that came from.

The animosity towards Sheed even after a big win is understandable because A) He hasn't come close to living up to expectations all year long. B) Hes cashing his checks as if he did. When it looks as if we could have spent that money on a much more useful player. Most anyone really. Because it seems were just flushing money down the toilet for him. C) Chemistry concerns. No
explanation needed. And here's my favorite lol.. D) He called out his own fans!! In an interview the other night they asked him about his up & down year & how he was taking the criticism from the fans & media. His answer? He's not bothered either way. He doesn't care about or listen to his fans or haters. Were all lumped into the same boat in that guys head. So lemme ask you Sheed apologists somthing. Why on earth do you wanna root for a guy who by all means has shown all year he doesn't care about any of you, his detractors, his exorbetant amount of technicals, his lackadasical play, upstaging his coach & teammate in front of a national tv audience.. Shall I go on?

That's not a Celtic! Never has been. Never will be as far as I'm concerned. The excuses are getting old now guys. He's still the same old Sheed from the regular season as far as I see. He doesn't bend his knees on defense. God forbid he ever hustles & gets on the floor for a loose ball. And ya know what. He doesn't care!  

So...who else do you propose that Danny Ainge bring in back in July 09?

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 10:25:38 AM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
I'm not a blind Sheed hater, never have been.  But for what its worth, I thought Sheed was awful last night.  Poor rebounding, poor defense, getting that stupid tech in a relatively close game, letting passes slowly roll out of bounds rather than run them down.  

I get it, we were up big for most of his time in the game, and perhaps i sensed just a smidgen of indifference because he was passed over for the starting role, but I thought he was the ONLY Celtics who played poorly last night.  Even Williams, who's been chided in this thread a few times, was hustling for loose balls and tipping the ball back towards the basket.  Not an encouraging sign for a guy who has struggled with effort and consistency all season IMO

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 10:26:47 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I am so happy that Sheed played well in a couple of games this year. He certainly is earning his $5.5 million paycheck. Since the Curtis Rowe/Sidney Wicks days, I have not seen a player suck the life out of a team the way Sheed does.

Fortunately, so far in this series it has not mattered, but we might need him to actually do something if this team is going to do anything in the playoffs.

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
And CelticHooligan - I can certainly believe what you said about Sheed and his comments. He has always been that way. That's him.

But my issue is to Respect Other Folks Opinions. Don't try to change other people's thoughts on things.

That was my Beef all along. I posted what I did about Sheed. I still stand by those posts, and no one On Earth can change them.

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 10:28:55 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
I am so happy that Sheed played well in a couple of games this year. He certainly is earning his $5.5 million paycheck. Since the Curtis Rowe/Sidney Wicks days, I have not seen a player suck the life out of a team the way Sheed does.

Fortunately, so far in this series it has not mattered, but we might need him to actually do something if this team is going to do anything in the playoffs.

And Vinnie - I can certainly understand your angst. You are a Season Ticket holder. I haven't even been to a Celtics game in my life (Yet).

But like I asked CelticsHooligan: Who else could Danny have brought in back in July?

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 10:34:47 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Well, Sheed will be there for us when needed. We still have many games to play until June.

Glen had us covered tonight.
This line of thinking is now comical.  Are we still going to be saying that next year or the year after?

Well, since you went there...

The fact that this thread is even here is comical.

Come one People.

Our team stepped up, Big Time. Without KG. We sent a message to MIA without our Defensive Anchor. Ray, Perk, Rondo and Glen played great.

Pierce will hit his stride soon.

The fact that this thread is even here somewhat demonstrates the fact that there are some people here who will Not like Sheed, no matter what he does.

I try my best to get along, folks, but I won't sit around and let folks belittle my comments here in the chat.

Where is the Respect, People?

For Moiso - what particularly is Comical about my post?

The Fact that The Boston Celtics Could very well be playing in June? Are you seriously counting us out now?

Or the fact that I believe that Sheed will play well for us here in the post season?

or both?
I'm just not sure what kind of evidence it will take for you to adjust your opinion.  There is a pretty enormous body of work this season to look at, plus two ineffective/indifferent playoff games.  Didn't mean to belittle you, sorry if I offended you, but at some point you have to consider the evidence. 

Under the same premise, there had been enormous evidence that Rasheed has been more productive than Glen Davis.. yet Doc decided to play Glen more and it paid off.  You certainly are belittling someone's opinion by wondering why they don't "see what you see", when your opinion is pretty much just conjecture.  I for one am not of the same opinion as you, so am I blind?

It was a great win, but it was one game.  Personally I feel that Rasheed has played decent, but I wish the Celtics would specifically run post plays for him.  Sometimes it doesn't seem like the post (or 3pt line) is his choice, but what Doc and the offense calls.

Also, If we face Cleveland, and potentially Orlando, I honestly believe that Rasheed matches up quite well against them.  Not to detract from Davis, because I was happy about many things he did last night, but if he gets blocked by Miami 5 or 6 times, then Cleveland and Orlando are going to eat him up.  Many of those shots were 3' from the hoop, and thus approx 8 points were lost.  If Ray isn't shooting well, and we're against better competition, 8 points is huge.  

On the flip side, if Rasheed has a very meaningful performance in the future, let's not overreact and say he is awesome and should be getting Perkin's minutes, etc.  

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 10:36:27 AM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'

And Vinnie - I can certainly understand your angst. You are a Season Ticket holder. I haven't even been to a Celtics game in my life (Yet).

But like I asked CelticsHooligan: Who else could Danny have brought in back in July?

I drank the cool-aid on Sheed last summer as well.  In hindsight, I'd take Antonio McDyess any time...

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2010, 10:37:49 AM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
It is difficult to have a big negative +/- in a blowout win, but it happens to even the best of washed up players.  

Sheed had some good moments last night: I saw him play good man defense twice, which was nice.  He also had a couple turnaround jumpers, also nice, and only attempted one or two long jumpers.

But I also saw him not even bend over to catch a pass that missed his fingers by a few inches and bounced out of bounds. And he did not jump for a rebound all game.  

Instead of +/-, someone should devise an algorithm that compares a performance to previous Celtics bench players.  Overall, I'd rate Sheed's performance last night as (Mikki Moore x 4)/Theo Ratliff.

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2010, 10:38:57 AM »

• Don Chaney

I drank the cool-aid on Sheed last summer as well.  In hindsight, I'd take Antonio McDyess any time...

McDyess was not available!  He had already decided he wasn't coming to Boston.

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2010, 10:42:18 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
\

Hindsight is always easy.  Chris Andersen signed for a lower annual value.  Brandon Bass and Matt Barnes signed (together) for what Rasheed did.  Grant Hill (for more money than we originally offered) and Channing Frye.  Ben Wallace, for a minimum salary, would have offered us as much rebounding and defense as Rasheed did.

Of course, I thought it was a good signing at the time.  To date, though, it just hasn't worked out.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2010, 10:42:38 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
And the thing with Dice is that his regular season numbers haven't been that better than Sheeds.

Someone mentioned Drew Gooden a few weeks ago, in a similar thread. I don't know about him, but he seems to be too much up and down for me, and he's playing for the Clips.

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2010, 10:43:11 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

McDyess was not available!  He had already decided he wasn't coming to Boston.

I don't remember reading that.  Regardless, though, I don't think McDyess had a great season, either. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2010, 10:44:22 AM »

• Don Chaney
+/- only has merit of a large sampling.  Under the OP same premise, Glen Davis had the WORST +/- of all starters.  Couldn't you then assume, as you do about Sheed, that he was holding the starters back?  That the starters carried Davis?  Check out the following then to soak up all the +/- you want:

http://www.82games.com/0910/0910BOS1.HTM

At least that link is a large sampling.  

It was a great win and I'm happy for all of the players who did well.  I still think Rasheed will have value in future rounds, this round if Doc better utilizes him, and its nice to have some long bodies off the bench.  

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2010, 10:47:02 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
\

Hindsight is always easy.  Chris Andersen signed for a lower annual value.  Brandon Bass and Matt Barnes signed (together) for what Rasheed did.  Grant Hill (for more money than we originally offered) and Channing Frye.  Ben Wallace, for a minimum salary, would have offered us as much rebounding and defense as Rasheed did.

Of course, I thought it was a good signing at the time.  To date, though, it just hasn't worked out.

Really Good Points, Roy. My guess is that he wanted more Length. Both Bass and Matt are what 6'8"?

Chris Anderson's been hurt a lot this season. Grant didn't want to come. I really liked Grant Hill. Ben Wallace? Sure, but would he come to Boston?

But for some reason, Danny really wanted Sheed. I trust Danny, even though the results haven't been the best. Yet.